RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Cordless or Corded Drill in RV

I would like to ask for what you have in your RV and why? I just can't decide which one to put in the RV.

I have had my RV for 4 years now and I'm finally preparing for the possibility of when the hydraulic jacks or slides stop working and I have to do it manually. I have already watched YouTube videos and reviewed my units document on how to do it. I have the 90 degree attachment and the correct size Allen bits.

I like the idea of a cordless drill but I worry when I need it the batteries will be dead. I could keep the charge in a storage bin that has power and keep them charged. Or, a corded drill that I can store out of the way and plan to never need it. Then, what if I do and where I am at I have no power! Man this killing me. No, I will not take both. Doing so would mean I expect it to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2017 GT5 31L5
dolfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm on a seasonal site so I always have power but I simply have a cordless DeWalt drill with 2 batteries. Well, technically I have 2 drills and 4 batteries as I just upgraded to a brush-less a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I've built multiple decks with them and just swapped out the batteries when needed. They seem to stay fairly well charged even when not using them. They charge pretty quickly as well.

So I'd say go with the cordless with 2 batteries. You can usually find them in a package deal at any of the big box stores for less than $100.

And definitely go with the brush-less. They are so much faster than the older style.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #3

A good quality cordless drill. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

go with a cordless drill, preferably one that has other tools that you could use. a good set of lithium batteries will hold a charge for a long time. i keep a charger in my camper all the time. i use the drill for my stabilizers and the battery fits my vacuum, fan, radio, etc. that we bring with. we always keep a spare on the charger that is ready to go. the batteries stay charged for my entire camping season.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

I use a Ryobi Drill because I have alot of Ryobi tools at home with the same battery. I have found that if you don't use them regularly the batteries tend to go bad even when left on my high tech battery charger that I bought to keep them charged up (it holds six) but even then they go bad. So I usually rotate them with my home batteries also I carry a 12 volt charger that works off my truck and that is good for when I use the drill for my stabs to keep them charged when camping.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

My vote is cordless.
I have two RIGID units plus 2 power packs and charger which take up less space than my big corded model.

Your choice though.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #7

I carry the Dewalt 20V cordless and I have had to use it to raise my jacks when the hydraulic pump went out.

Charleston SC
2 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby and Sage. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
AlBab

I can't rationalize ever needing or using a corded drill :-). I have 18Volt Makita cordless everything. The batteries will easily last a full year at charge when not in the tool. Also I strongly suggest getting a drill that has adjustable torque settings. This will ensure you don't over run on the stabilizers and start jacking it up. Find the right setting and when it slips on the torque, you know you are good to go.

Yes, the Makita tools might be a little more expensive but I have NEVER had a problem with them and I do a lot with them. Just my experience.

happy drilling :-)
AlBab930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Cordless is the way to go. You may not always have power for a corded drill. I have extra batteries and always have one in the charger. If you're on shore power, just keep the charger plugged in one of the extra outlets.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBab930 View Post
I can't rationalize ever needing or using a corded drill :-). I have 18Volt Makita cordless everything. The batteries will easily last a full year at charge when not in the tool. Also I strongly suggest getting a drill that has adjustable torque settings. This will ensure you don't over run on the stabilizers and start jacking it up. Find the right setting and when it slips on the torque, you know you are good to go.

Yes, the Makita tools might be a little more expensive but I have NEVER had a problem with them and I do a lot with them. Just my experience.

happy drilling :-)

I have a cordless drill that's close to 15 years old and works great for all my tasks including running the stabilizer jacks up and down. Two batteries and i just make sure they're fully charged before any trip.

I also own a Corded drill that is both a regular drill and a hammer-drill. Has a 1/2" chuck on it. Not just handy but necessary for drilling larger holes as well as holes for concrete anchors. Not so much useful in the trailer while camping but handy when at the home base.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #11

Lithium ion batteries are so good now days it's changed the dynamic here and cordless is the way to go. They hold their charge a long time. A good battery pack can hold most of its charge many months...
Old 01-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #12
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have a cordless drill that's close to 15 years old and works great for all my tasks including running the stabilizer jacks up and down. Two batteries and i just make sure they're fully charged before any trip.

I also own a Corded drill that is both a regular drill and a hammer-drill. Has a 1/2" chuck on it. Not just handy but necessary for drilling larger holes as well as holes for concrete anchors. Not so much useful in the trailer while camping but handy when at the home base.
Having a "hobby" farm, a corded 1/2" is a must for those projects that require more oomph. So I do have both, but the corded one stays in the tool crib at home. I have an old (mid 90s) DeWalt 12 volt. It has never let me down. I just purchased a 20v lithium ion Porter Cable as a back-up.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 PM   #13

You've got a motorhome with a generator, right?

An alternative (and I'm not necessarily recommending this) would be a corded drill and a very long heavy gauge extension cord that you could plug into an outlet inside the rig powered by the generator or a power port in the cab with a portable inverter.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Having a "hobby" farm, a corded 1/2" is a must for those projects that require more oomph. So I do have both, but the corded one stays in the tool crib at home. I have an old (mid 90s) DeWalt 12 volt. It has never let me down. I just purchased a 20v lithium ion Porter Cable as a back-up.
Mine's a Craftsman 19.2 Volt dating back to around 2004. Just recently had to buy a replacement battery for it as one of the two that came with it gave up. It's definitely been like a timex watch of the cordless drill world. Has taken quite a licking over the years but still works great.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #15

I use cordless drills always. I keep the batteries fresh by using them in flashlights. recharge every couple of weeks.
Dhall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #16

Thumbs up

I have Craftsmen 20 volt lithium ion battery set. They are great I bought a couple of the bigger amp hour batteries. I have a drill, can use as drill and screw driver. I have the socket impact as well for wheels, mini blower that is great for blowing off tables and walkways from dust, dirt. Also have the canister sweeper vacuum. Flashlight, tire air pump. Use them for many things. have at least two batteries and a charger so never out of power then.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #17
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

I also have a Ryobi One+ setup with interchangeable batteries. I also have one those home power stations so I am able to carry one of my spare chargers in the back of my Tacoma and plug in to the inverter and charge up as I drive so the 2 batteries I carry are always charged. I have a Ryobi Impact Drill with the sockets and flex necks I need to raise/lower the stabilizers and to secure my my X-chocks, hence the flex neck and LED flashlights as well
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS(the Hut)
2020-34 nights 2021-???
Christopher J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #18
Site Team

I have a Porter-Cable 20v cordless set like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...&tag=hydsma-20

Costco has a similar set that's cheaper. Love mine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Mine's a Craftsman 19.2 Volt dating back to around 2004. Just recently had to buy a replacement battery for it as one of the two that came with it gave up. It's definitely been like a timex watch of the cordless drill world. Has taken quite a licking over the years but still works great.
I, too, have a craftsman cordless, in fact one is a drill other is an impact driver. Had then for many years and has helped not only me but other's out more than once. Wouldn't leave home without and as mentioned lithium ion batteries stay charged, it seems forever.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #20
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm on a seasonal site so I always have power but I simply have a cordless DeWalt drill with 2 batteries. Well, technically I have 2 drills and 4 batteries as I just upgraded to a brush-less a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I've built multiple decks with them and just swapped out the batteries when needed. They seem to stay fairly well charged even when not using them. They charge pretty quickly as well.

So I'd say go with the cordless with 2 batteries. You can usually find them in a package deal at any of the big box stores for less than $100.

And definitely go with the brush-less. They are so much faster than the older style.
Cordless for sure and ditto on the dewalt.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote