Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
Jvz

Equinox and RVI issues

Have a 2019 equinox toad and RVI towed battery charger. I am aware of the issues between them and have experienced dead battery issues myself. My question is what are other folks doing about this issue. Have you figured out a way to make it work or have you moved to another battery charging system. If so, what other system.

Joe
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
NXR

Yeah, that would be me...

I just cut the thing out and returned it. I then just jumpered the wires together. It's now a straight shot from the 6-pin connection on the car through a 20-amp fuse to the battery busbar. I've never had close to a dead battery since doing that.

RVi now says you can pull the Rear Window Wiper fuse and then their Towed Battery Charger will work fine.

Maybe, but I'd ask them how they tested to assure that pulling that fuse does not also disable anything else.

Ray
Old 07-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Jvz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yeah, that would be me...

I just cut the thing out and returned it. I then just jumpered the wires together. It's now a straight shot from the 6-pin connection on the car through a 20-amp fuse to the battery busbar. I've never had close to a dead battery since doing that.

RVi now says you can pull the Rear Window Wiper fuse and then their Towed Battery Charger will work fine.

Maybe, but I'd ask them how they tested to assure that pulling that fuse does not also disable anything else.

Ray

That is what I did today. Very disappointed with it because I like the tablet features that displays the voltage readings. But after numerous situations with dead or nearly dead batteries, no more. Also, I pulled that fuse and it did not help. Now they said i may have a weak battery.
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #4

My rv dealer assured me I wouldn't have any towed vehicle run down battery issues on my 2013 GMC Acadia which requires pulling 3 fuses before towing. And he was right!

My dealer ran a line from the 6 pin connecter to a circuit breaker and then to the battery. Works great, was on a 25 day trip this summer and no battery issues whatsoever.

I almost insisted on the RVi charger as they claim GM vehicles can suffer from parasitic battery drain despite pulling the fuses.

BTW, I did install 2 Blue Ox fuse bypass switches prior to my trip and its a snap now to tow or drive
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz View Post
Have a 2019 equinox toad and RVI towed battery charger. I am aware of the issues between them and have experienced dead battery issues myself. My question is what are other folks doing about this issue. Have you figured out a way to make it work or have you moved to another battery charging system. If so, what other system.

Joe

We also are pulling a 2019 Equinox 2.0 LT AWD behind our 2012 Lexington 265 DS.
The toad is equiped with a Breakbuddy battery maintenance charger. We have a Blue-Ox Patriot II auxiliary breaking system.

On our Feb. 2020 trip down South(pre-Covid 19), we encountered a dead barrery situation near Harrisburg, PA. We got stucked for three days before getting the Equinox back on the road after a GM dealer fieed the issue but could't explain the source. We were just happy to continue our trip down to FL.

On the same RV Park, we met another owner of a 2019 Equinox that encountered a similar issue.

After long discussions, we found that both of us have been travelling at night for a good period of time and noticed that the headlights were turning ON automatically. The car is equipped with a light sensor over the dash. The maintenance charger could't supply enough power to the consumption.

So on our way back Northbound, I foolled the sensor by installing a tiny LED on top of it for night travelling. No more issue.

Later, I had a dicussion with the tech serviceman at my GM dealer, he came up with a solution: removing 2 fuses under the underdash fuses box. I am not a contortionist, I prefer my way of doing.

Hope that my story help !
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #6
NXR

Nice catch. I always turn the headlight automatic function OFF when configuring for towing.

One thing to remember, though, is that starting the car to run it for five minutes at a stop re-enables the headlight automatic function so you need to remember to twist the spring-loaded knob counterclockwise again each time.

Ray
Old 07-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Nice catch. I always turn the headlight automatic function OFF when configuring for towing.

One thing to remember, though, is that starting the car to run it for five minutes at a stop re-enables the headlight automatic function so you need to remember to twist the spring-loaded knob counterclockwise again each time.

Ray

That is what is said in the owner's manual...

I have to 《remember》to do, but... ?!?!

That is why I fooled the sensor. I don't have to remember. LoL.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
That is what is said in the owner's manual...

I have to 《remember》to do, but... ?!?!

That is why I fooled the sensor. I don't have to remember. LoL.
Haha, OK. The reason I mentioned it is I helped an Equinox owner last winter with this precise issue. After writing down when he had the battery problem and when he did not we both realized it was only after night towing.

I asked him about the automatic headlight function and he was adamant that he always turned it off. Since that didn't make sense I asked him to show me what he did (he had an earlier model than me).

He popped out the button for the dash light intensity and turned it full counterclockwise.

Well, that would help but not quite as much as he needed...

I showed him the spring-loaded knob and the confirming DIC message and he was a bit crestfallen but happy to learn it probably was not a defect in the car. And that it would not cost him any money to fix it.

Ray
Old 08-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #9

NXR,

I forgot to specify that our Equinox is made for the canadian market where the Daytime Auto Headlights are mandatory. But when I setup the car as a toad the procedure require to set the ignition on «Accessory» mode and turn ALL accessories OFF including lights. What I'm doing(doing right, I think).

We just came back from a Quebec North-Shore 20 days Journey but we didn't travel at night.

During the coming week, I will try, again, to simulate night driving and check if I am doing something wrong.

I will come back to give the info.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
NXR

Sounds like a plan. Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? If so:

Connect the car to the motorhome, configure it for towing, and measure the voltage at the car battery. It probably will be around 12.3 to 12.5 VDC, depending on the age of your car battery.

Start the motorhome and let it run at idle. Go measure the voltage at the car battery again.

If it's above 12.6 VDC life is good.

If the motorhome is putting out close to 13 VDC at idle, the closer the car battery voltage is to the motorhome voltage the better.

Turn the headlights on manually, wait a minute or two, and measure the voltage at the car battery. If it's still above 12.6 VDC you should be fine.

Remember, the closer the car battery voltage is to the motorhome battery voltage, as read directly at each battery with the motorhome running and the car configured for towing, the better your charging circuit is.

The further apart the two voltage readings are the worse the charging circuit is.

Once the car battery voltage drops below 12.6 VDC the car battery is discharging.

Once you get some voltage readings, and have written down the readings AND the condition (lights on, lights off, MH at idle, whatever), report back, please.

If it's too difficult to read the motorhome voltage directly at the battery, it is acceptable to read the voltage inside at a power outlet.

BTW, I don't think DRL's (daytime running lights) are mandatory in the USA but many, many cars have them anyway. I think my 2020 Equinox has them. We also drive with the motorhome headlights on all the time.

Good luck,

Ray