Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Door will not latch closed in cold weather

I have an issue with my 2015 328 where when it is cold outside I cannot latch the door closed. In cold weather the door latch mechanism does not want to fit into the strike plate. As soon as the temperature warms up the door closes normally.

This is not a new issue for me, it has happened in the past, but since we try to stay in warm weather all of the time I don’t have to deal with it very often.

We are currently wintering in Yuma AZ. This morning the temperature dropped to 36 degrees and once again the door would not latch closed. The temperature has now risen to 45 degrees and the door does latch with some force. As soon as the temperature reaches 60 degrees I know the door will latch normally.

Just curious if any others have experienced this same issue and if so, where you able to correct the issue. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this happens and what adjustments to the door can be made.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Have you tried lubricating the latch mechanism with lithium grease?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Have you tried lubricating the latch mechanism with lithium grease?
Try pushing in on the door from the outside. If it closes You may need to use a file on the receiver side of the latch.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
dfp

This has happened to me as well and I have adjusted and readjusted the strike plate to working conditions. Everything swells or contracts with varying temperature and humidity. I am in Yuma as well.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

X2 on the lithium grease.

Then study up real close where the door meets the striker plate. Somebody is just out of alignment enough that the cold is causing some meter component to shrink enough to cause your trouble. Shouldn’t need to much adjustment by screw loosening and realignment or a little bit of filing.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
This has happened to me as well..... I am in Yuma as well.
Hmmmmmm.....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #7

Loose screws. I had 14 loose screws on my rig. Also had to lower the strike plate.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #8

I have seen doors on homes that need to have the strike plate adjuster twice a year
The front door on our home in the winter,,, the Dead Bolt does not line up right,,,
until Spring !!! Very glad that we do not use that door !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

Almost the same issue. 2018 Grey wolf 27RR. Door worked fine. Went to AZ in Oct. and the door would not latch. Did some adjustments and got it to latch. Upon returning to Ohio in Nov., I retuned it to the dealer for a correct adjustment. When it started to get colder, the door would pop open on its own. After popping open for several days, I used the dead bolt to keep it closed until spring for another trip to the dealer.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #10

OP leave us out to dry?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #11
Steelhorzz

Colder yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
I have an issue with my 2015 328 where when it is cold outside I cannot latch the door closed. In cold weather the door latch mechanism does not want to fit into the strike plate. As soon as the temperature warms up the door closes normally.

This is not a new issue for me, it has happened in the past, but since we try to stay in warm weather all of the time I don’t have to deal with it very often.

We are currently wintering in Yuma AZ. This morning the temperature dropped to 36 degrees and once again the door would not latch closed. The temperature has now risen to 45 degrees and the door does latch with some force. As soon as the temperature reaches 60 degrees I know the door will latch normally.

Just curious if any others have experienced this same issue and if so, where you able to correct the issue. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this happens and what adjustments to the door can be made.

Just got back from a 2 week trip to the Midwest. We have a 2012 GT 360. The colder it got, (and we had many nights and days, in single digits), the harder it was to open and close both the door on the coach, and the basement compartments.

I adjusted the door latch a bit and it improved.
For the basement doors, I sprayed WD 40 in both the locks, and the latch mechanisms. They freed right up. Working well!! Probably have to shoot some lithium grease in them now that I'm back home in SoCal .
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door