Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

First camping trip... Couple of questions!

Great experience! Love the 327DS!

First question:
Saturday morning, it got chilly and I turned the furnace on to take the chill off. Heat came out of the floor vents but the fan for the overhead vents ran too. Is this normal? Seemed odd to me. My last motorhome (Itasca) when I ran the furnace, warm air came out of only the floor vents and the AC fan never ran blowing air out of the overhead vents. I just had the mid coach thermostat repaired (in/op) and I'm wondering if they crossed wires somehow.

Second issue:
The camp site was water and electric, no sewer. After stowing everything at the camp site and going to leave, I stopped at the dump station there and dumped the Black tank, then the Grey tank. I was very patient and waited minutes for each tank to finish dumping. Everything seemed to go normally. Went to check the tanks level at the storage site after parking (no dump station there) and it says I'm still 1/3 full on the Grey and 2/3 full on the Black. ?!?!?!!? I've never had this happen before. Those tanks were 2' higher than the dump station inlet. How could they possibly not dump all the way???? Baffled. Now I have to go find another dump station and unload again.

Third question:
I'm finding little ball bearing on the bathroom floor. I'm assuming one of the rollers for the curved shower doors is shedding it's ball bearings. Sound about right?
Old 05-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

How were you sitting when you checked the level.
There is always a little left in the grey, IMHO.
For the black, odds are you have a piece of paper stuck on the side where the sensors are and are getting a false reading. I used to show 2/3 most of the time unless I ran A LOT of water in there and drove awhile to slosh it around, then dumped.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
How were you sitting when you checked the level.
There is always a little left in the grey, IMHO.
For the black, odds are you have a piece of paper stuck on the side where the sensors are and are getting a false reading. I used to show 2/3 most of the time unless I ran A LOT of water in there and drove awhile to slosh it around, then dumped.

At the storage lot, the back end is quite a bit low. But... when I was there before the trip, they all read Empty.

What I didn't mention before is, when I noticed back in storage that the levels were still 1/3 and 2/3 full, I went out and uncapped the outlet and cracked open the GREY valve and grey water came pouring out. I just cannot understand how this is possible from what I did at the dump station. Both tanks should have been completely empty. Still baffled.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Set thermostat to auto.

Waste tank sensors are known to be very inaccurate.

Could be the rollers. someone did post about the door not moving in their unit but I do not recall who it was.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Regarding the heat set your fan to auto and ac will not come on with the furnace. I have not found that the you can depend on the indicator for the tanks on any rv we have owned. If this is a new unit I would put it on the list for the dealer to fix.
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

You need to get a clear hose fitting so you can see what's coming out of the tank and use the black tank flush to make sure all the stuff is out and water running clear.....or it may be the 'hole' they cut out for the toilet is still in the tank, blocking the drain. If it is then let the dealer remove it.
Enjoy your adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the tank sensor can be a lot like politicians...they LIE!! It's very common. (The do have aftermarket sensors that are supposed to be better but who wants to mess around with tanks?? eeeeck)

Did you fill the black tank as much as possible before flushing? This is always a good idea to get a good flush and, when we are within 12-hours of leaving, we'll run the water in the toilet a long time with each use to get it full.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

Hey Folks!

Remind me please... is the Auto setting set in the Fan mode on the Dometic thermostat? At 5:00am, I wasn't even thinking about the Auto setting... I just wanted the chill to go away.

On the tank dump... I cannot believe they didn't totally drain with all the time I gave it. Re: the clear connector... I have one. Other than the hole cut remainder blocking the hole, what other reason could there be for the tanks to not drain? Like I said, I've never had that happen before on the previous coach. Weird.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #9

Select the Fan, and move the + - until the display says AU. once set you can select the appropriate climate control device. if it is the furnace, only the furnace will blow.

For AC, Fan, and Heat Strips the ceiling fans will blow.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Hey Folks!

Remind me please... is the Auto setting set in the Fan mode on the Dometic thermostat? At 5:00am, I wasn't even thinking about the Auto setting... I just wanted the chill to go away.

On the tank dump... I cannot believe they didn't totally drain with all the time I gave it. Re: the clear connector... I have one. Other than the hole cut remainder blocking the hole, what other reason could there be for the tanks to not drain? Like I said, I've never had that happen before on the previous coach. Weird.
The fan setting is the Domestic thermostat. I had the same problem the first time I used the furnace. I also asked about it on this forum. I still think that your your tanks are empty.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

As far as the tank flush, I usually fill my black tank using the BT Flush before I flush it to make sure there is enough water to give it a good flush.

I also flush the grey tank, close the valve, and open it again...I often get a second "whoosh" of water with the second pull of the valve.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Hey Folks!

The fan setting is on the Domestic thermostat. I had the same problem the first time I used the furnace. I also asked about it on this forum. I still think that your tanks are empty.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 05-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #13

If water came flowing out when you drained both tanks it's more likely just the sensors getting a little dirty and throwing off the readings.

There's some good write-ups here on what's called the "Geo Method" for keeping the tanks clean and draining well. Might we worth a look.

Also, Try pumping a little water back in the tanks just after you empty. The agitation while you're driving might help clean things up a bit.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #14
WDK

Do you have the black tank wash system installed....I know it's harder at a dump station as people are usually waiting....but I back wash and fill and flush twice and usually get my sensors to read zero.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Ambassador

Flush and clean your tanks.

Is it possible in your hurry to leave that you forgot to flush your tanks of any remaining debris that might be sitting on the sensor causing it to read improperly. Did you use fast dissolving toilet paper? Did you wash grease down your sink drain? Maybe you just need to flush the tanks. Some say dishwashing detergent works great to clean your tanks... anyway just a thought, your post wasn't the most thorough post and description of a problem. But you did not mention flushing the tanks. Just because they are empty doesn't mean they are clean and ready to use again.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

First, as others have said the sensors are completely unreliable. As long as something is making an electrical connection between the probes then it lights up. Could be a short, toilet paper, sludge, slime, etc...

However it sounds like you did also get some water from the grey tank at the storage yard. I find I'll always get a little, as the 'wetness' on the side of the tanks works it's way down into the drain pipe after bouncing it's way home. If it's a lot, then chances are the dump station wasn't level. The really good dump stations tilt your whole rig towards the drain, the ok ones are levelish, and the bad ones have sunken and now tilt your rig away from the drain. At those ones, if you notice it and you have the luxury of time, you'll want to throw a board or two under the passenger side to tilt your rig towards the drain. Otherwise, just dump what you can and plan to either dump again later or leave it for the next camping trip (if not too far away).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #17

Okay, just spoke to my buddy at the dealership. He said that I was used to the Itasca EXTERNAL tank sensors that instantly read the correct tank fill quantity. The FR GT sensors are INTERNAL and will read incorrectly while still wet for quite some time until they dry off. He thinks that since I heard the rush of tank volume going down the sewer line and that I waited in between tanks, that all is well and its just the INTERNAL tank sensors staying wet and holding the last reading.

I did not flush because there was a long waiting line behind me of folks wanting to dump and get going. I didn't want to be "one of those guys" that takes forever. I'm going to see if the Cabela's up the road from me has a dump station and if so, what I'll do is hook up and rinse the tanks.

He also confirmed that I just need to set the FAN to AUTO for the T-stat.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #18

Just to confirm... I went to the motorhome and took a bright flashlight and looked down the toilet with the pedal depressed.... Empty but wet inside.

Best answer is, it's the internal tank sensors being very slow to dry off and read correctly.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #19

I have noticed many "dump stations" are not level and in fact many sloipe the wrong way for my tanks. FR does provide some slop[e to the installed tank but not a lot. My MH sits slightly rear high on a level srface and my tanks are sloped to the back so even on a level surface I do not drain completely. I sometimes drop the front jacks at the dump station to provide a better slope for a better empty. Someting to watch for.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #20

Many times for what ever reason the lay out on the dump station puts you leaning to curb side and so you do not get a full dump. Our traveling mate insists that he always throws a block or two under the curb side wheels to be sure his class A gets EMPTY. I have a long drain hose so I do not get as close if it looks high on the dump side.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping