Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Finding water pump hose

Georgetown Gang:

We have a 2012 Georgetown 378 that has been having a problem that many of you have mentioned: namely, the fresh water tank fills up and overflows when we are hooked to city water. In an earlier post, Iggy responded by letting us know that a fix is to install a backflow prevention device on the line leading from the pump. He even included a picture of the line with the device installed.

Problem: I feel like a complete DOLT, but I have been in every bin and cannot find anything that looks like the picture he posted. Can anyone tell me where on earth the line is, leading out of the water pump that he shows in his photo?

Thanks for any help you can render, T. Gysin
tdgysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Team

You can try this first.
Disconnect city water
open faucet and run water until it stops
close faucet.
Turn on water pump
run water for 30 secs
close faucet
when water pump stops turn it off
Reconnect city water.

This many times will reset the back flow valve in the water pump. Also remember to keep water pump off when on city water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Tons of threads about this very problem. 99% is the check valve on the water pump is stuck open and allow city water to FW tank. Most do this...disconnect city water, turn on water pump...with water in tank, go turn a couple faucets on for a few seconds then off...back on, then off again. Do this several times and then turn off water pump, reconnect city water and see if it stops filling the FW tank.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgysin View Post
Georgetown Gang:

We have a 2012 Georgetown 378 that has been having a problem that many of you have mentioned: namely, the fresh water tank fills up and overflows when we are hooked to city water. In an earlier post, Iggy responded by letting us know that a fix is to install a backflow prevention device on the line leading from the pump. He even included a picture of the line with the device installed.

Problem: I feel like a complete DOLT, but I have been in every bin and cannot find anything that looks like the picture he posted. Can anyone tell me where on earth the line is, leading out of the water pump that he shows in his photo?

Thanks for any help you can render, T. Gysin
I haven't seen iggy's post but in the next to last bin on the right side of your unit the pump is behind the panel with the access ports. pull the panel (about 6 screws) to gain access to the pump. One thought though, it might be better to install a check valve on the input side of the pump instead of the output side. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #5

Found iggy's photo and yes it is at the water pump. Gain access as stated above and it will all be clear to you.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Jack of All Trades

Standard industrial practice is to put a check valve on the discharge (Pressure) side of a pump.
A check valve has a property called “cracking pressure”, the pressure required to open the valve. When putting a check valve on the inlet (suction) side of a pump, this cracking pressure may prevent the pump priming.
Another advantage of putting the check valve on the discharge side of the pump is the city water pressure is not applied to the pump and input strainer.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Standard industrial practice is to put a check valve on the discharge (Pressure) side of a pump.
A check valve has a property called “cracking pressure”, the pressure required to open the valve. When putting a check valve on the inlet (suction) side of a pump, this cracking pressure may prevent the pump priming.
Another advantage of putting the check valve on the discharge side of the pump is the city water pressure is not applied to the pump and input strainer.

Rick
This post totally confuses me, it must be backwards. Check valve after the pump, water could still back up into the tank, and the city water pressure would still be in the pump.
Why would you need a check valve after the pump? So the faucets don't drain backwards? Once the water passes thru the water pump, how could it back up into the water tank?
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
This post totally confuses me, it must be backwards. Check valve after the pump, water could still back up into the tank, and the city water pressure would still be in the pump.
Why would you need a check valve after the pump? So the faucets don't drain backwards? Once the water passes thru the water pump, how could it back up into the water tank?
First you have to understand the issue. The pump has an internal check valve and that can get stuck open and allow water to flow back into the holding tank when shore water is connected and the pump is not being used. So an external check valve is installed to not allow the water to flow back into the tank through the pump stuck open check valve. The check valve is installed so that flow is from the pump side and blocked from the plumbing (faucets) side (not allowing flow back through a water pump stuck open check valve). Does the issue make some sense to you now?

I don't know anything about this industry standard thing but think the pumps that are referenced in it would be nothing like the pumps in an RV (built in check valve). My only contention is if using the pump (no shore water) and it has a bad check valve that the pump would cycle on and off due to pressure bleeding off if the check valve was installed on the output side. Have not read any issues where the check valve is installed on the pump intake side which does not allow pressure bleed off and cycling.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

I can see the line from the tank to the pump, but I guess I don't know for sure where the city water connection line come from. Does it pass thru the strainer and the water pump or does it some how tie in after the pump?

My back flo preventer or check valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1is coming from Amazon tomorrow.
It will be very easy to install on the intake side of the water pump strainer.
Not so easy on the output side because I would have to move the pump because the output line is against a wall, no room for the external check valve.
Would I be wasting my time putting it on the intake side of the pump?

FWIW- There are 2 different pictures in the Amazon reviews, on has the check valve before the pump and the other has it after
Old 03-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
I can see the line from the tank to the pump, but I guess I don't know for sure where the city water connection line come from. Does it pass thru the strainer and the water pump or does it some how tie in after the pump?

My back flo preventer or check valve https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1is coming from Amazon tomorrow.
It will be very easy to install on the intake side of the water pump strainer.
Not so easy on the output side because I would have to move the pump because the output line is against a wall, no room for the external check valve.
Would I be wasting my time putting it on the intake side of the pump?

FWIW- There are 2 different pictures in the Amazon reviews, on has the check valve before the pump and the other has it after
The city water tie in is after the pump. The decision as where to install a check valve (before or after the pump) is yours. You have read both sides of the issue and it's your call. The one thing you want to do is install the check valve facing the right direction i.e. flow arrow away from pump if after and towards pump if before.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Just an update, I got the anti backflo valve from Amazon but put it in my spare parts box. I decided to just put in a manual ball valve before the pump, then I can check if the check valve in the pump fixed itself or not and if not, I'll shut the ball valve.
I emailed FR about the issue, they said they are sending me a new water pump. I thought, "nice", I'll have a new spare, then they said they want me to return the other defective one.
Not sure I'm impressed with that since the dealer would charge them labor, probably more than the price of a pump, but, we'll see.
I guess that's nice of them, but Hoovers response was very robotic, he said he'd snd the parts I requested and did not even refer to a water pump or the problem.
Oh well.

Tags
pump, water, water pump