Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Fireplace won't go on

Hello, we have a Georgetown 378 with the fireplace and it won't go on with the remote, does anyone know if there is an off / on switch someplace.
I checked the fuse panel in the bedroom and changed the batteries for the remote. It just won't come on. It is plugged in also.
thanks for any help you can give...
Joe & Jeannette
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #2

Dimplex Fireplace

I have a 378 and I believe all the fireplaces installed, are manufactured by Dimplex, and they have a web site @ Dimplex - Home Page.

In regards to other switches there is a switch and lite indicators behind a panel at the bottom of the fireplace. The panel cover is on a hinge at the bottom of the panel. Just grab the top , approx 2 - 3 inches from the bottom of the fireplace and pull out.

If this does not work for you, I suggest you go to the above web site they have manuals available for down load.

I hope this helps

Gary
mbtelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks Gary, one link lead to another and I found it at CFW Corp.
It's an HEF 26 FG model and there is a touch pad on the front of it at the bottom, but that doesn't work either, so I'm still looking as to why it don't work.
Thanks.......Joe
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

time to pull it out. I would suspect a burned or broken wire.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Recall notice for Dimplex remotes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this is related to your fireplace problem of not working, but there is a recall notice number 1.00-26 about the remote control receivers for Dimplex electric fireplace or electric stove units for various years. These are typically the model used by Forest River. The notice states that the receivers may overheat and cause a fire. Owners are advised to immediately unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet and the fireplace from the receiver. Owners should contact Dimplex at 1-888-346-7539 for replacement information.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

Is there an URL address for the recall? I couldn't find it on their site. Thanks, NorminN.B.
NorminN.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
CampeRooo

http://www.recall.dimplex.com/

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
I have a 2011 378 and the fireplace doesn't have a remote. Our last three rigs have had the dimplex fireplaces. One with a remote control, two without. One the one with the remote the fireplace was plugged into the remote receiver and that is then plugged into a wall outlet. You can unplug the fireplace from the remote receiver and then plug it directly into the wall. Then you will know if the receiver is bad or the whole fireplace is. You have to pull the fireplace to do this, but it is relatively simple to do. Our fireplacde is plugged directly into the wall outlet behind the fireplace. On our rig that had the remote. The remote quit working so dimplex sent me a new receiver, the dealer took care of getting this, but I never did put it back in. I just ran the fireplace manually from then on.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Just to post it in this thread, the fireplace in my 2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th wheel is model number 23EF010GRA made by TwinStar International (China). So far everything wrks just fine.
www.twinstarhome.com
Email: parts@twinstarhome.com
Phone: 866-661-1218
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #10

Jan. 07,2011
Hello, after a lot of research I've come to the conculsion that the company that makes this fireplaces for Forestriver in Canada (CFM ) is out of business and anyone with a model HEF26 FG is out of luck. I still don't know why it won't come on, but I did call Mr. Mike Burns in motorhome warranty and he directed me to Gregg in the parts dept. who has not e-mailed me or called me back. Mr. Burns seems to think it may be the circut board. Me I'm not so sure what it is, all I know is it don't work and there seems to me no place to resolve my problem. But just in case this happens to anyone else and they are able to get it fixed, please keep me in mind and let me know how you did it.
Thanks Very Much to everyone who has written.
Joe & Jeannette 2008 Georgetown XL with an unworking fireplace.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #11

Our fifth has a switch that chooses between having the fireplace on, or the microwave. I assume it is to prevent using both at the same time and overloading the electrical system. I don't know if yours would have it, but best to check before you rip it out looking for 'burned or broken' wires.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

As I see it at this point in time you have two choices.
First tear it out and install a new one of your choice from Home Depot or Lowes. Or, and personally this is my choice, tear it out and make more storage space.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

We use ours all the time (mostly for aux heat and and not ambiance). However I too would turn that space into a giant cabinet and buy a ceramic heater if it ever failed and I could not fix it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #14

We really like our fireplace, and would never 'tear it out'.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #15

Geez I dunno, having the fire place works great for us (no remote) but just running it keeps us nice and warm during the day so that the heater does not come on alot. The dogs really like to lay in front ..Yes we like ours as well.

Happy trails,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #16

I had a cardinal with same problem.we discovered the reflective plate below the firegrate and ambers was pressing down on the circuit box causing the fireplace to do nothing.there is a small square box on top of circuit board make sure this is pressed in should alleviate problem
herdrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDickson View Post
Jan. 07,2011
Hello, after a lot of research I've come to the conculsion that the company that makes this fireplaces for Forestriver in Canada (CFM ) is out of business and anyone with a model HEF26 FG is out of luck. I still don't know why it won't come on, but I did call Mr. Mike Burns in motorhome warranty and he directed me to Gregg in the parts dept. who has not e-mailed me or called me back. Mr. Burns seems to think it may be the circut board. Me I'm not so sure what it is, all I know is it don't work and there seems to me no place to resolve my problem. But just in case this happens to anyone else and they are able to get it fixed, please keep me in mind and let me know how you did it.
Thanks Very Much to everyone who has written.
Joe & Jeannette 2008 Georgetown XL with an unworking fireplace.
I've had fireplace problems and contacted Burns concerning my 2007 Georgetown. He recommended just going to Lowe's or somewhere and replacing the fireplace.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #18

fireplace

You might check the circuit board first before replacicg entire fireplace. My problem was simply the weight of grate pushing down on circuit board .You can simply remove a couple of screws holding the grate.
herdrn is offline   Reply With Quote