Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Couple questions regarding refrigerator

My family and I will embark on our first camping trip in our 2012 Georgetown 351DS this weekend. I understand this is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to start up your refrigerator before you leave so it will be cold before you leave on your trip and secondly, is it ok to travel with it on while driving?
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #2

Plug your rig into shore power the day before to cool your fridge, then switch to propane once you are underway.

Yes. It is perfectly fine to keep it running while driving.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks, Yarome!
edmonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonh View Post
Thanks, Yarome!
Not a problem. Never hesitate to ask questions. Have a great time this weekend!!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw you'll hear both sides to "traveling with fridge on" traveled with fridge on for over 10 years!
HAVE FUN!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Plug your rig into shore power the day before to cool your fridge, then switch to propane once you are underway.

You probably have the 4 door fridge with ice maker. Set the control to "auto" and switching between AC and propane will occur automatically (battery disconnect cannot be in disconnected position for propane control). There is an automatic 15 or so minute (could be longer) spark cutout for the propane side from the ignition switch for when stopping for fuel etc.. Driving with fridge on propane is not an issue to me but there are numerous detractors to this practice. Of course if you don't have the 4 door fridge then this input is a moot point.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
WDK

I get the thought in safety but I am still baffled by those who will run with the propane off thinking that keeping the frig closed will keep things cold until they arrive. Any trip more than a few hours which is a short trip to say the least, is going to take a toll on your snacks.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

If you can plug it in, on level ground, will be the quickest. It not, I just turn on the coach battery and turn the propane gas on and in the morning it will be nice and cold. Still has to be pretty level. Check the error light after a few minutes to make sure all is OK.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #9

I've found it helps to start a burner on the stove (which is right next to the fridge in our setup) to ensure that the air has been bled from the lines as much as possible. We've never had an issue with traveling with the fridge on AUTO, so it uses propane as we travel.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
I've found it helps to start a burner on the stove (which is right next to the fridge in our setup) to ensure that the air has been bled from the lines as much as possible. We've never had an issue with traveling with the fridge on AUTO, so it uses propane as we travel.
Hey I do that same thing...it also tells me that, yep, the propane is on and has gas!

We've always left the propane on while driving for the fridge but I have those tanks in mind if, God forbid, we're ever in a bad accident. (To run back there and shut them off.)

Also, don't forget to shut off the propane tanks when refueling at gas stations...and turn them back on right after you pull out.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #11

Why not just run the fridg on 12v while driving. The alternator keeps the batteries charged and the batteries will run the fridg...or am I missing something?
smarks1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks1632 View Post
Why not just run the fridg on 12v while driving. The alternator keeps the batteries charged and the batteries will run the fridg...or am I missing something?
Only pop ups or small campers have a 3 way fridge.
Gas / 110v / 12v

Most campers are
Gas/ 110v
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks1632 View Post
Yes, you're missing something. The fridge is either propane or AC power.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post

Agree. BUT consider shutting the refer off when refueling. Even if you are diesel, your refueling neighbor might be fueling gas. Your propane refer has an exposed flame that could ignite gasoline fumes.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, you're missing something. The fridge is either propane or AC power.
The circuit board in a two-way propane/120v refrigerator requires 12v to function. It always needs 12v.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
WDK

You can buy a three way option frig or you can install an outlet if you don't already have one to an inverter and run AC off your batteries as you travel but I am still for using the propane.

WDK
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #17

Also, don't forget to shut off the propane tanks when refueling at gas stations...and turn them back on right after you pull out.[/QUOTE]

oooops, we have never done this....does anyone else do this? We have a Forester class "c"
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #18
WDK

Never have cross country and back.....have you seen where that flame is on your burner....if the fumes at the gas station are that bad then you would be able to smell them and that is a station I would leave immediately. California requires a device to capture fumes at the pump. Anyway, at best I would just turn off the frig for a bit to put the flame out, not close the valve.

WDK
Old 02-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
Anyway, at best I would just turn off the frig for a bit to put the flame out, not close the valve.

WDK
If you are going to shut down when refueling, that is the only way to be safe. Just shutting off the propane doesn't do diddly. Your fridge will still spark trying to ignite the propane burner whether you're feeding it LP or not.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #20

Quote:
oooops, we have never done this....does anyone else do this? We have a Forester class "c"
Nope. I'm not advocating against taking an extra safety precaution by shutting off your reefer or turning off your cell phone when refueling if that makes you feel more comfortable... just personally, I don't.

Tags
refrigerator