Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Filling Fresh Water tank

As a newbie I was filling my fresh water tank for my first trip today and it started overflowing which obvious told me the tank was full. I shut the water off and it kept overflowing. When it finally stopped I check the gauge in the coach and it said the tank was only 2/3 full. What am I doing wrong or is this supposed to happen? It was on relatively level ground.
Thanks for your help.
RLFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFarrell View Post
As a newbie I was filling my fresh water tank for my first trip today and it started overflowing which obvious told me the tank was full. I shut the water off and it kept overflowing. When it finally stopped I check the gauge in the coach and it said the tank was only 2/3 full. What am I doing wrong or is this supposed to happen? It was on relatively level ground.
Thanks for your help.
Your not doing anything wrong, just finding out what so many of us have found out. FR does a really poor job of routing the vent hoses on many of their rigs. Since they hang lower than the tank in most cases it creates a siphon. There are several threads here on the subject. The easy fix is to put a garden hose ball valve on the end of the vent tube and close it when you are done filling then open it when you get where you are going, or re run the vent tube if you can. You may have to blow the water back into the tank to stop the siphon once you open the vent valve too. See this thread for a long discussion on the issue.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks I really appreciate the info. I was scared I was doing something wrong. I will try that fix.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

I took my RV in to have some things checked out and when I asked the mechanic about the water overflowing he looked at it filled it. And low and behold it started overflowing from the siphone tube which is on top of the tank. As it drained the tank started collapsing on the top and the sides as well. We are waiting to hear back from Forest River about what we can do to fix it. It is a real design flaw. All the had to do was design a baffle of some sort in the tank and this probably wouldn't happen. But they went cheap. I will keep you posted on what happens with FR.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

It will be interesting to hear FR's response. Thanks for keeping us informed.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #6

Just to let you know. Forest River is replacing the water tank. It should be here any day.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFarrell View Post
Just to let you know. Forest River is replacing the water tank. It should be here any day.
Thanks for all your help.
That's good to hear but it will be with the same tank you had and the siphon problem will still exist which means you will run the chance of collapsing this tank too. Ours collapsed as well but it was no problem to close the ball valve on the vent while I was filling it one day and re "inflated" it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #8

I just had the same problem happen to me. What a terrible design
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote