Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominVegas View Post
Mine is actually the RV Custom Products SDC-107A. There's an isolator relay that may be bad. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow but there is another poster that had similar problems with a different source on the same model BCC.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...7a-194843.html
Did you look at the "Forest River SDC-107A BCC Test Procedure.pdf?"

I checked mine by listening for the solenoid clunk as my Son started the engine. (Ten second delay)

Last year when I was recabling the batteries from four to six batteries, I found a bad crimp on an OEM cable to the SDC-107A.

Bad cable:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Cable 1 20200526_173401.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	253159

Name:	Bad Cable 2 20200526_173410.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	253160

Cable repaired:

Name:	Cable repaired 20200526_181124.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	253161

Please update the forum with what you find.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Did you look at the "Forest River SDC-107A BCC Test Procedure.pdf?"

I checked mine by listening for the solenoid clunk as my Son started the engine. (Ten second delay)

Last year when I was recabling the batteries from four to six batteries, I found a bad crimp on an OEM cable to the SDC-107A.

Please update the forum with what you find.
It's on my list. I have the info. Going to try and do it tomorrow or over the weekend. BTW, I can hear the clunk when it engages but it only allows the alternator to charge it intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. This just started happening last trip. I will post what I find. Got the grandkids all week and downtime to do RV work is hard to find.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #23

So after testing the voltage coming out, it appears that the problem is the isolator relay. It is only working intermittently. This was the diagnosis that RV Custom Products identified as a probable issue when I emailed them what was happening. I'm going to try and get a replacement from them and go from there.

Here was their email response:

It sounds like the isolator relay is intermittent. That is the silver relay, partially under the circuit board, near the stud end of the BCC. To prove it, with engine running, measure the voltage on the yellow wire going to the relay coil. If it is hot ( ~ 12vdc), the studs marked chassis battery and coach battery must be identical or the relay is bad. Of course, make the measurement when it is not charging from the engine.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #24
NXR

Quote:
So after testing the voltage coming out, it appears that the problem is the isolator relay. It is only working intermittently. This was the diagnosis that RV Custom Products identified as a probable issue when I emailed them what was happening. I'm going to try and get a replacement from them and go from there.

Here was their email response:

It sounds like the isolator relay is intermittent. That is the silver relay, partially under the circuit board, near the stud end of the BCC. To prove it, with engine running, measure the voltage on the yellow wire going to the relay coil. If it is hot ( ~ 12vdc), the studs marked chassis battery and coach battery must be identical or the relay is bad. Of course, make the measurement when it is not charging from the engine.
Thanks for the update and that sounds like good support. I wonder why they discontinued that BCC.

This is one thing I really like about the Xantrex inverter panel. It always shows the 12 VDC bus voltage. That Magnum that FR switched to does not do that.

Ray
Old 05-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks for the update and that sounds like good support. I wonder why they discontinued that BCC.

This is one thing I really like about the Xantrex inverter panel. It always shows the 12 VDC bus voltage. That Magnum that FR switched to does not do that.

Ray
Yes... I agree. Not sure on the BCC change. But I will say that customer support from RV Custom Products is outstanding. I'm out of warranty but they were quick to respond and offer advice. They also have info for troubleshooting as well as a couple schematics on the website available for download.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes... I agree. Not sure on the BCC change. But I will say that customer support from RV Custom Products is outstanding. I'm out of warranty but they were quick to respond and offer advice. They also have info for troubleshooting as well as a couple schematics on the website available for download.
2x on the good customer support from RV Custom Products.

Did you speak with John Mock at RV Custom Products? He was a big help to me.

see:
My coach batteries stopped charging from the alternator. (Bad SDC-107A).
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:

Yes I did.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:

see:
My coach batteries stopped charging from the alternator. (Bad SDC-107A).
x3
John Mock & his Customer Service is 2nd to none -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #29

Today I replaced the entire SDC-107A Battery Control Center with the new one ordered from RV Custom Products. I had to add/switch two 5 amp fuses from the old to the new that were not included. I am guessing they are unique to Georgetown. According to the schematics they are for the battery disconnect. Everything else was included and identical to the old one. Fairly easy job except for fat fingers.. There is not a lot of room to work down there, lol.

So far everything is working properly again.

Shout out to John Mock and Mary Moore from RV Custom Products for the outstanding customer service, schematics, advise, and easy transaction. FYI... BCC was sent COD with tracking at a price of 206.72 plus local shipping.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Today I replaced the entire SDC-107A Battery Control Center with the new one ordered from RV Custom Products. I had to add/switch two 5 amp fuses from the old to the new that were not included. I am guessing they are unique to Georgetown. According to the schematics they are for the battery disconnect. Everything else was included and identical to the old one. Fairly easy job except for fat fingers.. There is not a lot of room to work down there, lol.

So far everything is working properly again.

Shout out to John Mock and Mary Moore from RV Custom Products for the outstanding customer service, schematics, advise, and easy transaction. FYI... BCC was sent COD with tracking at a price of 206.72 plus local shipping.

Thanks for the update. Now go camping.

Ever notice the door is on the wrong side?
Old 05-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #31

Your coach, do as you wish, but ...

First, I am an Alternator (among other things) Designer and manufacturer and battery wholesaler.

No way on earth would I subject me or my family to the hazards of Lithium batteries. No need for a debate on the safety.

Alternators run at full output needs to be limited to less than 30 minutes and preferably less than 10. If a constant load is required, output MUST BE REDUCED BY 50% at a minimum! Not negotiable.

Lastly, there is no commonality on lithium batteries/charging - unlike typical lead acid that All have the same characteristics and charging profile. Most alternators are designed for this specification. From your post the lithium batteries are waaaaay out of this specification.

You are probably not going to do what I am about to suggest, but I'd remove the lithium, install lifeline AGMs and be happy. There is a reason the board fried. Your batteries!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Your coach, do as you wish, but ...

You are probably not going to do what I am about to suggest, but I'd remove the lithium, install lifeline AGMs and be happy. There is a reason the board fried. Your batteries!
Not sure where this came from. I have stock lead acid batteries. As to the charging rates, I did state initial rates from alternator were reading at 14.1. That does drop as the batteries charge. My batteries weren't the issue. The problem appears to have been the relay which wasn't working properly. It was failing and would only act intermittently. Replacing the BCC corrected the issue.

As I posted earlier, I have always seen a 13.9 to 14.1 on the inverter panel when starting the RV engine up when first running the engine. It has always shown some level above 12.7 when driving.

I agree with you though on when it's time for a replacement, I will go with AGM's, I just don't see the need to spend the money on lithium's.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Not sure where this came from. I have stock lead acid batteries. As to the charging rates, I did state initial rates from alternator were reading at 14.1. That does drop as the batteries charge. My batteries weren't the issue. The problem appears to have been the relay which wasn't working properly. It was failing and would only act intermittently. Replacing the BCC corrected the issue.

As I posted earlier, I have always seen a 13.9 to 14.1 on the inverter panel when starting the RV engine up when first running the engine. It has always shown some level above 12.7 when driving.

I agree with you though on when it's time for a replacement, I will go with AGM's, I just don't see the need to spend the money on lithium's.
My apologies. In looking at this, somewhere the was a link to a very similar thread where the owner fried his BCC (SDC-107A) due to Lithiums and not knowing what he was doing. I thought I replying there - I think it was an old thread not allowing posts anymore and it took me back to this thread.

'sorry, thankfully it is not your situation, but the information i posted was accurate. 'glad your system is resolved.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, batteries