Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Wink Engine and service question

Hello! I am brand new to the RV world and am trying to learn as much as possible-really appreciate this forum! I recently bought a 2020 Georgetown XL and am curious if anyone else has the same issue as I do. I tow a 2014 Honda CRV and live in my RV full time. Since I bought it brand new my check engine light will come one frequently and the codes say over speed condition and engine misfire. Now the first time this happened I was on a flat highway traveling from FL to MD. I took it to a mechanic and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I called Ford and they said I was going too fast. They couldn’t tell me how fast was too fast so I decided I wouldn’t go over 75. Well it came on multiple times, almost every time I drive it. It’s been to three different mechanics now and no one can find anything wrong. I did go up and down an extremely steep mountain with 10% grade going up at 10 mph and I did use my gears to downshift coming down. Ford told me I’m not allowed to do that and downshifting caused my light to go off because I’m “driving erratically” and the rpms are too high for too long. So on my recent trip I was in utah and went up a long steady 6% grade at about 25-30 mph and came down using breaks and letting my engine do the work. I assume the engine knows what it’s doing but it it downshifts and stays up in the 4/5 range on its own the entire way down. I’ve never owned an RV so I don’t really know what to expect and I do not understand why my check engine light comes on every time.

The thing I’ve come to suspect is that I’m suspicious that the engine is too small for the rig? I feel like it’s not powerful enough to support a rig that large and tow a car even though it’s supposed to. Anyone else have issues like this?

Also side note-again being a newly to the RV world. Does it usually take a month to have very simple repairs done through dealerships?? I’m talking my cable was never connected, a deal came lose and my shower door was leaking, oil change and it’s taking them a month WITH an appointment. Is this what I should always expect?

Thanks for any and all input-sorry about the long post!!
VenturingVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

Let me clearly state that I'm not a mechanic and don't know diddly about the mechanic side of the engines...

Right after I first bought my 34H5 I had a check engine light come on driving a flat highway. It indicated possible misfire and speed condition. I was doing 65mph towing 3k of trailer. Took it to a local shop where I was travelling and they cleared it. Couldn't see any problem but did say they've seen it before. Came on again on my way home and took it to a Ford center. They couldn't find a problem, the code was non specific, and reset the sensors. Since then it hasn't happened again (4000 miles since then I might add). Everything from bad gas to a fluke was mentioned but no one could tell me exactly why but said it can happen. I would imagine it could be a sensor problem but I cant really say.

This is my second gas motor home with the F-53 engine. Never had a problem running up the RPM's driving up and down hills. I usually use tow haul (towing a car or trailer) in the mountains and have driven long stretches up and down with the RPM's over 4000. I've never even seen the temp gauges move. I will agree that going up a consistent grade I might be crawling. Seems to me I was finally up to 30 mph last 8% grade I took before I reached the top. That was in the Utah Mountains heading up to 9000 feet. Going down I've stayed in the 4200 - 4900 +/- rpm range for as long as it took to keep the speed down. Again, never had an issue with the engine.

Like I said, I'm not a mechanic but I was told there was a limiter set at 5500 rpm to prevent over revving, maybe someone can confirm. But I've never heard anyone say this engine shouldn't be driven at high RPM's. That's usually what it gets accolades for as it keeps on going and going. Maybe someone else can tell us why Ford told you that.

As to the size, your rig is pushing the limit of gassers as far as weight goes with a 24K frame, that's going to effect performance, but since it's about the only engine out there at the moment being used in large gassers until the new one comes out (also Ford), it it what it is. The difference in weight between my last motor home and this one is noticeable driving in the mountains, especially in the fact that I get about 1 mile per gallon less than I did in the old one.

The manual also states to use a minimum of 87 octane and to use higher for increased performance. I use mid grade and premium in lots of places because the minimum octane level at the pumps drops to 85 in Utah and some other states. It also mentions the performance and mileage drop between 55 mph and 65 mph. So I'm guessing they don't recommend driving at higher speeds too much but since it's a brick on the road I don't either. But I've been passed a lot of times by other RV's doing 75 plus. I usually do 65 mph since I'm almost always towing but to each his own.

As to dealers... yep... they have to diagnose the problem, then contact FR, get approval before they send the parts and have you come back to do the work. Pretty typical of most of the RV industry. FOR what it's worth, FR has been great to deal with and I've contacted them for issues where they sent out the parts directly. My dealership doesn't work on the Ford side much so any engine work I go to the Ford service center.

Main thing is to get everything documented in that first year to get it fixed if you have issues.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturingVet View Post
Hello! I am brand new to the RV world and am trying to learn as much as possible-really appreciate this forum! I recently bought a 2020 Georgetown XL and am curious if anyone else has the same issue as I do. I tow a 2014 Honda CRV and live in my RV full time. Since I bought it brand new my check engine light will come one frequently and the codes say over speed condition and engine misfire. Now the first time this happened I was on a flat highway traveling from FL to MD. I took it to a mechanic and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I called Ford and they said I was going too fast. They couldn’t tell me how fast was too fast so I decided I wouldn’t go over 75. Well it came on multiple times, almost every time I drive it. It’s been to three different mechanics now and no one can find anything wrong. I did go up and down an extremely steep mountain with 10% grade going up at 10 mph and I did use my gears to downshift coming down. Ford told me I’m not allowed to do that and downshifting caused my light to go off because I’m “driving erratically” and the rpms are too high for too long. So on my recent trip I was in utah and went up a long steady 6% grade at about 25-30 mph and came down using breaks and letting my engine do the work. I assume the engine knows what it’s doing but it it downshifts and stays up in the 4/5 range on its own the entire way down. I’ve never owned an RV so I don’t really know what to expect and I do not understand why my check engine light comes on every time.

The thing I’ve come to suspect is that I’m suspicious that the engine is too small for the rig? I feel like it’s not powerful enough to support a rig that large and tow a car even though it’s supposed to. Anyone else have issues like this?

Also side note-again being a newly to the RV world. Does it usually take a month to have very simple repairs done through dealerships?? I’m talking my cable was never connected, a deal came lose and my shower door was leaking, oil change and it’s taking them a month WITH an appointment. Is this what I should always expect?

Without a "code" number it would be hard to really diagnose the issue. If the check engine light comes on, it will store the code. the light would only go off after 5-6 run cycles IF it does not go into that condition again. That said, there are many conditions that can cause an over speed condition that is really not related to the speed of the vehicle or the speed of the transmission. I have been chasing a "service traction control" issue in my TOAD for the last couple months. Intermittently it would SAY service traction, but no CEL. After a bunch of research, it turned out to be a bad intake cam solenoid. (variable cam timing) $50 and 20 minutes later all good. Point is, it had nothing to do with the traction control system at all. It sensed a difference in the input to the cam that threw the service traction control light, because the transmission did not receive the input it was looking for. Make sense?
Check out this link: https://ford.oemdtc.com/2676/multipl...th-6-8l-engine may be worth a shot.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
NXR

Do you have Michelin XRV tires? Those are rated for 75 MPH maximum and apparently are only tested at that speed for ten minutes.

I agree with Tom about going to a higher octane fuel when towing, especially if you have steep grades.

With the V10 you should be using Tow/Haul mode on steep descents because it can work as an engine brake. Apparently you can tap the brake and make it downshift a gear if needed. Were you using Tow/Haul mode?

Ray
Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturingVet View Post

IF you were to suffer a blow out on a Class A gasser at 75 mph, it’s not going to go well. These things are RV’s not racing machines or sports cars.
I can’t imagine your MPG at those speeds, but I guess that’s not a concern.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Something to remember, if you are going downhill and are downshifting to use the engine braking by very aware of the rpms. The rev limiter only works when you are accelerating. You can over-rev the engine going downhill very easily.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Retired Ford Tech

Engine and Service Question

When I was with Ford and a unusual problem came in, the first thing we did is run the VIN through Ford's Oasis System. Sometimes there is a TSB or Service Message that the PCM might have an update. The dealer that check the PCM for codes probably did not check for updates. You need to take it to a dealer that works on motorhomes or large trucks.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

There was a TSB out a few years ago dealing with the Accessory Drive Belt being loose and throwing a check engine light with a random misfire code. It was happening on my 2015 Georgetown XL. My ford truck dealer replaced the belt and the problem went away. I posted on here back then so if you do a search you should be able to find it.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
IF you were to suffer a blow out on a Class A gasser at 75 mph, it’s not going to go well. These things are RV’s not racing machines or sports cars.
I can’t imagine your MPG at those speeds, but I guess that’s not a concern.
X2 for sure!!! Endangering yourselves and those around you. Slow and safe is the best way.
Good luck with your problem.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service