Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Fireplace problem

Seems like everytime I turn the fireplace on to generate heat, the breaker trips. I can turn on the part of the fireplace that only gives off the light show of flames but can't use it for heat.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? It's winter now and would really like to use the fireplace for heat. Thanks.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
Seems like everytime I turn the fireplace on to generate heat, the breaker trips. I can turn on the part of the fireplace that only gives off the light show of flames but can't use it for heat.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it? It's winter now and would really like to use the fireplace for heat. Thanks.
i am on my second one ,first one shuts off all the time,forestriver send dealer a new one and works fine.forestriver wanted me to drill 3 inch hole in side of cabinet for more air and i said no.i tested the new one and old one on bench in shop.the old one just shut off after a while junk. new one ran for for 4 hours, i installed this one and is working fine.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Ours works ok, but rattles alot going down the road. Anybody else have this problem?
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
i am on my second one ,first one shuts off all the time,forestriver send dealer a new one and works fine.forestriver wanted me to drill 3 inch hole in side of cabinet for more air and i said no.i tested the new one and old one on bench in shop.the old one just shut off after a while junk. new one ran for for 4 hours, i installed this one and is working fine.
This is still my first one but I did have a technician come work on it. Whatever he did, it still isn't quite fixed. I guess the problem is that it does work but the RV doesn't like the fact fireplace is draining so much power. What's strange is that I have all other appliances, TV off and it still trips the breaker. IT doesn't make sense.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Lostdog - We had the rattle problem too when we test drove our 378 ts. The rattle was caused by the fireplace glass front, which the dealer fixed before we picked it up. Doesn't seem to rattle now at all.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Lostdog- We noticed this same rattle problem too when we drove our 378 GT home from the dealer. We removed the glass and put a strip of rubber tape around the edge of the glass. This tape is thin enough you won't see it after the glass is put back in. Did the Job!

The only problem I continue to have is main switch still trips when using the leveling jacks. I go by the owners book and use blocking
georgetownpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

Lostdog- We noticed this same rattle problem too when we drove our 378 GT home from the dealer. We removed the glass and put a strip of rubber tape around the edge of the glass. This tape is thin enough you won't see it after the glass is put back in. Did the Job!

Great idea....I will work on this during the weekend! Thanks......
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
Seems like every time I turn the fireplace on to generate heat, the breaker trips. I can turn on the part of the fireplace that only gives off the light show of flames but can't use it for heat.

I'm not familiar with the fireplace set but there's a couple things to check electrically. Is the fireplace of it's own dedicated breaker? If so what amp rating is the breaker? AMP rating for fireplace should be listed in the paperwork or at least available on line. Check to be sure proper breaker has been installed. You may want to replace the breaker, it may be bad! If your panel is the same as mine the breakers are Homeline. They are available at Home Depot or Lowes. Under $10 for a 15 or 20 AMP single pole breaker. I'd start there! Good luck and let us know what you find.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

That "fireplace" draws a LOT of AC amps.
(1500 watts = 12.5 amps on a 15 amp circuit)

What else is on it's circuit in your camper?

My camper has a microwave/fireplace switch to avoid using both at the same time. That would not only blow the circuit fuse but I could easily go over my 30 amp main.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Team

As many have said, it's probably the glass rattling.
I'm thinking clear silicone around the edges but tape is gonna work too
unless it releases when hot.

Also as mentioned, most RV breakers are just home style plug in breakers.
Get a replacement from any major home store or hardware store.
Get the SAME size.
Probably 15 amp.
It's possible you're original breaker is weak and tripping too soon.
As Lou said, the amps draw from a 1500 watt heater is close
but not over the rating on a 15 amp breaker.
It should not trip if everything else is off and the heater and wiring
are not faulty.

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote