Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

craziest problem with your black tank

Recently moved from a class C to a small Class A. Unit was used (one year old) and low mileage. Wife and I took it on a few trips and being handy with tools had a few problems but have been able to fix them myself. Only thing that was acting weird was the Black tank never really dumped as I expected was slow running and kept getting what I thought were false readings on the sensor saying 1/3 full even though it appeared that everything was dumping but slowly. We recently visited a State Park that had a triple stall dump station so I figured that I would give unit a good cleaning out , fill dump, fill dump, and wouldn't backup the traffic using the site. Well after four times of filling and dumping guess what broke loose and flew out???? One of these stupid spinners that the youger kids like to play with......., it was partially blocking the black tanks and only allowing some of the stuff to exit. After it flushed out the Black tanks dumped as I expected.

Attention all grandparents make sure you know what toys the grandkids have with them on trips or they may cause problems later.
RedTom113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #2

WOW! I would have thought the spinner small enough to make it out of a 2" sewer opening.

You know what I suspect? The Pyramid of Poo

A lot of RV owners do not know how to properly use a black tank. The biggest sin is not enough water. In fact I have seen folks hook up their RV and then proceed to open not only the gray valve but the black one as well

Depending on the mood, I will usually offer some friendly advice

Anyway, I am willing to bet that was your real culprit and your repeated dumps finally dislodged the pyramid 'O Poo

You might want to get some SEA-Zyme (or some use RV RidX), fill your tank with water, and let the enzyme/bacteria colony munch away at whatever is left in your black tank -- might not be a bad idea to do that to your gray tank as well - stuff washed down the sink and shower can cause a build up in the gray tank as well.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Ah the perils of buying used equipment. We've all been there before, lord knows I sure have, it's a real Pandora's Box sometimes.
Whenever we go on a trip and are joined by newcomers, they always get a quick indoctrination on the dos and don'ts of RV life. Most involve the bathroom, this includes what can and can't go down the hopper, flushing limits depending on existing hookups (my dad-in-law insists in 5 minute flushes, bad idea when boondocking), and my favorite? Always have a seat, regardless of gender or...purpose. Keeps everything cleaner because we men have the occasional habit of missing the target .
Good thing that spinner finally found its way out. Happy camping!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank