Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Engine Trouble 2014 351

We went on a short trip last weekend (100miles). When we got back home I noticed a ticking sound coming from engine. 3400 miles on new coach. Checked all fluids and they are good. Talked to Ford and took it in the dealer. They called after looking and said they thought engine would need to be pulled and had me take it to Nextran Ford warranty service hear local. Drove it bout 8miles there and had everything turned off to listen. Idling it ticks. Revving as in take off it gets faster but less audible. When it changes gears sounds loud. If let foot off accelerator at high rpm it totally scares you. Loud cackling noise that lessons as rpms go down.

I don't know what it is but hope not too serious. I will update when more info is known. Also having them check ac blows cool but not cold.

Anyone had this happen or am I the lucky one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

Could be valve train noise or a cracked flex plate ( metal plate connecting crankshaft to torque convertor of transmission) either way good luck
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Or timing chain tensioners loose....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #4

Sounds like a valve tick or a lifter issue.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

Or an exhaust manifold leak. We had a bolt break on an exhaust manifold a few years ago and the leak sounded like lifter noise.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #6

there is a number if things that it could be let them pull and if need be ford will replace the motor, trans or both. That's what I would demand. Do not want a rebuilt or anything else except new... As for the A/C mine was just recharged and there was a leak on the low side at the Schrader valve. The A/C calls for .85 of Freon and I have .13 so it was definitely low.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
there is a number if things that it could be let them pull and if need be ford will replace the motor, trans or both. That's what I would demand. Do not want a rebuilt or anything else except new... As for the A/C mine was just recharged and there was a leak on the low side at the Schrader valve. The A/C calls for .85 of Freon and I have .13 so it was definitely low.

I hope it turns out not too serious but if it comes down to that, how would I be able to demand a new engine? Wouldn't that be between ford and Nextran shop? I agree I bought a new 2014 coach with a new engine not a rebuilt one. I don't like the idea of a rebuilt engine, always seems to have more trouble down the road of time. Once Nextran lets me know what they have found then I can make a decision and hopefully talk to whomever I need to to get resolved.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

I talked with Nextran and they said ford automatically sends a ford remanufactured engine if it needs rebuilding. They said maybe Tuesday before they get to her. Feels like waiting for news about my kid at doctor or something.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

I believe that if its coming from Ford Motor Company it may be a long block and they will switch everything else over. I don't think they do remanufactured but as long as the warranty starts all over again from 00000 miles then then that would be ok. Also I would get a contact from Ford and explain what is going on and see if they are willing to assist in anything else like taking the warranty up to a 7 yr 100000 mile warranty. It cant hurt to ask.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

My 2012 328 just blew the engine on i64 about 2 hrs ago. Started making the same noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvpga View Post
My 2012 328 just blew the engine on i64 about 2 hrs ago. Started making the same noise.

That sucks. Hope your still in 2 year window for ford roadside assistance and in ford warranty. Let me know how yours turns out.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Ford towed it under warranty. They towed it to a Walmart parking lot until they can find a dealer that can fix it. Then they said they will tow it again to the dealer.

tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

Update:

Our girl is still in shop. They believe there was a faulty part on timing chain tensioner or something in that area. Originally they ordered new tensioner and guides and chain. They opened up the head and saw some damage and now have ordered the entire valve head assembly and cam shaft. Said they can change it without pulling motor. They said could have just changed some parts but I like that they are getting it all new.
I have put in a call to ford to ask for a free 7yr warranty extended. I'll see how that goes. Will update once all is fixed and get the girl back.

So half a new motor. Of course they got to check pistons too once head is removed.

How's yours going?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #14

Hope you can get Ford to extend your warranty. Don't give up at first they will say they can't do that and request to speak to the Director of Customer Relations/Warranty, Then explain everything to him/her....
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
Retired Ford Tech

Did Ford tell you which head? They had some issues with the o ring seals between the tensioner and the oil port on the block. If the tensioner lost it's oil pressure, the tensioner would let the chain to go slack. Did the engine lose power or set the check engine light?
Sounds like just a random occurrence, It's a good sound engine!!
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
Did Ford tell you which head? They had some issues with the o ring seals between the tensioner and the oil port on the block. If the tensioner lost it's oil pressure, the tensioner would let the chain to go slack. Did the engine lose power or set the check engine light?
Sounds like just a random occurrence, It's a good sound engine!!

No check engine light. No noticeable loss of power. Started making ticking noise when idling and maybe what you call a loud cackling noise between shift changes or when engine is revved and let off gas like in stop go traffic. All fluids at proper levels. Nothing unusual on dash display. Did sound like it was coming from the right but obviously that's where engine is located per drivers seat.

I may have caught it early before blew engine up. Who knows.

I've been a chevy man my whole life. This is my first ford. Not impressed and uneasy about all this.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #17

We have a friend with a 2011 Sunseeker. His engine started ticking and when it turned into a clunking he was towed to a Ford dealer. They told him the crankshaft was missing a drilling for one bearing lube flow and that rod bearing was shot. This at 6500 miles. He got a new long block.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #18

Update:
They put an entire new head assembly on and all parts new involved with that. Cranked her up and same ticking sound. They are now tearing it all back down looking at pistons and such. Will be next week to see if entire engine will be changed or not.

I talked to ford about extended to 7 yr warranty. They seemed to be shooting that idea down. I'm told the power train is already covered for 5yrs/60000 miles with road side included. I didn't realize that. Just ready to get her back.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #19

Did they change out the timing chains and guides and chain tensioners? ( I can only assume they did... )

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #20

5 yr 60000 mile warranty is good did know they came with that. I would just ask for my warranty to start from the date that it is fixed. Start the clock over again, and I would be satisfied with that.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie

Tags