Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Dually tires valve stems

Curious...how do you folks deal with the rear valve stems on your MH? My main issue is with the stem on the outside tires. I installed metal extenders from Amazon and that are curved and looked to be the thing I needed. My problem is as the wheels turn they work their way to the inside behind the wheel simulator. Bottom line I have to remove the wheel sim to put air in the tires. The inside tires have a metal braided extension on them so they are fine...other then me worrying about they rubbing on the wheel sim as I go down the road. They seem to be holding up and I don't have an issue with any leakage....I am looking for ideas on what others use to make checking and putting air in the rear tires a little easier....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_191353.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	183661  
Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

I have the same issue, I just haven't gotten the extenders yet.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Coach

I'm not a fan of extenders. Until we changed tires I used to just pull the simulators to get access. At tire change we installed longer metal valve stems that we can reach without pulling the simulators.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
I'm not a fan of extenders. Until we changed tires I used to just pull the simulators to get access. At tire change we installed longer metal valve stems that we can reach without pulling the simulators.
My long straight extender seems fine so far after about 1500 miles. I see someone makes a valve stem stabilizer made of rubber but can't find where to order one from. Amazon has a round 2 inch one for 15 a pair but my holes are oval and 1.75X2.75 inches. They seem to be the best option. I'm probably just going to remove the outside tire curved extender since I still have to remove the wheel sim to check the tires anyway. MY TPMS looses signal sometime and I think that has something to do with the stems not really being stable as I am driving.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

So my solution until something better comes along.....use a 1/2 inch auto hose and insert the long valve extension into it to protect it from rubbing the wheel. I went ahead and removed the outer wheel extension together until I figure something else out for it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_091024.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	183701  
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
RJJ

Dually tires valve stems

Check these out. I put them on my GT. They work great and no extensions. It’s valve stems for inner and outer wheel and the rubber stabilizer to hold the inner stem in place.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

We bought our first motor home in 1983 and it came from the factory with extenders installed. We have had them on every coach since with our latest, a 2015 Georgetown 270s, being the exception. I was not a happy camper. Finally found a set of steel wrapped ones like all the others had, complete with brackets to hold the stems in place. Only problem was finding a right angle drill to get into the simulator "hub" to drill for the pop rivets that hold the bracket. Don't remember why that couldn't be done from the outside. At my age a lot of memories don't last two years. At any rate, once installed all systems are go and airing and checking are easily accomplished on all tires.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
At my age a lot of memories don't last two years.
You must be a youngster. At my age a lot of memories don't last two hours. Have you ever walked into a room and then thought to yourself "what did I come in here for?" If you haven't, no doubt you will someday. Don't worry, you'll remember --------- about 3:00 AM when you answer nature's call (again).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
larryandamy

Dually valve stems

This is a good question and one I have been dealing with for a long time. I bought the valve extensions and installed the TPSM (Tire Pressure Sensor Monitors) also. I installed the TPSM's with the pass the thru valve stems so I can fill my tires without removing the pressure sensor from the valve stem. I know the dead end cap sensors are cheaper, but I highly recommend the pass thru sensors as every time you mess with the valve stems, you risk creating a failure point. By failure point I mean poor support of the extended valve stem with the additional weight of the pressure sensor creates a very common fatigue failure on the extended valve stem usually resulting in a broken valve stem and very rapid loss of tire pressure. My solution is to position the valve stem and TPSM so that it is supported against the wheel and not suspended without support. These valve stems are subject to extreme centrifugal forces and impact shocks during driving. The extensions amplify the forces dramatically by increasing the leverage of the added weight of the TPSM. It is important that they are supported well. I use several layers of the thick Scotch double back adhesive foam to secure the TPSM to the wheel angled in the direction of the tire rotation forces. This has worked well for me. I know there are RV places that do this support well. But unfortunately, most do not.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Check these out. I put them on my GT. They work great and no extensions. It’s valve stems for inner and outer wheel and the rubber stabilizer to hold the inner stem in place.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits
X2
I bought a set of these after having metal valve stems and extenders installed that failed on both inner wheels on my coach. Well worth the cost and has held up flawlessly for the past 2 years and 13,000 miles.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

DuallyValves.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
I AGREE AND DID THE SAME AS YOU! These are the SAFEST option and upgrade!!

Check out my thread that I just posted 1 wk ago entitled INDIANAPOLIS = POTHOLES !
Had a LOT of positive reactions from people who experienced the same as we did when connecting from 74S to 70E in that friggin’ city hgwy system. Cost me almost $1000- after pounding over their potholes when my RR simulator let go and dragged the braided extenders off their valves and flattened both tires. And then we could not get any help for hrs while waiting and praying on the berm against 5 lanes of rushour traffic. GET RID of the old braided extensions with their dubious support posts that are screwed onto your sim’s! Buy the DuallyValves! Yes they cost $120 to supply all rear dually’s plus they have a stout stabilizer for the longer inside wheel solid metal Valve. Mine stick out about 1” beyond the simulator Making it EASY TO READ AND SUPPLY each of the valve pairs per side! No special air chucks needed...life is GOOD. LOWES has 150 lb test zip ties to lash the heavy sim to the wheel(easy to DIY install!) and barely noticeable actually plus peace of minD.

Will be happy to supply pics of final setup in case you need convincing(PM me). Perfect for TPMS) add-on’s too. Listen to us please re these valves(I do not work for them but call Kelly there asap and also visit their website. You won’t be sorry! PS: stay away from Indianapolis infrastructure!!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #12

Valve Extenders

I've had extenders for a couple of years now but on my last trip in May had a problem. One tire - rear outside, thank goodness - kept losing air. Got to camp near Jackson Hole Wyoming and had the tire pulled for repairs. When I went to pick it up was told tire was fine that the extensions cause the problem. Guy told me that he won't install them, that they "always", his word, cause problems. I've seen here that there are several different types and some are much better than others so I've removed mine for now and will follow the story here.

I am also going to replace my hubcaps with just center caps. This will make it much easier to check the air without using extensions. (By the way, any suggestion as to the best place to find the center caps?)
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So my solution until something better comes along.....use a 1/2 inch auto hose and insert the long valve extension into it to protect it from rubbing the wheel. I went ahead and removed the outer wheel extension together until I figure something else out for it....
That sounds like a Great Fix ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #14

When it comes to checking or adding air to these flexible extenders,,, a nice long pair of needle nose pliers work great !!!
If you have someone to hold them for you,,, they work even better !!!
If we keeping removing & replacing our Hub Caps,,,
sooner or later they may come loose !!!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #15

I removed the simulators and washed the wheels, looks fine and no more problems checking air pressure
tjasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #16

Thanks for you info on this. I was having the same problem.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #17

I don't really like the looks of ours without the Hubcaps !!!

Tags
tire, tires, valve