Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #21

All 3 of our Ford engines call for 5w20,,,
I ask a Ford service writer years back if I could use 2w30 because I had some on the shelf from when they called for 5w30,,, he said I could but the 5.4 might be noisier ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #22

Had the same issue

the engine in our 2012 Georgetown 327 blew up in 2014 with under 10K miles on it, ( we bought it in 2011). We were driving on I 64. Out of no where, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and I lost all power, ( steering and brakes). The engine was replaced under warranty. I believe the internal oil pump failed. There is such a difference between the old engine and the new one. I believe the old engine was bad from the start. We bought new so we wouldn't have any problems. All we have had with this one are problems. I have never owned any vehicle with as many issues as this. Every time we time we take a trip I expect something to go wrong and it usually does.
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #23

Don't play back seat engineers. Every year the engineers may make changes and what one has done may no longer apply. Regarding Viscosity, leave it to them and do NOT reengineer it. Engine manufacturers are not as bad as the RV industry as far as hiding information, but they do not need to explain or justify their decisions on engineering. There are many parameters in the equation now. Emissions is a big one now. With modifications to tolerances and clearances, a thinner oil may be required to flow through and lubricate properly. Higher viscosity may NOT FIT through the passages. Just follow the specs and if anything happens, you are covered.

My personally SOP is change engine oil and filter with conventional oil at 1,000 miles, then every 3000 until 16k (5 additional changes) is reached. Then install Mobil 1 (currently 15K version, in days past 25K was available). Change ONLY oil filter at 7500, then oil and filter at 15K. The engine has lasted without failure until I dispose of vehicle!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Don't play back seat engineers. Every year the engineers may make changes and what one has done may no longer apply. Regarding Viscosity, leave it to them and do NOT reengineer it. Engine manufacturers are not as bad as the RV industry as far as hiding information, but they do not need to explain or justify their decisions on engineering. There are many parameters in the equation now. Emissions is a big one now. With modifications to tolerances and clearances, a thinner oil may be required to flow through and lubricate properly. Higher viscosity may NOT FIT through the passages. Just follow the specs and if anything happens, you are covered.

My personally SOP is change engine oil and filter with conventional oil at 1,000 miles, then every 3000 until 16k (5 additional changes) is reached. Then install Mobil 1 (currently 15K version, in days past 25K was available). Change ONLY oil filter at 7500, then oil and filter at 15K. The engine has lasted without failure until I dispose of vehicle!

What happened to "don't play back seat engineer"?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
[/COLOR]

What happened to "don't play back seat engineer"?
I'm not. I'm following the Viscosity and oil change mileage interval recommendations set by both OEMs and using Mobil 1 as stated by their engineers. Mobile 1 is a synthetic that offers a version that has a longer (15K) lasting useful life between changes. You can get their "cheaper" version that requires 7500 mile oil change intervals if you like. If nothing to add, no need to reply to posts.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I am surprised, the Ford V10 is normally a very good engine (I say that even though I work for the General down the road). I too would like to hear what failed.
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I'm not. I'm following the Viscosity and oil change mileage interval recommendations set by both OEMs and using Mobil 1 as stated by their engineers. Mobile 1 is a synthetic that offers a version that has a longer (15K) lasting useful life between changes. You can get their "cheaper" version that requires 7500 mile oil change intervals if you like. If nothing to add, no need to reply to posts.
Ditto!!
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote