Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #1

Driver Side Window Leak

Has anyone had water dripping down from the middle of the inside top of their Driver's (or Passenger's) window? If you look at the pictures, the red arrow (inside image) shows where the water is coming down from every time it rains. On the outside image, the red arrow is where I looked, but do not see any obvious gap in the window rubber seal, but it may me identical to my Front Windshield leak that had a rubber gasket installed without "any" sealant. I had to remove, reseal, and then reinstall it in order to stop its massive raining inside whenever it was raining outside.

The white arrows show some of the 2 or 3 dozen screws on the window frame. I assume I would need to tape the window on the outside to prevent it from falling out after all of the crews and the inside frame are removed. Does anyone have experience with this procedure or problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive Side Inside sm.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	196271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive Side Outside sm.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	196273  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Has anyone had water dripping down from the middle of the inside top of their Driver's (or Passenger's) window? If you look at the pictures, the red arrow (inside image) shows where the water is coming down from every time it rains. On the outside image, the red arrow is where I looked, but do not see any obvious gap in the window rubber seal, but it may me identical to my Front Windshield leak that had a rubber gasket installed without "any" sealant. I had to remove, reseal, and then reinstall it in order to stop its massive raining inside whenever it was raining outside.

The white arrows show some of the 2 or 3 dozen screws on the window frame. I assume I would need to tape the window on the outside to prevent it from falling out after all of the crews and the inside frame are removed. Does anyone have experience with this procedure or problem?

I had a window start to separate and almost fall out. So go to a glass installer and get it taken out and reseal.
Don ps do not leave it will vibrate out!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
I had a window start to separate and almost fall out. So go to a glass installer and get it taken out and reseal.
Don ps do not leave it will vibrate out!
The situation is water comes (drips) down from the middle of the metal rim that goes around the glass, but is inboard of the inner layer of the window glass. The roof is fine with no leaks, so my best educated guess is somehow the rubber seal is not making 100% contact with the RV side on top allowing water to find a way in and then dribble down.

As soon as it warms up in a few weeks, I'll Remove and reseal the window gasket, just like the installer did for my front windshield.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

I have the same problem. Started in late fall. It has been too cold to do anything with it this winter here in Northern New York. Let us know how you make out. I may be doing the same thing once it warms up. I do not have any experience with replacing a window so any help will be appreciated.
Jasper J. 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #5

Talking driver side window leak

Look directly above the driverside leak you have, from the outside. You will probably see a cap seam going up and over the roof in that area. Examine the seam closely, and you will find separation of the sealant, usually where it curves over the roof. Peel the loose sealant, clean with solvent, and you will see a void. Make sure when you apply the new sealant, you get it in the void too. Usually this is just skimmed over from the factory. Your leak travels the "sandwich" area and drips to the inside at the window.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2corvette View Post
Look directly above the driverside leak you have, from the outside. You will probably see a cap seam going up and over the roof in that area. Examine the seam closely, and you will find separation of the sealant, usually where it curves over the roof. Peel the loose sealant, clean with solvent, and you will see a void. Make sure when you apply the new sealant, you get it in the void too. Usually this is just skimmed over from the factory. Your leak travels the "sandwich" area and drips to the inside at the window.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I do not think it is that because I resealed that area not too long ago. 2nd picture

The 2 exterior window "joints" are fwd lower and upper rear on that window exterior frame. They appear OK (no way to tell because the idiots that supply the exterior door to FR covering the external TV have a frame joint on top vs bottom and it leaks like a sieve - another item to solve soon), but are not in the path anyway.

Again, based on my front W/S disaster (first picture), my gut expertise says that although the rubber window seal appears fine it is probably the source of the leak due to missing sealant. I'll be able to tell once I take the window out and see whether or not I see any sealant. You would think none would be necessary if designed and installed correctly, but this industry is lacking on both accounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ws leak 05.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	196392   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof reseal.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	196393  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Wow.

You removed your own windshield?

You’ve got waaaaaaaaaaay more guts than I could ever hope to have.

Good on you if it fixed things for you.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #8

Red face May need more than a simple solution

I had the same type of leak on my new rig (less than 2000 miles and 6 months old). The dealer had to actually reseal the entire roof, which took about 6 weeks for them to finish. If your fix has not stopped the problem you may need to have them jump in on the action.

Camping 45 years, new to Motorhomes
Angeldog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldog123 View Post
I had the same type of leak on my new rig (less than 2000 miles and 6 months old). The dealer had to actually reseal the entire roof, which took about 6 weeks for them to finish. If your fix has not stopped the problem you may need to have them jump in on the action.

Camping 45 years, new to Motorhomes
Pic of roof reseal is UNRELATED to this new problem. I was being proactive and resealed are I thought could turn into a future problem. 'thought process is still on Reseal driver's window. Pic of my WS reseal was example of what I will be doing. Unlike many, I am an OEM and find the source of problems (rifle vs shotgun approach) vs guess.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #10

Update

'spoke with Parkin who is the distributor for Hehr rv windows. Wow, what an ordeal. Extremely difficult discussion trying to understand how windows are manufactured (put together) - bad communication skills, then he says how badly they are manufactured - Leak can be broken this, that, or pin holes s in windows, … everything but a simple bad installation. Great distribution rep for a manufacturer! The rv industry ______ never ceases to amaze me.

I'm still going on my personal assumption, because it is the most likely, that FR installed it incorrectly with or without proper sealing tape on exterior frame.

Tags
leak, window