Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Engine noise

Wife and I made the "mistake" of stopping at a RV show this past weekend. We looked at some GT Class A's and do like the 329DS. Having a FR currently, I'm comfortable with the product.

I read here of engine noise issues, and being able to see the back of dash from under the rig? Are these noises loud enough to interfer with normal talking? Is this loudness and dash board exposer common in all gas class A's ?

I also read there are no dash area radio speakers? Can you listen to music / news while traveling? Or does it have to be blasting from the back somewhere?

Also, reading the residential refrigerator causes battery issues? And, can I assume it uses allot more propane?

Thank you for any thoughts!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

I don't have a 329, we have a 351 but I can take a shot at your questions -

Yes, the engine can be loud - my husband and I don't have any issues hearing each other when in the front together, but when you are talking with someone from the front to the back (or vice versa) it can be difficult to be heard. I don't find it much louder than my SUV personally, but sensitivity noise levels are somewhat individual....

I'm not sure what you mean on back of the dash from under the rig - so I will skip that question.

Ours does not have the dash area speakers, which is a HUGE issue IMHO. When we turn the dash stereo/home theater on, it plays the 4 speakers in the back. Fine when we are parked, not awesome while driving. We are looking at adding a switch and speakers to the front, but haven't yet done it. Someone had posted the mods they had made on their GT to get the speakers and said it worked well.

With that said - some of the new GT's i've seen photos of have a dedicated "home theater" so they may have made some changes to the speaker layout as well. Not sure, as I haven't seen in person. Our local RV show isn't until March, so a few more weeks before I can check it out (unless I head over to my dealer to see it there, but haven't yet)

We have the residential fridge and it's awesome. No propane at all, it either runs off the batteries or plugged in, and the batteries are charged either when you are driving, when you are plugged in or by running the generator. We have 4 batteries, and we've gotten upwards of 30 hours running the fridge without charging the batteries, i think they were at 2/3 when we started her up again. (it was parked outside our house before a trip) we've never dry camped with it while running other lights etc, so can't comment there.

happy to answer any more questions if you have them.....

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

My 2014 360 GT has speakers over the driver's and wife's head & the sound is fine going down the road. Engine noise is quite, except when it downshifts on hills - and then you just hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

If you are doing 65 mph into a head wind yes it can be noisy.
Cruising down a good highway at 60-65 mph it is reasonable.
I look at it this way about the engine noise. Driving is just a small fraction of anyone's trip and isn't a big deal.
If you want quiet sure get a diesel pusher for another $100,000 plus and I'm sure you will be able to hear the stereo.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Very nice rigs, it is a shame for $ 100,000.00 plus, they can't / won't insulate the engine noise better! I'm assuming most of the manufactors of gas models are like this.

Iggy, some folks will settle for anything.....I like comfort and good music for long hauls!

If I want to hear loud noise while driving, I'll fold back the roof and take my Jeep!

Thank you for the replies, maybe I'll just have to test drive one!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #6

We have a 2013 378 XL. Going down the road at 62 we do not hear the engine. When it down shifts 1 gear not really an issue. When it is hot outside and it downshifts 2 gears and the engine revs to 4500 RPM and the fan clutch is engaged then yes it is loud but then I slow down to 50 MPH and the RPMs go to 3500 then it is reasonable and not an issue again. We have carpet under the drivers and passengers side as well as carpet on the doghouse so that seems to keep the noise issue down. All in all not a problem for us. I feel like the noise is not anymore than a truck when it downshift. My dura max made the same amount of noise under the same conditions.
As for the speakers we have 2 over head where we sit and we hear the radio just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
WDK

I have tried hard to try and find the noise being a problem with my engine since this topic but it's not a bother and I also have the speakers right over of the driver and passenger seats as well as back through the coach, 6 all together and I hear my music just fine.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

I'm betting the in-dash audio system/radio, the power of the audio system/radio, and the OEM speakers is different in almost every model, in almost every year.

My rig is in storage so I can't confirm what brand in-dash unit we have....AM/FM/CD/Aux input. I can tell you that it only came equipped with two 4" speakers installed in behind some black fabric, located in the shelving/cubbys just above the driver and passenger seats along the side walls. It was NOT connected to the 5 in-ceiling speakers and woofer for the television/DVD unit, which can only be used on 110VAC. These OEM shelving/cubbys are located just above the side windows of the driver and passenger.

By the time I'd crank the volume to where we could really enjoy our music, these 4" speakers had reached their breaking point, and started to distort.
I have since replaced them with some decent box speakers from an old "boom box" stereo unit we had hanging around the house.

Solid sound!!!!!!!! And no distortion. What engine noise???????

I also installed them with 30 foot wiring so that we can listen to the speakers outside under the patio awning. Solid sound again!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

If the engine is too loud turn up the tunes
Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

We have never found engine noise to be an issue. It's no more than any class C we've ever owned. The residential fridge is fantastic and has caused no battery issues. On fresh batteries, count on the fridge running approx 24 hours if not hooked up to short power / running the gen / or driving. The speakers in the new GT's are pathetic. If music quality is a priority, just plan on upgrading. You CAN listen to music driving down the road. Quality isn't great, but you can.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #11

Just gotta say this - Iggy is spot on about the engine noise - it is a gasser. And might I say Iggy is always huge help to all of us neophyte owners.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #12

I just purchased a 2015 GT. On flat terrain, the engine noise is quite acceptable. But, much of this country is definitely not flat. Although I've only put a couple of thousand miles on my new GT, I find the noise intolerable when in passing gear. This is especially noticeable on a long uphill drive of 10 minutes or more. Engine sounds like it's going to explode at any second especially over 4,000 rpm. The carpet over the doghouse sounds like a good idea and I plan to try it.
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Very nice rigs, it is a shame for $ 100,000.00 plus, they can't / won't insulate the engine noise better! I'm assuming most of the manufactors of gas models are like this.

Iggy, some folks will settle for anything.....I like comfort and good music for long hauls!

If I want to hear loud noise while driving, I'll fold back the roof and take my Jeep!

Thank you for the replies, maybe I'll just have to test drive one!

Go buy a diesel pusher. They are only quiet because the engine is way in the back. The only bad noise will be the sound of your empty wallet. Higher initial cost, higher fuel cost and higher maintenance cost. And if you haven't test driven one then you really don't know for sure what the facts are. Truth is the gasser is only loud at high rpms. That can be mostly avoided by staying in tow/haul mode or leaving the overdrive off. Speeding up a little when approaching typical Interstate hills will usually avoid loud downshifts/high rpms. On very long steep hills (a very small percentage of drive time) just stay in the right lane and don't try to keep up with cars and fast traffic. Use tow/haul to select a gear that keeps you at around 3500rpm going up hill. Stay at around 2200rpm on the flatter roads. On rolling hills do like the truckers. Build speed going down and use it to climb up. Smart use of the transmission and driving technique avoids most of the noise.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #14

x2 Iggy and BillMFI.

The v-10 is much louder than the GM 8.1, which isn't available anymore. When possible, I keep the rpms to about 4200 going uphills, just go a little slower than some. If I nail it, it is louder, but keeps up with just about anything. At full throttle, the radio is hard to hear. Anything less, not a problem. Was going to replace the speakers above the driver and passenger, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the old ones without destroying the frame holding them in. I'm not sure it would improve anything, as I don't turn it loud enough to distort them.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #15

Yes there is some noise issues. However nothing that can,t be corrected... . Some noise will come through the windshield but nothing can be done so there are other places.....such as the dog house and some from under the dash..just have to look for places that unwanted sound comes from'... and this is nothing to do with FR ,,,it just a common problem with most..
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #16

X2 on the gasser noise - acceptable for us - and way less $s.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #17

Thanks to all of you. The combined wisdom is what I like about this site. I'
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Grape Escape

Noise

Only time ours can be heard is when climbing steep grades otherwise all I hear is wind noise . PM me if you want answers
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #19

To remove the speaker cover push in on the fabric where you see the outline of the speaker cut out mone your finger around the rim untill you find a slot, press down and pull out.. the speaker is held in with four screws. New speakers will make big difference...we added rear speakers also
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
Tinkerer and Putterer

FYI keeping the rig between 3500 and 4200 RPM will keep the rig near its torque peak which is one of the reasons it's quieter than when you go above 4000. The engine is working harder with more horsepower but less torque which when your driving a brick means that you'll at best hold your speed or, if you get too high in the revs actually lose speed and a nice chunk of $$$ in gas when trying to pull a hill. Horsepower is great for sports cars but for large rigs torque is king.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote