Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

electric outlets

I am debating adding microwave and large tv outlets to house battery power. Has anyone made this change? how low do the house batteries go on a 6 hour Drive?
JimJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

So, you're wanting to add an inverter dedicated to the TV's and microwave.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Bubbles, that's correct.
The question is what powers the fridge, that is in the immediate location?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Is your fridge a residential refrigerator? Or is it AC and/or propane? If residential there is an inverter installed somewhere in your unit that would power it when not connected to shore power or generator not providing AC power to your unit. If AC/propane it is powered from the coach batteries for the 12 volts needed for propane or powered from the generator or shore power for the AC operation.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJay View Post
I am debating adding microwave and large tv outlets to house battery power. Has anyone made this change? how low do the house batteries go on a 6 hour Drive?
House batteries would not drain much at all under TV and microwave usage in a 6 hour drive.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Yes it's not residential. I was wondering where the power was coming from. The saga continues for the new diyer. Thank you for all your help.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes it's not residential. I was wondering where the power was coming from. The saga continues for the new diyer. Thank you for all your help.
What does Residential have to do with this conversation: eek: You stated a question about the house batteries in your RV and I answered it!

I am debating adding microwave and large tv outlets to house battery power

the 120 volt power comes from the electric power box with the 120 volt circuit breakers in it. I'm curious as to what large tv outlets are? 12 volt power comes from your batteries. You did not ask where anything was coming from. If you have an inverter that's where you go to find battery power for your micro and a TV.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

Cavie,
I will need to install a inverter.
I was just trying to skip that part. now i know it is a neccesary part of the puzzle.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

If you are planning to run a microwave on an inverter you will need a large one. Most Tv's don't require big amps so you might be ok there. Your fridge uses 12 volt and propane or 120 volt on shore power.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
What I did was to add an inverter and transfer. Then I sliced the transfer switch into the right side of my coaches 120 volt plugs. This way I can run any thing I want on that side of the coach whether on shore power, generator power or battery power. Comes in handy to watch TV, using the microwave or anything else, when going down the road or at a brief rest area stop without using the generator.
Ask me any questions you have and I am happy to answer.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What does Residential have to do with this conversation: eek: You stated a question about the house batteries in your RV and I answered it!

I am debating adding microwave and large tv outlets to house battery power

the 120 volt power comes from the electric power box with the 120 volt circuit breakers in it. I'm curious as to what large tv outlets are? 12 volt power comes from your batteries. You did not ask where anything was coming from. If you have an inverter that's where you go to find battery power for your micro and a TV.
Hey, lighten up cavie. The OP got his answer to the fridge. Your input was acceptable for the initial post. Let it go louie, let it go. Having a bad day?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Hey, lighten up cavie. The OP got his answer to the fridge. Your input was acceptable for the initial post. Let it go louie, let it go. Having a bad day?
And my answer was in reference to the original post. No fridge was mentioned in the original post. The Residential post did not have a quote attached to it. Things get posted while one is typing and you don't get to see the big picture until sometimes the next day when you reread the thread! And No, I'm having a wonder full day thank you.

Tags
electric