Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

First Trip Out With Our 351DS

Well we picked up our unit on thursday and left for a trip within a couple of hours and racked up about 1200 miles. Overall we are very pleased except for a few minor things that we found that we missed in the PDI but it is going back to the dealer today anyway and they can take care of them.

The handling on the highway was as I expected and I resisted the urge to do any handling fixes prior to the first trip out. I definitely "puckered up" when some for the transport trucks passed by or I was passing them. I was not my first experience driving a large vehicle. We have rented class C RVs before and I drove a truck while in university.

Mileage was right around 10 MPG which is a bit better that than I expected.

End of the day I see the need for sway bars as our trip in the summer will have us gone for a month. By the end of our trip this weekend there was more comfort in how the unit handled and I knew what to expect.

Thanks again for everyone and the tips on this forum.

Hopefully meet a few of you at some of the FROG rallies.

M
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Hi and glad to hear you headed right out for your first journey.
For your first trip with 1,200 miles is noteworthy as many only drive a few hundred the most.

You mention you need sway bars.
You already have them but if you are handy you can do the minor adjustment fix yourself. It is moving the sway bar pivot points to the holes closer to the axles. This has done wonders for everyone.
Here is a link to the http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...fix-62663.html

I also believe everyone need to check the tire pressure as it is stated on the sticker located behind drivers seat on the wall. If your tire pressure isn't correct you will notice in steering as well as premature wear.

Now if the front tires are correct did you notice how easy or hard it was to maintain a straight line down the highway? If it was difficult to maintain a straight line with minimal wind running 60-65 mph I would suggest to contact Forest River and ask them to authorize a frontend alignment by a local Ford Commercial truck dealer.
These bare chassis alignment changes when FR add the box on top. And you need to do this ASAP because FR won't pay if you wait too long.

Enjoy your future adventures and your new Georgetown
Have Fun!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Glad everything went well on your first trip.
I think Iggy gave you the best advice on checking your tire pressure and doing the cheap handling fix. Ours left the dealer with only 72lbs of air verses the 92lbs recommended on the plaque by the drivers seat. I have done these, as well as the front end alignment, and have virtually no push or sway from passing trucks. Having it loaded with more weight helps also. On ours it seems that the more weight I have the better it rides and handles. As for 10 mpg that is great. I usually run between 61/2 to 7 but that's what both my previous MH's got so I don't worry about it.
Enjoy your new toy! Be Safe.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote