Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #1

Desperate for help —major electrical issues

In August I Was preparing my 1918 Georgetown V - 36b for a trip. I hadn’t used it since April and when I left it everything was fine. I had been in it periodically and kept battery charged. When I got in it I flipped the light under the tv over the kitchen sink the ceiling lights in living area wouldnt work. I had no power at the switch. I checked all fuses and anything I could see.So I went camping and after two days at 5 am both AC units shut off. Upon checking I found ceiling light in back bathroom was out both bathroom vent fans and no power to thermostats. I packed up and came home. I replaced batteries. 350 dollars Took it to a local guy who said I had lost a ground so be back fed the bathroom light from the back furnace to the ceiling light which restored power to vent fans and thermostats. He back fed ceiling lights from fixture over the sink as the switch was only a foot away. All was well. 350 dollars Headed to Charleston SC Tuesday. Overnighted at Home Depot in Spartanburg ran generator all night and AC worked great. Got to Charleston and plugged in. Had no power to thermostats or vent fans. Also lost power to hallway ceiling light. I am wits end. I cannot find a bad fuse or connection. I seem to have found some dead spots on my 12 volt distribution panel at the foot of the bed but not sure if I have a bank of wires slowly coming lose or if the panel is bad. I went out and paid 350 dollars for a portable AC so I could enjoy my trip to Charleston. This coach has had tons of issues since purchasing in 2018 most of which I have replaced or repaired my self. Any help is appreciated.
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Old man RVer

Why no help?

Usually, a cry for help like yours garners dozens of responses within hours. When I saw yours hadn't I thought I'd jump in and try to help. Perhaps the reasons for the lack of responses is some difficulty understanding your situation.

What do you mean by "back feeding" the electrical circuit? It's a term that's misused a lot. Are there GFCI outlets/breakers involved and have they tripped? Did you or anyone else doing any changes/modifications to the wiring?

I'm a retired building maintenance mechanic and will I'll try to help.
2WheelJon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical