Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

First trip to Mount Rushmore

I am planning a trip to Missouri to see the in-laws and leaving there for Mount Rushmore. I have 351 ds I would to here from someone that has made the trip before. How difficult is it, am I better off renting a car and driving from MO (12 hr drive) or taking the motorhome the there. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. I plan on going the second week of June.
ndb767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

It's great to go see, but it is a tourist trap. Lots of good camp grounds around. we've camped there several time and always enjoyed the trip. I would recommend Custer State Park, several camp grounds and close to Mt. Rushmore, and several other sites. If you take a car? There's lot of motels in the area also.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
There is a rumble building on the horizon in anticipation of the 75th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™. August 3 – 9, 2015 has the potential to be one of the greatest and perhaps largest gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts of all time. The time is drawing near quickly that we will be right smack dab in the middle of Main Street madness, celebrating the 75th year of the Sturgis Rally.
The number I have seen is around 1,000,000 people expected this year.
I suggest you go before or after.

Rooms in the area will be hard to come by, line will likely be long.

At any rate go see the Monument I thought it was great.
But do go and see Crazy Horse and plan on spending some time there.
Deadwood, Mount Moriah cemetery lots of history and a great view if you hike to the top.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Using a motor home will be OK except driving The Needles road and 16A (Iron Mountian rd) south out of Keystone. They both have small tunnels and switchbacks that the biggest is a pickup to make it thru.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
WFD

OP mentioned going in 2nd week of June, so they will be ahead of the big rush...good time to go.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

I came, I saw, I left an hour later. I enjoyed the Badlands NP and Devils Tower way more.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Just don't view the Presidents from the main promanade. Take the short hike to the base of the mountain, and stop at the exhibit building that explains the construction, which was very interesting. One thing that I noticed was, all the visitors spoke english. Which, as those who have frequented the National Parks/ Monuments sites in the Summer season especially, is't common. But, then it dawned on me, why would they make this site one of their stops. It felt very patriot to see so many American enjoying such a grand monument. Deadwood is the place where the term "dead mans hand" of aces and eights was born, and their is the saloon that puts on a nice recreation for the tourists if your interested. South Dakota is gorgeous as well. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
MrT

We we there in 1999 (just after the remodel, I think) and are going again this September. Can be very busy as others have said. I worked with a woman who lived in Rapid City (Rapid to her), and she said the local say "We're going out to the Heads".

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

If you can, watch the lighting ceremony at sundown. It is a moving, patriotic, event.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb767 View Post
I am planning a trip to Missouri to see the in-laws and leaving there for Mount Rushmore. I have 351 ds I would to here from someone that has made the trip before. How difficult is it, am I better off renting a car and driving from MO (12 hr drive) or taking the motorhome the there. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me. I plan on going the second week of June.
It’s an easy drive to the Mount Rushmore area from MO so by all means take the motorhome. Are you bringing a toad? If not, you could stop off in Rapid City, SD and rent one there to use for touring the area. A drive along the Needles highway is a must do in my opinion and not possible in a motorhome.

Seen in the gift shop at Mount Rushmore.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #11

We went there in 1977 and again two years ago.A must see for anyone.You must go to Crazy Horse also.We spent over half a day there and had been there before too.I would really hate to drive a MH up there though.Parking is really not that great.If you don't have a toad,I'd stay in Rapid City and rent one.To much to see and it will make getting around much easier.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Retired Ford Tech

Mt Rushmore

I assume you are new to all this. If your serious about seeing the country, I would purchase a Passport America Membership. They have a special going now and it's 179.00 for 5 years and another 6 months free.
The reason for the sales pitch is we stayed at Heartland RV Park in Hermosa SD. it's near all the area attractions, and with the Passport America you save 50%.
We stayed there in June 2013 and it's a great place with friendly people.
The Passport America rates are 15.00 to 25.00 a day and good for an unlimited stay. Passport America has participating campground all over the country. It's a Great deal.
Have Fun
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It’s an easy drive to the Mount Rushmore area from MO so by all means take the motorhome. Are you bringing a toad? If not, you could stop off in Rapid City, SD and rent one there to use for touring the area. A drive along the Needles highway is a must do in my opinion and not possible in a motorhome.

Seen in the gift shop at Mount Rushmore.
I had seen that shirt as well but was puzzled. Wasn't sure of the message, if any. The presidents selected for the monument, don't represent the founding fathers, the selection was for a different reason. As far as the Chiefs, maybe thats what the intent was, but still confusing to me.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #14

X2 on passport America club. We went last year, a few weeks before biker rally. Stayed at No Name City rv park. They were doing a lot of landscaping.no shade but it was cool. Take a toad, you end up doing a lot of driving otherwise, but the place was nice. 1/2 price all eight days we were there. I-29 north to Sioux Falls, I90- west to sturgiss. Stayed one night in Mitchell about 1/2 way. Had plenty of time to see Corn Palace. R. & R. Campground, 1/2 price. Enjoy yourselves and safe driving.
buddy300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

We went three years ago and it was a great trip. You can go to my profile and see a photo albumn. The wildlife loop drive is a must if you go about two hours before sunset. If you do camp in Custer State Park--the buffalo roam free and may come by for a visit!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

hope to go there next year
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #17

Was there two years ago. Before leaving the Rushmore parking area, check with the ranger and they will radio ahead to a gated road offsite that will allow access to the designers house. There is a picture window and telescope to look at the mountain. Story is the designer took messurements daily and monitored the construction from there. No cost, took an extra 45 minutes to get access, really neat to see. There is a similar setup at Crazy Horse in the museum area.
Also if you drive the mountain drive, as you go through the tunnels, each tunnel enterance frames Mt Rushmore. The trees are kept clear cut to provide the view. I was told as part as the land acquit ion, the tunnels had to be constructed to provide the view. There are three tunnels if I remember correctly. Definely need a TV or rental to do the drive. Saw a Class C gum up the works backing and pulling forward to get through parked cars and the tight turns. There are several wooden bridges there as well, may be weight restrictions.
Other things we saw in the week we stayed there, Elsworth AFB, home of the SR17, blackbird at the museum along with a lot of Cold War missile displays, Several other aircraft of WWII area. Center of the United States at Belle Fouche, SD. Stop by Walls Drug Store on the way in, vets get free coffee and a dounut! And lastly, try the buffalo ribs in the Rapid City Area, unbelievably good!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #18

A Must

We took a trip there 2 years ago just before the Sturgis hoopla.... loved it and would do it again! I have to say if you drive your RV and don't tow a small car you will miss out!

We stayed at a great campground "Rush no More"... and followed their directions to the site (thank god)! Iron Mountain Road is an amazing must do experience and you need a car to do it.

I wasn't too interested in Mount Rushmore before the trip... did the dusk spectacular and must admit it was extremely patriotic and moving (even for my daughter's - 10 and 12 at the time)!

We actually moved on to Yellowstone from there... the entire trip was wonderful! we only had 2 wks for the trip from Michigan to Wyoming - wish we'd had more! South Dakota is beautiful and soo much to see!
just4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #19

I've been there twice in the 70's, we're going this year, arriving just after the Sturgis Rally. My husband has never been.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #20

thank you for all your replies, sounds like Driving the Rv is a must for the trip. I will take everyones advice though and rent a car while I am there. Is it okay to drive the rv to the monument or should I set up camp and drive the rental there? sounds like the monument is going to take a small amount of time to see (especially with my boys) and I will defiantly go see the crazy horse monument. I am not sure if I need to start another topic but I noticed that I seem to be the only one without a toad. Any suggestions on the cheapest toad to get and is it best to tow on all four or on a dolly. Is it true that if you are towing a vehicle is it correct that you cannot back up at all with the car attached.
ndb767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount