RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Btm

E-chain @ slide fix

NO MORE HANG UP

Pic. #1 Bought retractable key holder from Zoro tool

Pic. #2 & 3 Bracket to mount at back and inside E-chain box

Pic. #4. Looking into E-chain box with retractor chain hooked to wires with split ring.

Tested several times, worked perfect.

I have sore hands and back from reaching in the box and behind putting in a back up plate behind the bolts.

The key retractor has about 8 oz. of pull. My E-chain only needed a touch when it would hang.

The reason the retractor is at an angle is to allow the stainless chain to operate freely. They are designed to come out and retract smoothly at 45 deg.

Spent $7.95 ( tax & shipping— $15.00 ) and many hours before figuring out how to make a bad design work.

After seeing pics from NXR and looking at my plastic slide, I believe that the plastic radius and how it touches the chain causes most problems. My plastic radius did not touch the chain until it was at the bottom of the chain box

I adjusted mine several times but never got it to work every time

Btm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01615422-9E3A-4BDA-B3BE-8B42E3862340.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	241745   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2AECD6D-D3E4-4084-8043-5B089F86B73F.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	241746   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC62D167-BB04-45C5-8907-A9021194BA71.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	241747   Click image for larger version

Name:	456CB7DA-FF19-4E0F-8BF7-E6DEB0785BC3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	241748  
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #2

How far does your slide, slide out? This seems like a good idea, but I was thinking 18" would not be enough.
My chain just broke again. 150 miles RT to the dealer. Has anyone found a work around jury rig fix for this besides zip ties? Since this whole chain thing seems like a jury rig anyway.
What a lousy setup. None of my other mororhomes had this chain and I never had any trouble with them.
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Btm

Slide out

Sorry to hear that you are having the same problem as several others on this forum.

My slide travels out almost 36inches. The E chain does not travel the same distance as the slide. The amount that the plastic chain travels is determined by where it is located (attached ) to the slide and the distance to the hole going down below. My plastic chain is attached about 6 inches from the front edge of the slide and the hole going down is 2 inches from the outside wall.

My E-chain travels 24 inches. I measured it by putting a piece of tape on it and extended/retracted the slide to get the measurement The retractable key chain I used is 24 inches long.

Where did you get 18 inches from ?

Zip ties will only help keep the chain together, but the chain will break somewhere else when it hangs again.

Most of us can see our chains when extending the slide and use a stick to push the chain down in the hole when it hangs.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

Now I dont know where I got the 18" from.

My slide control is in the back of the MH and the chain is behind the driver seat. unfortunately.

My 2018 is out of warranty but the chain was replaced under warranty less than a year ago.

I emailed N Hoover at FR and asked if they would send me a new chain and obviously I'll need to get used to fixing this myself like so many things on motorhomes.

I had 2 other motorhomes with slides and lights etc and I had no idea where the wires ran from, and obviously, that's a good thing. There sure was not any giant plastic motorcycle chain on the floor tho
Old 10-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
NO MORE HANG UP ...

Pic. #1 Bought retractable key holder from Zoro tool ...

The key retractor has about 8 oz. of pull. My E-chain only needed a touch when it would hang. ...
That idea is nothing short of brilliant.

Cheap, easy, and no complicated mechanism.

Ray
Old 10-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Btm

Pic. #4 is with the slide extended about 6 inches. When the slide is fully retracted the split ring connection is up higher and partially in the square hole.

When the slide is fully extended the split ring stops exactly in front of the retractor.

After a year of broken chain, trials of all type of adjustments, spray lube, bungee cords, surgical tubing and sticks poking the chain in the hole it is sure nice for the slide chain to not hang.

It was so much fun running the slide from outside using the app. and watching the chain not hang. I ran it several tines and decided to quit before I got the slide motors hot.

Btm
Old 10-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Where do you get this app to work your slide? Mine's a 2018, that'd be nice if it worked for mine since the chain and control button are on opposite ends.
MR Hoover @ FR sent me an email asking for my address and he said he would send me a new ,chain, we shall see.
Since it is so problematic, has any one just did away with the chain and just let the wires drag in and out of it's hole?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Since it is so problematic, has any one just did away with the chain and just let the wires drag in and out of it's hole?
The wiring is very stiff. I doubt there's any way it would make that 180 degree turn on its own because it needs to be pushed down the hole.

Do you need to disconnect the wiring on one end to replace the e-chain?

Ray
Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #9
Btm

App Control

Not knowing what M H you have makes me guess about you having a control app. My M H has has an electronic touch screen that controls everything and does not use any buttons or switches. You mentioned having a control button, so I doubt that there is an app you can use.

I don't think that wires only can be pushed into the hole and make the turn into the box below.

I believe to replace the plastic chain that wiring will have to be disconnected on one end. Take the end cover off of the box that the E chain goes into and have a look.

Btm
Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
Where do you get this app to work your slide? Mine's a 2018, that'd be nice if it worked for mine since the chain and control button are on opposite ends.
Forest River switched to the Precision Circuits touchscreen system beginning with the 2019.5 Georgetown model years. It has a standard Bluetooth module.

I thought some earlier models used the LCI OneControl system but I've never seen that one. I think it had an optional Bluetooth module.

Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

If you have a touchscreen, both the OneControl and Precision circuits have external apps. They should be available in the appstore on your phone. here's the info from online:

Precision Circuits

LCI One Control

https://store.lci1.com/onecontrol
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The wiring is very stiff. I doubt there's any way it would make that 180 degree turn on its own because it needs to be pushed down the hole.

Do you need to disconnect the wiring on one end to replace the e-chain?

Ray
Makes sense, but if I have to push the chain in the hole, I could push the wires down too without all that crunch, crunch , crunch from the chain.

Good ? about having to disconnect the wiring to replace the chain.
I guess I will find out, hopefully , FR Mr Hoover said he would send me a chain.
Has any one here changed their E chain before?
Old 10-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Good ? about having to disconnect the wiring to replace the chain.
I guess I will find out, hopefully , FR Mr Hoover said he would send me a chain.

Has any one here changed their E chain before?
What exactly is breaking? I had a link come apart but could snap it back together.

Ray
Old 10-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Btm

My One Control screen

I have an early 2019 GT 5. This what my One Control screen looks like. I think LCI tried converting TT controls to a M H and failed.

If I touch the MyRV screen I get a 7 minute video of how to use a LCI tablet and all the controls for a TT. All links to LCI is TT info.

Maybe this is why FR went to Precision Control.

Btm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1348264C-747E-49B7-A284-F2B378AB8F1B.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	241962  
Old 10-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btm View Post
I have an early 2019 GT 5. This what my One Control screen looks like. I think LCI tried converting TT controls to a M H and failed.

If I touch the MyRV screen I get a 7 minute video of how to use a LCI tablet and all the controls for a TT. All links to LCI is TT info.

Maybe this is why FR went to Precision Control.

Btm
Do you have a tiny hole to the left of the power button on the bottom? That's a Reset switch. Stick a paper clip in and push the button and see what happens.

Ray
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #16
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you have a tiny hole to the left of the power button on the bottom? That's a Reset switch. Stick a paper clip in and push the button and see what happens.

Ray
Will try in the A. M. Maybe it will do more than the slides, awning, awning light and tank monitoring.

Btm
Old 11-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #17

I replaced the chain today. Kind of a pain, but probably not too bad if you do it more than once. Of course I did it the hard way, having to do and redo.
You don't have to disconnect the wiring. It pops in and out at the bottom of the chain.
I started taking the wires out in the MH and then putting the new chain in simutaneously. About half way as it goes in the hole I realized this was not working too well. Took the new chain back out. Finally got the 3 pieces of the old chain completely out, I just started putting the new chain in. The chain came from FR so I never thought about measuring it. It was too long. Started removing links 3 times and finally got it just right, which it needs to be , at least + or - 1 link.
After getting the too long chain and the 3 pieces from my old chain, I now have a spare chain.
Also, hard to explain, but when my wife was'nt looking, I stole a top to one of her tupperware dishes . I cut it about 6" long, 4" wide, set it on top of the chain, just behind the hole, and screwed it to the floor. It forces the chain down into it's hole instead of it folding back behind the hole.
Seems to work or at least definitly help, but since I tired of breaking chains, I will surely still babysit it when opening the slide, probably for a long time.
If I was a teckie, I'd take a picture of it and post it, Im sure it could be improved on, I'm surprised the mfgr doesnt have something like this., it forces the chain down the sliding board.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
Btm

Replace E-chain

Glad you could replace the chain and get it working. I'm sure it was hard and took a lot of work, but you didn't have to remove any wiring.

I made something similar to what you did where the chain enters the hole. It still hung sometimes causing the chain to hump up in the middle. Hopefully your fix will keep the chain from hanging.

I still watch the chain as slides are extending just in case it hangs.

Btm
Old 11-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
NXR

Quote:
I still watch the chain as slides are extending just in case it hangs.
Me, too, but I finally realized I have an alternate way to watch the e-chain while running the slide by myself.

I had been using the app but Bluetooth on this thing is really flakey. I know the Bluetooth module is installed directly behind the touchscreen, above the main TV, and I can be standing right next to it and the app loses connection for an instant and the slide stops. (This happens with the awnings also, anything that is not just on/off.)

On the 34H5 the Precision Circuits Master panel is installed in a cabinet in the center of the coach, directly across from the half-bath. The Master panel has buttons on it and a display and you can run the functions from the panel instead of the touchscreen. Duh.

So now I open the cabinet door and use the Master panel buttons to run the dinette/recliner slide while shining a flashlight at the e-chain. And then I turn the other direction and I can run the bed slide as well while watching it.

Ray
Old 11-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
Btm

All of this reminds me that I am growing old too soon and smart too late.

Btm

Tags
slide