Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphis View Post
Wait, what's the "tie down arm?" We have two batteries under one of the steps, but there is nothing holding them in place other than their weight. Is this bad?
I don't know that the lack of a "tie down arm" is bad per se. I would presume that your battery compartment is built so the batteries cannot slide around or bounce up and down.

On the Georgetown GT5 the house batteries are not under a step. They are in the first compartment to the left of the entry door. Without a tie down arm they can slide a bit fore-aft, slide several inches left-right, and bounce up well over a foot so they do need to be physically restrained.

HTH,

Ray
Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #22

Keep in mind that your Breakaway safety switch will not function if you do not have a house battery.
jcarenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarenz View Post
Keep in mind that your Breakaway safety switch will not function if you do not have a house battery.
He is driving a class A. Unless there is a TOAD then no breakaway switch.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarenz View Post
See post 17
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #25

I suggest regarding HOAs, refer to the HOA forum.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
See post 17
I guess very few of us actually look at which section the thread is in, before responding.[emoji849]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Btm

Wrong Advice

Post #16 and #22

These post are so WRONG.

I don't think either poster read what I asked, looked at what section my post was in ( Georgetown ) or really read my post. Also I talked about driving a Motor Home.

You need to learn about M H's or read before you post.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #28
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
I don't think either poster read what I asked, looked at what section my post was in ( Georgetown ) or really read my post. Also I talked about driving a Motor Home.

You know, I've done similar from the phone app. "Timeline" just lists newest posts first with zero indication of what forum the posts are in, even when reading the posts. I don't know that's what happened but it does fit.

Ray
Old 02-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I don't know that the lack of a "tie down arm" is bad per se. I would presume that your battery compartment is built so the batteries cannot slide around or bounce up and down.

On the Georgetown GT5 the house batteries are not under a step. They are in the first compartment to the left of the entry door. Without a tie down arm they can slide a bit fore-aft, slide several inches left-right, and bounce up well over a foot so they do need to be physically restrained.

HTH,

Ray
All batteries should be secured so they dont move around. They may not escape their area or short, but their internsl components can be severly damaged by bouncing around.
Portions of the plates can be shaken loose causing cells to fail. Lead acid bats are very vulnerable, AGM and Lithium, not so much.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Never heard of a HOA not allowing 24 hour driveway parking. I'd be telling them to stick their noses you know where.

About ten years ago we had a newcomer to our small subdivision who wanted to start a HOA. This is what us 34 other homeowners sent them. Yes, it was signed by all of us.

Message to Home Owners Association (HOA) advocate

Welcome !

You came here from there because you didn't like there, and now you want to change here to be like there.

We are not racist, phobic or anti whatever-you-are, we simply like here the way it is and most of us actually came here because it is not like there, wherever there was.

You are welcome here, but please stop trying to make here like there.

If you want here to be like there you should not have left there to come here, and you are invited to leave here and go back there at your earliest convenience.

😆 Roflmao...... Very good, and funny not to mention RIGHT.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Post #16 and #22

These post are so WRONG.

Btm
I fight this losing battle quite frequently on the motorhome subforums. Some people don’t read the thread, nor take note of the subforum it is posted in, nor even attempt to learn about or identify the Forest River product being discussed. The default assumption is that the discussion is about a travel trailer, and their posts will then offer advice as it would apply to trailers, even when the discussion is clearly about a motorized RV.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
You know, I've done similar from the phone app. "Timeline" just lists newest posts first with zero indication of what forum the posts are in, even when reading the posts. I don't know that's what happened but it does fit.

Ray
Even so, all you have to do is scroll to the top of the thread, before posting, to see where it's located.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:22 AM   #33

[QUOTE=delphis;2487793]
Quote:
I need to replace both house batteries because they won't keep a charge, They have leaked acid and have caused corrosion to the battery box and tie down arm.

Wait, what's the "tie down arm?" We have two batteries under one of the steps, but there is nothing holding them in place other than their weight. Is this bad?
Yes....
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #34

Quote:
I need to replace both house batteries because they won't keep a charge, They have leaked acid and have caused corrosion to the battery box and tie down arm.

Because of the HOA where I live I cannot keep the MH in my driveway overnight while the cleaned up and repainted battery box dries.

I will turn off the battery switch and put plastic bags over each group of wires while cleaning and painting.

Can I drive the MH to storage for the paint to dry and back to my driveway the next day to put in new batteries ?

Btm

I 've made a few assumptions when suggesting this ( you've got another vehicle, the storage lot is fairly open about minor work done eg washing etc, there's someone that can drive you to/ from ) Do all you need to do at storage facility. Leave the batteries inside the mh or bring them home if you're concerned about theft
while paint dries. Your post is from TX so I imagine it wouldn't take long for that to happen
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #35
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Ray
Not true.

Every thread on the 'Timeline' (or any of the other thread tabs) in the app lists the sub-forum they are in. (see screenshot photo) Sure, they are a bit smaller font than the bold subject line but they are there nonetheless.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210212-162204.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	247656

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Post #16 and #22

These post are so WRONG.

Btm
I tow with my motorhome every time I use it, but I didn't think you'd take your toad to your storage area. That said, it won't make any difference if the batteries aren't installed whether the switch is on or off as long as the positive side is insulated well enough to avoid contacting ground.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #37

Quote:

Because of the HOA where I live I cannot keep the MH in my driveway overnight while the cleaned up and repainted battery box dries.

I will turn off the battery switch and put plastic bags over each group of wires while cleaning and painting.

Can I drive the MH to storage for the paint to dry and back to my driveway the next day to put in new batteries ?

Btm

Only problem I had with the batteries removed was the electric steps.

When I removed my batteries to modify the battery compartment to hold six Battle Born batteries. I installed a jumper on the Battery Control Center to supply power from the chassis battery to the steps.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #38
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Even so, all you have to do is scroll to the top of the thread, before posting, to see where it's located.
That would take too much time.

Ray

Tags
batteries