Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Day time running / clearance lights 08 34 ft Forest River Se

Day time running / clearance lights not working. Brake, turn and tail lights work. I have 5 fuses inside the motor home Ford fuse block( near emergency brake) that aren’t getting power. I’ve checking the wiring, swapped relays and all the big fuses in the engine compartment test working 12 volt load tester. Rear clearance lights had water in them. Dried them out and still no power? Any help appreciated.

FF

FF
ffalgoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Check these fuses inside the engine compartment that is sticking out of the fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	211881  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #3

Ok. I changed it with a 15 amp fuses and that didn’t work. Checked all fuses under the black cover next to green fuse block. I also checked the wires on the back of the light switch(. Tested with a 12 volt light? . Do you thing it’s possible a wired pulled out on the backside of the inside Ford fuse panel ??
Old 08-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

In my GT the daylight running lights are interconnected with the parking brake. Parking brake must be disengaged to get front daylight running lights. Clearance lights are another story.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

In Iggy's photo there is a relay panel directly below the shown fuse panel and the largest relay inside supplies power for the running lights but also for headlights and unless there is a problem with just one pole in the relay it is not an issue. Who knows.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

Sorry some questions
Do the High & Low beam headlights work ?
Which inside fuses do not have power ?
Is their a good solid ground on the headlights ?
You should be able to check for ground at one of the headlights.
I had a problem with headlights and found a loose ground connection. The badly rusted ground connection was attached to the frame works below the brake system and in line with the steer column.

See below for a Ford DRL schematic
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Day Time Running Lites schematics copy.pdf (47.4 KB, 38 views)
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #7

ffalgoust

I should have mentioned that the schematic is typical DRL wiring, and may not be exactly the same on a F53 chassis

Sorry
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #8

The headlights work on low and high. The instrument panel however doesn’t illuminate, along with white backlighting for the rocker switches fan, fog lights, etc. along with a couple of other 5 to 2.5 amp fueses. Will try to post Ford diagram. Thanks
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #9

Number six relay feeds parking lamp feeds instrument panel number 41 fuse, warning chime module trailer tow running light lamp relay coil/P dimmer module. I swapped #6 and #5 relay and noticed no difference.
#10 fuse feeds DRL
Sorry can diagram to post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #10

Sorry I can’t get my diagram to load.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #11

You did not mention checking fuses in the BCC. There is a number of fuses in the BCC which supply power to the Dash.
The only other thing I can think of, is the ground connection on the steering wheel shaft under the dash or a a loose connnector in the same area.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

mbtelguy I think you figured it out.

YES I think the ground is a problem not any fuse.

Didn't know about any ground on the steering column but their is another ground location in the engine (drivers side) compartment that has a few ground wiring going to the frame that needs to be checked.
Look between the two horns and you will see a bunch of wires going to one screw into the frame. The rust builds up under the screw so it needs to be cleaned and reattached with a big head screw.
Here is a picture..
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	212006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	212007