Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Dicor... Bubbling roof??

Well last week cleaned up and re caulked my roof with Dicor self level.. Today I go up and discover that in 4 spots the Dicor looked like it had bubbled.. Upon closer inspection it appears that the rubber roof under the Dicor had swelled creating the bubble... Don't know what happened or if this is going to be a problem??

Thoughts opinions?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414787456.786067.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	648.9 KB
ID:	65692Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414787477.514434.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	65693Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414787495.688826.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	65694
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

Anyone have any thoughts on this..? From what I read when a rubber roof swells it's because it was attacked by solvent.. Cleaned area with denatured alcohol..just alike all the others areas... Anyone have any thoughts on what might of happened?? Will the bubbling will go down?? The membrane and Dicor still look in good shape should I leave it as is or should I buy some eternabond and patch over them??
Old 11-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

I don't know much about RV roofs, but I surely don't like the look of the bubbles. If it were me, Id seek a pro's opinion...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Called dealer.. Explained it to them on phone..All they could tell me is that's weird.. Make an appointment and bring it down..there 3-4 weeks out..lol
Old 11-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

My first thought is why are there these blobs of dicor in areas where there are no, seams, antennas or vents. Second thought some things going on under the roof material? You said "From what I read when a rubber roof swells it's because it was attacked by solvent", did you use a lot of alcohol that caused this? I have fixed a roof before but never saw this. Too many questions best one is it under warranty if yes take it in and let them look.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Reason there is Dicor there..is because previous owner removed his satellite dish..and plugged the holes with butyl caulk.. It wasn't adhering well..So I removed and gave it a quick rub with a rag with alcohol..( there was a lot of condensation on roof so I used a roll of paper towels drying the areas..).. I read that Dicor has petroleum distillates... Wonder if I may have put it on to thick(1/4") .. And the curing period caused this..??? Wondering if I should have used something else on those holes since it wasn't on a over lapping seal....funny thing is its just bubbling under the Dicor .. Doesn't stretch beyond the perimeter of the Dicor...

Also it was applied in direct sunlight.. On a 90* day.. So it skimmed quickly..(less than 20min).. Wondering if the petroleum distillates gassing out may have caused this??
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

Some anecdotal info HERE.

FAQ page indicating bubbles on the roof do not compromise the integrity of the roof HERE

On edit: actually if you do a google search "dicor lap sealant bubbling" you will find many discussions on the topic that might help you determine what's going on.
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

I think I would have covered the spots with eternabond then gone around the edge with a bead of dicor. Might be where the Dish was removed stretched the roof material in that spot.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Thanks Ham bone..I tried to google yesterday but I guess I didn't word it correctly..so got nothing back on my initial search..but your recommendation turned up quite a few.. ( Im not alone..lol)..I guess Dicor says it happens all the time to some degree..But it will settle back down after a while...( Once the Dicor cures for a few weeks.. ) Seems the petro dist in the Dicor causes this and the thicker you put it on the the longer it takes to settle back down..

Also read as also posted above... That if the roof was already loose it would contribute to it also...

Thanks again guys.. Appreciate all you guys taking the time to help..Stay safe

Tags
roo, roof