Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #1

Driving tip please

Here is the situation. I was getting off the highway and I was in the proper lane to turn left. Once I reached the stop sign I looked right and the road literally curved back to where I can not see a vehicle coming from that direction and I also could not see if that road had a stop or yield sign. I had no way to see them and no way to know if they were supposed to stop or yield.
What would you do in that situation to make a left turn safely?
Also I was alone - no help from a passenger.

Jimbo

Ps I didn’t think to use my right turn signal camera to see if I could tell if any vehicles were approaching Mainly because the vehicles behind me would think I was turning right and I already had a car come up on my left side but luckily for him and me he backed up to get out if the way as I had my left turn signal on.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

All you can do is look as far as you can see, merge out slowly and proceed with caution.

Sometimes cocking the vehicle towards the blind intersection helps the view but also gives that look of not knowing which way you are wanting to go to others. I've also used my power mirror(s) to scroll out for a better look but sometimes that isn't even enough.

Question... if you were in the proper lane to turn left, how did the car manage to come up beside you on the left and then back out?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 04-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

My thoughts exactly as 5 picker said.
Especially the guy coming alongside on your left side. Was he driving completely on the shoulder?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 04-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #4

Well

2 lanes were left turn and the other was a straight/right turn. Your clue should have been I was in the Proper lane for a left hand turn. The inside left turn lane is not considered proper for a left hand turn in a 40 foot rv.
The driver who came up to my left and then backed out did so cause he saw I was trying to turn left instead of going straight.

Jimbo
Old 04-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc4ut View Post
2 lanes were left turn and the other was a straight/right turn. Your clue should have been I was in the Proper lane for a left hand turn. The inside left turn lane is not considered proper for a left hand turn in a 40 foot rv.
The driver who came up to my left and then backed out did so cause he saw I was trying to turn left instead of going straight.

Jimbo
I was confused initially as well. The fact that it was a double-turn lane was the missing context.

You don't see too many double-turn lanes with only stop signs though. Most I've been through are controlled by lights.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I was confused initially as well. The fact that it was a double-turn lane was the missing context.

You don't see too many double-turn lanes with only stop signs though. Most I've been through are controlled by lights.
Yup….just to add. If your motorhome was in the right lane of the two lanes marked for a left turn, and you think it was hard to see oncoming traffic from the right, imagine the view of the person in that left lane, and how absolutely impossible it is to see around your motorhome to the right.

Yeah……I really believe it should have had traffic signals. JMO.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 04-07-2022, 12:15 PM   #7

Ok

Now that we have determined that the state of Texas department of transportation has a screwed up intersection I’ll ask again. What would you do to get into the intersection and turn left safely?

Jimbo
Old 04-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Now that we have determined that the state of Texas department of transportation has a screwed up intersection I’ll ask again. What would you do to get into the intersection and turn left safely?

Jimbo
Whenever I can't see clearly in a situation like you described I do the best I can then proceed SLOWLY. I'll also turn off radio and roll down both windows to see if I can hear any approaching traffic or horns.

Short of having someone get out and look, then waving you out, that's about all one can do in a case like that.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 04-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #9

Yep

That’s what I did - I pulled out very slowly praying no one would come around the corner and slam into me. If I could have been in the right lane I could have turned right then doubled back.
Thinking about this situation more what I should have done is use my right turn signal and turn from middle lane to right lane then turn right at intersection. Probably would have been my safest option and one I’ll use if I ever get in this situation again.

Surprised this has not happened to others!!! Had it happen outside a town in Louisiana but wife was in toad and she told me it was clear ( walkie talkie ) on my blind side.

Jimbo
Old 04-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
2 lanes were left turn and the other was a straight/right turn.
The driver who came up to my left and then backed out did so cause he saw I was trying to turn left instead of going straight. Jimbo
You were in a left turn only lane; why would the driver on your left think you would be going straight and is there only one lane available on the cross road making the turn onto?
Can you provide what and where this intersection is so we all can take a look see?
Old 04-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #11

Oh my

I am a full-timer and I don’t even remember the town; never mind the intersection of said town. Why would I remember that? It happened last Saturday between Corpus Christi and Montgomery Texas.
When you travel do you remember the name of the exit and the street it intersects?

Jimbo
Old 04-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
I am a full-timer and I don’t even remember the town; never mind the intersection of said town. Why would I remember that? It happened last Saturday between Corpus Christi and Montgomery Texas.
When you travel do you remember the name of the exit and the street it intersects?

Jimbo
I think that the point was that it seems that you were describing it where your exit had 3 lanes - one goes straight or optionally turns right, and two turn left. The confusion seems to be that it appears that the two left-turning lanes somehow turn into a single lane on the cross street. Normally, two left-turn lanes would turn to a matching two lanes.

If it's the second, more common configuration, then why would a car on your left, who has his own lane to turn from and turn into, need to back up to allow you to turn?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 04-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
When you travel do you remember the name of the exit and the street it intersects? Jimbo
If it was laid out as you say I certainly would. Hey, I only asked and if you can't then so be it. Just thought it would be interesting to see a most unusual intersection. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I think that the point was that it seems that you were describing it where your exit had 3 lanes - one goes straight or optionally turns right, and two turn left. The confusion seems to be that it appears that the two left-turning lanes somehow turn into a single lane on the cross street. Normally, two left-turn lanes would turn to a matching two lanes.

If it's the second, more common configuration, then why would a car on your left, who has his own lane to turn from and turn into, need to back up to allow you to turn?
I simply don't understand any of this.

I have seen motorhomes, R/Vs, tractor trailers, commercial buses, school buses and about every vehicle imaginable make left turns from either of the two left turning lanes and easily stay in their appointed turning lane. I have never seen it posted anywhere on a road or suggested in R/Ving circles that the inside lane of two left lanes turning left is not considered proper for a 40' R/V. I have done it all my life in various forms of vehicles.

And you mentioned if you had to do this again, you would turn right from a left turn lane and that would have been your safest situation. I'm not sure I'd agree on the safety aspect there and suggest you'll likely tick some folks off if you need two lanes to make every turn at every intersection believing no one will come up along side of you simply because you have your turn signal on while in the wrong lane.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 04-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #15

I need help understanding this entirely. That's OK, don't try to help as usual I am beyond help.

Seriously, when approaching an intersection or a merge that looks as though visibility is blocked or difficult with a blind side - either from the left or right - don't pull all the way up to the stop line. If at all possible, stressing possible, try to stay as close to a 90 degree angle as you can. Sometimes you can't.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 04-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You were in a left turn only lane; why would the driver on your left think you would be going straight and is there only one lane available on the cross road making the turn onto?
Can you provide what and where this intersection is so we all can take a look see?
I don't think it's drivers necessarily thinking you're going straight, though a lack of attention could cause this. I see cars move up on the left of larger RV's and Tractor Trailers with the oblivious belief that the back end will not cut in on the turn - they just have no clue.

To the OP. Slowly move out until you are at the "point of no return" and then do not lollygag finishing up your turn, all the while being mindful of those to your left who are not mindful or aware of a large rigs back end cutting in. As posted above, sans someone getting out and watching/directing traffic, there is only so much you can do.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
Old 04-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I simply don't understand any of this.

I have seen motorhomes, R/Vs, tractor trailers, commercial buses, school buses and about every vehicle imaginable make left turns from either of the two left turning lanes and easily stay in their appointed turning lane. I have never seen it posted anywhere on a road or suggested in R/Ving circles that the inside lane of two left lanes turning left is not considered proper for a 40' R/V. I have done it all my life in various forms of vehicles.

And you mentioned if you had to do this again, you would turn right from a left turn lane and that would have been your safest situation. I'm not sure I'd agree on the safety aspect there and suggest you'll likely tick some folks off if you need two lanes to make every turn at every intersection believing no one will come up along side of you simply because you have your turn signal on while in the wrong lane.
Not all intersections are the same. Some are going to cut too sharp for a larger rig to turn left without swerving out (right) or pulling so far forward as to cut into the rightsides turn lane. With these types you need to be in the right left turn lane, and if you are not familiar with the area it can make sense to stay right for your turn just in case it's a tighter left turn than you expected.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
Old 04-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc4ut
Ps I didn’t think to use my right turn signal camera to see if I could tell if any vehicles were approaching ...
IMHO this is a problem FR should have anticipated. With our 2020 they used a real RV radio/camera monitor. I can tap the screen and manually select any camera as long as a turn signal is not in use. When we're parked we keep the passenger side camera on to watch the door area.

When FR switched to an automotive-type radio/camera display the only option those have is for a rear view camera. They added a camera switch box under a panel on top of the dash that switches cameras in response to turn signal inputs.

It should be very little work to provide a switch on the dash to allow manual selection of any camera via the switch box. It would disconnect the real turn signal input and send a "turn" signal to activate either side camera instead.

Ray
Old 04-07-2022, 08:35 PM   #19

One thing that may work in a situation like that is to pull slightly to the right so that you can get a better view to the right. You would need to keep your left turn signal on so your intent is clear to others, and in some cases perhaps put your 4-way flashers on. But in some cases you do just have to pull out and then watch your right side mirror for any late-arriving traffic from the right (which you can turn outward for a better view if you have a power mirror).
Old 04-07-2022, 09:17 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
It's hard for me to "see" the intersection, but when I come to an intersection that is not all right-angles I try to position myself perpendicular to the cross street. This sometimes causes me to take more lanes than one, but allows me to see traffic from the left and right.
Closed Thread