Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,005
Emergency windshield wiper repair

My wife turned on the windshield wipers in a sudden downpour at 60 MPH on a vey busy interstate with a narrow shoulder and the driver's wiper decided to detach itself and begin flopping around.

We had to pull over because we had just left a rest area, there were no exits nearby and we kind of could not see very well. I went out to try and re-attach the wiper but the plastic tab that holds it to the wiper arm was broken.

My wife suggested a tie wrap and fortunately I had some inside. There's a hole in the top of the wiper that the tie wrap fit into and it worked well. When we got to our next stop I put one on the other wiper since they're both two years old.

The moral of the story is to carry some smaller tie wraps inside. Or change the wipers sooner than I did.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	262033  
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My wife turned on the windshield wipers in a sudden downpour at 60 MPH on a vey busy interstate with a narrow shoulder and the driver's wiper decided to detach itself and begin flopping around.

We had to pull over because we had just left a rest area, there were no exits nearby and we kind of could not see very well. I went out to try and re-attach the wiper but the plastic tab that holds it to the wiper arm was broken.

My wife suggested a tie wrap and fortunately I had some inside. There's a hole in the top of the wiper that the tie wrap fit into and it worked well. When we got to our next stop I put one on the other wiper since they're both two years old.

The moral of the story is to carry some smaller tie wraps inside. Or change the wipers sooner than I did.

Ray
That will make for an interesting day! I'm impressed your wife will drive, let alone in a rainstorm. I can't get mine to drive on a 400 mile straight patch of I80 with no wind and clear blue skies....
Dan
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2016 Lincoln MKZ "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
That will make for an interesting day! I'm impressed your wife will drive, let alone in a rainstorm. I can't get mine to drive on a 400 mile straight patch of I80 with no wind and clear blue skies....
Dan
Clearly you did not marry a woman who was a firefighter/paramedic for 26 years and loves to drive. Me? I love to ride in the passenger seat. It works.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Clearly you did not marry a woman who was a firefighter/paramedic for 26 years and loves to drive. Me? I love to ride in the passenger seat. It works.

Ray
That's great! Bless her heart.
I think my wife is still upset about flying IFR with me for the first time. She heard other planes talking to ATC over the radio and commented "I hear them, but can't see them". I told her "that's alright, I can't see them either". Hasn't been the same since...
Dan
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2016 Lincoln MKZ "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,005
I thought IFR was "I Fly Railroads".

To clarify, was it your first time flying IFR, her first time, or both?


Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I thought IFR was "I Fly Railroads".

To clarify, was it your first time flying IFR, her first time, or both?


Ray
LOL! Right? Wasn't my first time, but it may have been her first prolonged experience. Typically, in the central valley we have valley fog in the winter. Base about 400-500 ft., tops at 2,000-2,500 ft.
Typical IFR flight would be to pass through the layer and have clear and 1,000 mile vis. That day we were coming back from a Mooney "fly in". ATC had us hold prior to starting the ILS approach into Sac Executive. I believe we were holding at 2,000 ft. We were there for a bit before descending for the approach. Didn't put her off flying IFR, just didn't like my response!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	262120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	262121  
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2016 Lincoln MKZ "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,005
Take her up at night when it's CAVU (ceiling and visibility unlimited).I used to work on corporate jets (avionics) and got to fly along on some trips. There's nothing more beautiful than seeing the world of lights at night.

And nothing more terrifying than doing the same thing on a flight into the NYC area. I could not believe how busy the flight crew was as we launched from Teterboro, NJ over to JFK airport. And how many moving lights at all altitudes there were outside. Those ATC folks earn their money there.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 61
That lady is a keeper
thebigkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mooney 78865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Take her up at night when it's CAVU (ceiling and visibility unlimited).I used to work on corporate jets (avionics) and got to fly along on some trips. There's nothing more beautiful than seeing the world of lights at night.

And nothing more terrifying than doing the same thing on a flight into the NYC area. I could not believe how busy the flight crew was as we launched from Teterboro, NJ over to JFK airport. And how many moving lights at all altitudes there were outside. Those ATC folks earn their money there.

Ray
We've actually done a lot of night flying. ( I have almost 1,900 hrs. PIC) The other side of living in the Central Valley is that it gets HOT during the summer. Hot means bumpy unless your really up there, or fly early morning or after dark.
Could not imagine trying to fly NYC area. Navigating the class B around the Bay area and LA is enough!
__________________
2014 Georgetown 378 XL
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2016 Lincoln MKZ "Toad"
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JWood422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: At home
Posts: 816
And then there’s this.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 25
Keep her.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My wife turned on the windshield wipers in a sudden downpour at 60 MPH on a vey busy interstate with a narrow shoulder and the driver's wiper decided to detach itself and begin flopping around.



We had to pull over because we had just left a rest area, there were no exits nearby and we kind of could not see very well. I went out to try and re-attach the wiper but the plastic tab that holds it to the wiper arm was broken.



My wife suggested a tie wrap and fortunately I had some inside. There's a hole in the top of the wiper that the tie wrap fit into and it worked well. When we got to our next stop I put one on the other wiper since they're both two years old.



The moral of the story is to carry some smaller tie wraps inside. Or change the wipers sooner than I did.



Ray


That's exactly what happened to us just outside Gettysburg ( mind you not on an interstate but bad enough . Used cable ties as well - they have to be right up there with duct tape as things to have. Since then I carry a spare wiper blade as well as replacement lamps for the headlights . If you can't see you can't go anywhere
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #13
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 3,005
What's everyone using for replacement wipers? The original ones are 28" long and the longest I've seen in an auto parts store is 26".

Do regular 26" wipers work if there are no 28" ones? With the U-shaped arm end it looks like they may.

Thanks,

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What's everyone using for replacement wipers? The original ones are 28" long and the longest I've seen in an auto parts store is 26".

Do regular 26" wipers work if there are no 28" ones? With the U-shaped arm end it looks like they may.

Thanks,

Ray


Last one I got was Trico # 67-284 . Can't remember if I got it from Camping World or I ordered one from Amazon
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Sharon455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern Arizona
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Last one I got was Trico # 67-284 . Can't remember if I got it from Camping World or I ordered one from Amazon
I looked them up and they are definitely available on Amazon. They are even Branded as RV wiper blades. Certainly not cheap at $59 a pair.
__________________

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #16
Senior Member - Retired
 
CA Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 349
If you order a single blade, quantity two, the price is $49.18 Go figure.
__________________
John & Gloria Hunsaker FROG Member CA-0030-988
2014 Georgetown XL 334QS (class A with 4 slides)
2013 Smart Car TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Retired JSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What's everyone using for replacement wipers? The original ones are 28" long and the longest I've seen in an auto parts store is 26".

Do regular 26" wipers work if there are no 28" ones? With the U-shaped arm end it looks like they may.

Thanks,

Ray

Unless there is a supply delay, Walmart has some up to 30.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,919
Miracle

[QUOTE=NXR;2627599And nothing more terrifying than doing the same thing on a flight into the NYC area. I could not believe how busy the flight crew was as we launched from Teterboro, NJ over to JFK airport. And how many moving lights at all altitudes there were outside. Those ATC folks earn their money there.

Ray[/QUOTE]
Miracle on the Hudson

"Negative, Teterboro. We're going in the Hudson."
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #19
Director, FROG
 
F.R.O.G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Middlebury, IN
Posts: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What's everyone using for replacement wipers? The original ones are 28" long and the longest I've seen in an auto parts store is 26".

Do regular 26" wipers work if there are no 28" ones? With the U-shaped arm end it looks like they may.

Thanks,

Ray
Walmart.com has them in a variety of major brands:
WalMart 28" wiper blades

You should also be able to find them at most truck stops.
__________________

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 79
You did fine. Next time, don't be afraid to slow down when the rain starts. You'll have less risk of losing control from hydroplaning, and there'll be less stress on your wipers since they're not hitting so much rain. Keep up the good work.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.