Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Btm

Driving without house batteries

I need to replace both house batteries because they won't keep a charge, They have leaked acid and have caused corrosion to the battery box and tie down arm.

Because of the HOA where I live I cannot keep the MH in my driveway overnight while the cleaned up and repainted battery box dries.

I will turn off the battery switch and put plastic bags over each group of wires while cleaning and painting.

Can I drive the MH to storage for the paint to dry and back to my driveway the next day to put in new batteries ?

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
I need to replace both house batteries because they won't keep a charge, They have leaked acid and have caused corrosion to the battery box and tie down arm.

Because of the HOA where I live I cannot keep the MH in my driveway overnight while the cleaned up and repainted battery box dries.

I will turn off the battery switch and put plastic bags over each group of wires while cleaning and painting.

Can I drive the MH to storage for the paint to dry and back to my driveway the next day to put in new batteries ?

Btm
Never heard of a HOA not allowing 24 hour driveway parking. I'd be telling them to stick their noses you know where.

About ten years ago we had a newcomer to our small subdivision who wanted to start a HOA. This is what us 34 other homeowners sent them. Yes, it was signed by all of us.

Message to Home Owners Association (HOA) advocate

Welcome !

You came here from there because you didn't like there, and now you want to change here to be like there.

We are not racist, phobic or anti whatever-you-are, we simply like here the way it is and most of us actually came here because it is not like there, wherever there was.

You are welcome here, but please stop trying to make here like there.

If you want here to be like there you should not have left there to come here, and you are invited to leave here and go back there at your earliest convenience.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
DW says I'm nuts, the bolts have been missing as long as we've known each other.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Never heard of a HOA not allowing 24 hour driveway parking. I'd be telling them to stick their noses you know where.

About ten years ago we had a newcomer to our small subdivision who wanted to start a HOA. This is what us 34 other homeowners sent them. Yes, it was signed by all of us.

Welcome !

You came here from there because you didn't like there, and now you want to change here to be like there.

We are not racist, phobic or anti whatever-you-are, we simply like here the way it is and most of us actually came here because it is not like there, wherever there was.

If you want here to be like there you should not have left there to come here, and you are invited to leave here and go back there at your earliest convenience.
With as many HOAs as there are, I'm sure there are many more "rules" about which you've never heard. I'm also sure it's easier for 34 homeowners to stop the formation of an HOA than for a homeowner to get an immediate change to rules to which he probably agreed when he moved into the neighborhood.

On another subject, do you have any knowledge/advice about driving a motor home to storage without house batteries?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 14; Booked = 46
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #4

If you are not running any house appliances and the house circuit is disconnected from the charging circuit you will be fine.

As for the HOA, can you park in the street? Your HOA may not have jurisdiction over the streets if they are public. Also, if they are reasonable you can inform them t hgv at you will have a vehicle parked in your driveway overnight.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

I have had to move a motorhome without batteries before. Once it is started the batteries where removed and driven about 30 miles to be placed in storage. No problems in route.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #6

Yes, with the disconnect off, and the + battery terminals insulated you will be fine to drive it.
As far as HOA goes, let's just say I passed up a couple nice houses once I seen it was an HOA!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Btm;2487701]I need to replace both house batteries because they won't keep a charge, They have leaked acid and have caused corrosion to the battery box and tie down arm.

Wait, what's the "tie down arm?" We have two batteries under one of the steps, but there is nothing holding them in place other than their weight. Is this bad?
Old 01-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #8

[QUOTE=delphis;2487793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post

Wait, what's the "tie down arm?" We have two batteries under one of the steps, but there is nothing holding them in place other than their weight. Is this bad?
I noticed that in our RV as well and was surprised to see nothing holding the batteries in place. Ours is 20 years old. I assume the previous owner didn't have any problems. We only had it for a couple of weeks and it's only been driven from the last owners house to ours.
PeterFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #9
Btm

Thanks to those who answered my question about driving my MH to and from storage.

Wait, what's the "tie down arm?" We have two batteries under one of the steps, but there is nothing holding them in place other than their weight. Is this bad?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should have called it a "tie down bracket" One of my other MH did not have any type of battery hold down--another one did. The need for a bracket probably has to do with battery location and what type of "box" they are located in.

Many HOA's are part of the land deed and cannot be changed. Yes, there are some things that I don't like, but there are no boats parked on the streets with flats and never moved, old campers in the driveway, unkept yards or houses. Because of the HOA where I live, this area will probably never deteriorate into an unkept neighborhood or junkville.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

If it were me, I'd park it in the driveway for the overnight period. If asked I'd say I didn't know. I'm sure you can get away with it once. Who is to say your leaving it there overnight anyways? Is there someone driving around and watching exactly how long its been there? Isn't it possible that you parked, left, came back at 2 am? What exactly is overnight parking?

I think you see what I am getting at here.

We used to live in a HOA sub. One of the rules was "no permanent structures". Guess how long it was before someone put up a giant playscape and everyone with kids followed suit? The other one was no fences in any yard, but if you had a pool you had to fence it in. Only took one guy, 15 years after the HOA was formed, to move in, drop in a pool and fence his entire yard. Gray area I guess. Only good part about that is it stopped his kids from running into my yard constantly. But now its a mix of fence and non fence. Didn't affect the look of our yard because the perimeter was treed with beautiful pines. But some other yards look silly because they have half a fence and no way to make it look "finished".

We no longer live in a HOA. This presents other challenges and issues, but those are fewer and further between.
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #11

HOA's are only as obnoxious as the people running them. If you live in a neighborhood with one and don't like it, volunteer to be on the board and be part of the solution.

I have found that as long as your neighbors don't tattle on you a night here or there with a camper in your driveway will not result in a fine or nasty gram.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #12

Out house batteries?

I hoping someone else www ask about this.

What kind of batteries are used in an outhouse?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #13

The house batteries in our 2014 Georgetown XL were completely shot when we got it. I made sure the disconnect was switched off, pulled the negative wire off, and drove it 350 miles home. It caused no harm, as I replaced the batteries a couple of days later, and everything has been fine for the last year.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

HOA Letter

Quote:

Welcome !

Perfect!
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Yes, with the disconnect off, and the + battery terminals insulated you will be fine to drive it.
Agreed. It's not much different than driving with the house battery disconnect off. You won't be able to use anything wired directly to the batteries, like the Kwikee steps and the propane leak detector but hopefully you won't be using the propane leak detector anyway...

Ray
Old 01-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #16

I believe your break away trailer brake won't work without batteries, so make sure your trailer doesn't break away.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I believe your break away trailer brake won't work without batteries, so make sure your trailer doesn't break away.
Since this is in the Georgetown Motorhome section, I'm not thinking they will need trailer brakes!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #18

You will be fine. Sounds like it won't be long. Your refrigerator will not work without power. The propane side needs juice to run in it.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
HOA's are only as obnoxious as the people running them. If you live in a neighborhood with one and don't like it, volunteer to be on the board and be part of the solution.

I have found that as long as your neighbors don't tattle on you a night here or there with a camper in your driveway will not result in a fine or nasty gram.
If my neighborhood ever wants to establish and HOA I'm going to get involved and become President. My first act will be to disband the HOA.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:

Welcome !

I LOVE this! I need to figure out how to use it with all the NYC people that moved into our little area in the Pocono Mtns.
dwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries