Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #21

After a two week, 3,000 mile trip in our Ford 450 both my heels were killing me. I could barely walk there was so much pain. Think it must have been the angle of my feet with the higher than normal seat. Anyone else ever experience that?
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
After a two week, 3,000 mile trip in our Ford 450 both my heels were killing me. I could barely walk there was so much pain. Think it must have been the angle of my feet with the higher than normal seat. Anyone else ever experience that?
This happened to me last year.
It went away in time but I just wonder is a soft foam pad on the floor near my heal will reduce the stress on my foot.

Let's see if other have had similar issues.

Thanks

Google Search and found this....

Yes, You Can Get Foot Pain from Driving (No, You’re Not Alone)

Truck Drivers & Commuters Can Easily Suffer Foot & Ankle Pain from Driving

Slick roads, drunk drivers and road rage aren’t the only dangers of driving—simply driving a car or truck can cause serious problems in your feet and ankles.

Being stuck behind the wheel for long hours (whether in heavy traffic, as a truck driver or on a road trip), driving a vehicle you’re not used to or a car with resistant pedals can all hurt your feet. Driving can also worsen existing foot problems and make it seem like driving was the cause.

Common types of foot and ankle pain caused by driving:

• Pain across the top of the foot
  • Stiffness and pain in the ankle
  • Joint pain, especially the large joint of the big toe
  • Pain or bruising in the heel or up the back of the heel
  • A burning sensation in your foot
  • Achilles tendon pain

If you feel pain in your foot, heel or ankle during or after driving, it’s important to determine the root of the problem and take care of your feet so you can still drive (and walk!) when you need to.

Driver’s Foot (also known as Accelerator Foot or Clutch Foot) is a condition brought on by repetitive stress.

Driver’s Foot can be caused by:

• Manual transmission
  • Too much pedal resistance
  • No cruise control
  • Seat not adjusted properly
  • Poor choice of footwear
  • Too much driving

Your feet were designed for walking, not driving. The constant pressure of pushing on a tough clutch or accelerator puts stress on the muscles, joints and tendons of your feet and ankles. Over time, this pain can spread to your knees, hips and back.

Pivoting on your heel or flexing your ankle may seem like small movements, but the stress adds up over time.

FREE Low-Cost Treatments for Driver’s Foot, Ankle and Heel Pain

1. Always adjust the car seat and steering wheel to the most comfortable position possible. Driving with the seat too close to the pedals means your ankle joint gets compressed. Having the seat too low puts more pressure on the tendons at the back of your heel. Give yourself plenty of time to find the ideal distance, height and angle for your body.

2. Wear comfortable, practical shoes for driving. Unless you’re in a Flintstones car, nobody’s going to see your feet while you’re driving. Save the high heels, flip flops and burnt-out kicks for when you get where you’re going. Wear a sneaker or running shoe with plenty of cushioning and support. Leave a pair in your car so you don’t have any excuses.

3. Comfy shoes not enough? Armor up. The drugstore, superstore or online retailer of your choice has literally thousands of products to cushion or support your feet and ankles. Someone else out there has the same foot, ankle, heel or toe pain you do while driving and product reviews can be great sources of information. Find a place with a good return policy, do your research and treat your feet to some pads or inserts. You can also get custom orthotics from a podiatrist for a perfect fit.

4. Move, already. On a long haul, take breaks to walk, stretch and flex your feet and ankles. If possible, take your shoes off or do some fast foot exercises. At home after driving, get out the foot massager, foam roller or even just a tennis ball and roll your foot around on it to loosen up tight muscles and connective tissue.

5. The old standby: ice and elevate. You know the drill.

Remember: driving could be aggravating an underlying problem in your feet, ankles or heels such as plantar fasciitis, heel spurs or many other conditions. If you get the pain when you’re not driving, or if nothing seems to help, see a podiatristfor a professional evaluation. We’ll determine the underlying cause of the pain and an effective treatment.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #23

Very good info. Thanks. I never let the gas tank go below 1/2. Therefore I stop every 3-4 hours. I walk around, lay down and or stretch on these stops which can last 1/2 hour or so. This also helps to prevent sleepiness on the road.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #24
Road Warrior

When I get that pinched nerve feeling in my right neck and shoulder my wife gets up and massages it as I continue to drive, after about 5 to 7 minutes of a firm massage it feels great and I'm good to go for another 2 hours
mikedawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #25

Driving and Chair Fatigue

I am proud to report that I took the advice and purchased two small accent pillows, tube sock filled with tennis balls. Then drove 1,100 miles in 2 days and felt great. I changed the position of my arms with the pillows on the arm rests. Use the tube socks filled with the tennis balls to work against any tension points. I would put the sock behind my back, lean on it and pull the remaining part of the sock Up and over my shoulders to work against any tension points. Amazing. Thank You
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #26

You’re welcome! Just got back from 5,200 mike, 7 week trip. Wouldn’t be without my tennis ball socks!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMILLER55 View Post
You’re welcome! Just got back from 5,200 mike, 7 week trip. Wouldn’t be without my tennis ball socks!

Works great, thank you. Welcome Back.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #28

I will have to try the tennis balls and sock as well as the small pillows on the arm rests. Long cross country trip coming up shortly.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #29

Just started looking around for the armrest pillows and look what I found on Ebay for $8.01 Free Shipping and no tax.
It says for Office Chairs but still should work for our.
Should raise the are enough to reduce the stress in the shoulders.

I will let you know how they are next week when they arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pad3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	183630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pad1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	183631  
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #30
D W

IMHO drugs and gadgets treat symptoms, not causes. The best relief at onset of symptoms is to stop, get out of the vehicle and walk around and stretch. If you are that pressed for time that you don't have time to stop then maybe you need re-look your schedule. Obviously, your body is trying to tell you something.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #31

I can’t you guys are suggesting beer and bourbon!!! What’s wrong with you people?!?! It should be Capt. Morgan Black and Coke Zero!! This forum is misguided.......
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #32
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbegoon View Post
I can’t you guys are suggesting beer and bourbon!!! What’s wrong with you people?!?! It should be Capt. Morgan Black and Coke Zero!! This forum is misguided.......
Who's Capt. Morgan?,... and does Coke Zero mean "no coke"?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote