Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Filling fresh water tank ALL THE WAY

We will be dry camping a bit this summer and I'd like to make sure we enter the campground with our fresh water tank as full as possible. I rarely fill it completely full, as we typically camp all full hookup sites, so all we need is ample water while traveling - maybe 1/3 tank or so.

On our previous coaches, there has been an overflow line that simply drains water on the ground when the fresh tank is completely full. Anyone know if that's the case on the newer Georgetowns? I'll probably crawl around under the coach this weekend and have a look but thought perhaps someone has experienced this already. Of course there is the "full" tank indicator on the control panel inside, but I use that as a guide only.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I'm going to say there is an overflow pipe as we have one on our model which is a few years older.

The problem has been that sometimes they continue to empty the water because of sloshing en route......this is a common complaint on several brands. I installed an inline shut-off ball valve, and never had it empty since.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

2012 model here and it does have the overflow line.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #4

If you are looking at the passenger's side of the coach, open the second bay, from left to right, and that's your water tank and water pump compartment. The door fold down.

I personally didn't care for the black plastic cover that hides everything so I removed it. Now I have full view of the tank as it fills. You can see the overflow pipe on top of the tank and exiting on the bottom of the compartment.

One thing I noticed was that if you fill it to the brim so that water came out of the overfill, it will keep draining for a while. That's the syphoning effect. There are a couple of fixes, but I decided to just fill it while watching the water level. Once it's close to the top I stop.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
If you are looking at the passenger's side of the coach, open the second bay, from left to right, and that's your water tank and water pump compartment. The door fold down.

I personally didn't care for the black plastic cover that hides everything so I removed it. Now I have full view of the tank as it fills. You can see the overflow pipe on top of the tank and exiting on the bottom of the compartment.

One thing I noticed was that if you fill it to the brim so that water came out of the overfill, it will keep draining for a while. That's the syphoning effect. There are a couple of fixes, but I decided to just fill it while watching the water level. Once it's close to the top I stop.
howdy: what I did was remove the the black plastic that covers water tank and then you can see water tank and all that is going on, I fill my water tank to about half inch from top of tank because you can see it, it will give you a better idea how it works, you can see all sensors .I watch this when filling and only fill to about full. if you take this cover off it will answer all your questions. The cover is quit large and has 4 screws in each corner. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

We have a 2005 georgetown xl model 359.....have not used it much.....but used it this weekend and encountered a problem. We filled the fresh water tank before leaving and when we arrived we had very little water in tank....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405786166.661974.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	58483. Could i have sloshed the water out the overflow....if so can someone suggest a fix
Wwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #7

I will guess you got siphoned.
Tank was clear full or even over filled and running down the road caused a siphon effect.

Leave the tank a little low.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwaller View Post
We have a 2005 georgetown xl model 359.....have not used it much.....but used it this weekend and encountered a problem. We filled the fresh water tank before leaving and when we arrived we had very little water in tank....Attachment 58483. Could i have sloshed the water out the overflow....if so can someone suggest a fix
Have the same unit with the same problem. Water sloshes out the overflow because the tank is very wide and not very tall. I can lose 2/3 tank of water in about 6 hours of driving. As a fix, I Installed the ball valve on the overflow hose. Made a costly mistake when we stopped at a rest area and used water without opening the valve. That pump sucked in the top of the tank and broke the fill connection. Cost a new water tank.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

I've seen semi tanker trucks that have collapsed that way. There is also a video of a railroad tank car being sucked in. Yep, it can be pricey.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
ME

Not sure of a answer but what about the fancier rigs I wonder how they do it? Sad to say but I have tilted our rig just to fill it more only later to see it slosh out at every turn
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

I am going to install a one way valve. This will allow air in but should stop water out. The valve has a flap inside that is hinged to swing in for air to enter tank but if water pushes on the flap it will seal up the opening. I used this same design already on my sump pump system in our basement
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I am going to install a one way valve. This will allow air in but should stop water out. The valve has a flap inside that is hinged to swing in for air to enter tank but if water pushes on the flap it will seal up the opening. I used this same design already on my sump pump system in our basement
Would that type valve allow air to escape when filling the tank?

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
So, how is the air displaced by the water when filling the tank suppossed to escape. Seems like there might be an issue with your idea.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Very Good point ....
I will need instal a Tall loop with( 2 ) T and ( 2 ) 90 in the same line. Start it just before the one way valve go straight up as high as my compartment allows and then back down to the line just after the one way. I will let everyone know how it works once done. The tall loop should keep the water in and let the air out. I may not even need the one valve if I can go up high enough and straight up with loop.
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Let us know how you make out.
I wanted to do the loop and vent but the drain line goes very close to the top of the compartment.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

I am having the same problem. 2008 370 Georgetown. Can siphon 10 to 20 gallons in a few miles. I would like to know more about the one way valve. Don't you have to let air out while you're filling it.
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #17

What I'm trying is I reduced the size of the overflow, went from the pool hose down to 3/4 then down to 1/2 then to 1/4" it may still spill some water but not like it was. I fastened the line right up against the bottom of the floor as high as I could. I will post back when I get back from this next trip.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #18

Ran just shy of 200 mi and lost no water. Will post again after the return trip.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Ran just shy of 200 mi and lost no water. Will post again after the return trip.
howdy all: what I did on my 378 xl was put a shut off value on vent line from tank it is a clear tube, when filling I leave open, and when I leave I turn it closed and never loose water at all. Remember to leave open when filling and shut when going down the road, this works for us. Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
howdy all: what I did on my 378 xl was put a shut off value on vent line from tank it is a clear tube, when filling I leave open, and when I leave I turn it closed and never loose water at all. Remember to leave open when filling and shut when going down the road, this works for us. Pete
Be sure and give us a jingle when your tank has collapsed due to using water pump while in transient or while at camp site forgetting to open valve; said Murphy. Hope not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank