Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #1

Entry door hitting awning arm when extended.

I am having a problem with the top of our entry door hitting the front awning support arm. Has anyone had this problem? Are there any adjustments on the bottom piston to reduce the length. Looking for recommendations and solutions before we scratch or damage door or awning rail. Thanks
2021 Georgetown 34H5
DaBull2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
NXR

Odd. Our piston only allows the door to open 90 degrees. Yours allows more movement than that?

Some people with the LCI doors, me included, have installed the supplemental Lippert "friction hinge" kit. That kit adds a couple more hinges that have a lot of resistance in them. While I still have the piston in place to avoid any awning arm interference probems on the rare occasions when we open that awning, the friction hinges keep the door where I put it, even against the pressure of the piston.

They also keep the door from slamming open if "someone" just lets go of the door or if the wind partially closes the door momentarily.

A thread on the friction hinges: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2454531

The hinge kit I used: https://store.lci1.com/friction-hing...ack-2020102629

Note that some people have said their newer entry doors do not have enough room for the friction hinge kit. Our 2020 GT5 34H5 had plenty of room. The friction hinges are the same size as the other hinges already installed.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Friction Hinge.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	642.3 KB
ID:	275188  
Old 06-20-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Paracord!!

To stop our door from hitting the awning arm, you can install a length of paracord as the stop mark for the door to open.

I drilled holes for self tapping screws into the door frame and the top of the door and finished the ends with eyelets at the end of the length needed. The slack of the paracord just drapes in between the door and screen door when they close.

Easy peasy some say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8187C5D3-74AC-4F13-B9F7-8809D2A2E302.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	275189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAFF625B-D054-4B69-B7CF-F237049AACFC.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	275190  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door