Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #21

Is there anything wrong with running the generator full time while driving? We usually do this because of running the front A/C unit or heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
Is there anything wrong with running the generator full time while driving? We usually do this because of running the front A/C unit or heat.

No problem running generator while driving.
We only run the front unit when driving thru Palm Springs in the summer.
115 degrees outside.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #23

Love that unit

First off enjoy. Second thing enjoy.

Couple of suggestions beyond the others. After you inflated the tires to correct PSIs and while you're having the front end alignment done have the Ford dealer do the cheap handling fix (CHF). If you aren't sure what that is look here in the forum. Between the tire inflation and the CHF easy driving!!!

Then go to the top of your list and perform First and Second again.

PS: If I hadn't needed the bunks - the 378 was MY choice.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #24

I had trouble running my refrigerator on the inverter and the first problem was finding the inverter. It is under the bottom of the little closet in the toilet room. Two screws hold the carpet covered bottom in place. There is a GFCI outlet in there for the inverter and it had tripped. No problems after that though.
We had the front end alignment and FR will reimburse up to 250.00 and I have also done the cheap handling fix. Made a big difference in handling.
Ours is a 2013 378XL and we love it!
Have a great trip!
Buster and Sandra
Buster Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #25

Trip to Daytona. Plan your route and make Florida RESERVATIONS. Generally snowbirds are in central FL and south coasts. HOWEVER, space is at a PREMIUM for Daytona 500 AND 2 weeks later is BIKE WEEK! Many people have that Daytona area
reserved year to year. You CANNOT stay at Walmart lots down there.
Been there many times during that period. I am fortunate to have a friend with property near the track and we were always able to park our RV there. We went to Bike Week 12 years in a row! Daytona 500, four times. We lived in Jacksonville. Trust me, book in advance, NOW. You may already too late to find anything. Good luck...
You will need it.

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #26

Daytona

I should be OK. I have had my spot paid for now for months at Daytona 500. Looking forward to race, it should be a lot of fun.
Cbretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #27

Sounds like you have it covered! Enjoy. We always visit BOB EVANS restuarant directly across from the track. Cross at a light! Also Cracker Barrel and others are on the west end of the track ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE STREET! I share this because you stated no tow vehicle. If we did not have grandkids here in Atlanta, we would have retired in Ormond Beach or St Augustine! Love going there.

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #28

Do the Ford dealer know about the CHF? My RV dealer didn't know what it was..... Or will I have to print out the info from the forum and give it to them?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #29

Experience from my dealer was "HUH?". Didn't know what I was talking about. I walked them through what I was talking about and then they understood the why. Changing the position off the torsion bar rods doesn't void the warranty but the dealer did look at me and disavow anything that might happen. Well that was 3500 miles ago and the only thing I can say is, I wish my 351 would have come that way. The only mechanical change is a stiffening of the torsion bars thus slowing down the sway. Just to restate: when Ford gave this unit to Forest River it was stripped down. Forest River built a house on the chassis and it weighs a LOT more than when it came from assembly line. So what the CHF does is move the bolts to the other hole and thus stiffens the ride. Not a huge mechanical change but a HUGE handling change.

With the correct tire inflation and CHF - 65-70 mph on the interstate is easy peasy.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #30

Bigben - how did you find a Ford dealer capable of servicing your MH? We have been looking, but even our RV dealer hasn't been much help.

Thanks!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #31

I found it by having the discussion with Forest River that my RV needed alignment. My RV dealer found the Ford dealer for me. Forest River will refer you to a garage that will perform the alignment. While it is being aligned have the service tech move the torsion bars.

Try:

Northside Trucks and Equipment
6221 Northeast Columbia Boulevard
Portland, OR 97218
Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Bigben - how did you find a Ford dealer capable of servicing your MH? We have been looking, but even our RV dealer hasn't been much help.

Thanks!
Garren
I would look around for a Ford Dealer that takes care of big Ford trucks.
I have a local Ford truck sales and maintenance dealer that does take care of me. I mean dump trucks size and bigger maintenance.
Front end alignment, oil changes, Brake Power Flush, Radiator flush as well as replace me AC compressor when it failed.
Good luck
Old 01-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post

Thanks!
Garren

Have you called your local Ford dealer and asked who is the closest dealer that can take care of Ford F-53 chassis motorhomes?

Here you go. They do Big trucks and also service motorhomes on their webpage.

Northside Ford - Truck Headquarters
6221 NE Columbia Blvd
Portland, OR 97218

Hours:
Mon - Fri:7:00am - Midnight
Saturday:8:00am - 4:30pm
Sunday:Closed
Old 01-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #34

Thanks Iggy and Bigben! It's not that close, but at least it's local. The dealer hasn't been that helpful. There might be another one a bit south that is closer to where we store it, but at least I know of one now!

This forum is great!
Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #35

I took delivery of my new 2015 Georgetown 350XL a couple months ago and since it is my first RV I had spent a few weeks driving it local. Last weekend my wife and I took our kids for a small road trip to Red Rock Canyon State Park in Oklahoma and driving west on I40 I got beat up with the crosswinds. It was definitely a wild ride, luckily coming back was smooth.

I was thinking of adding the Blue Ox true center for steering, the tiger trak for the sway as well has checking with my Ford dealer about doing to cheap handling fix and an alignment on my chassis as you guys suggest. I have had great help on these FR message boards and wanted your advice/suggestions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Christian

P.S. Our first big family trip will be to San Antonio and Austin, TX in March so I would like to get the handling stuff resolved before we go. We all love the motorhome and we are just beginning the start of many travel adventures. Next Christmas we will be taking 2 weeks and going from Oklahoma to the Key West via New Orleans, Orlando, etc.
cswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #36

For my 360XL, alignment, CHF, and rear track bar. Need to weight it and adjust the air pressure to specs, mine dropped to 85psi from 100psi. Then it was fine. Also after 2000 mi the tires must wear in a bit because it has gotten better.
Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #37

Christian, you can definitely add the Blue Ox. Lots of good feedback. But - first I'd add the CHF and make sure I had correct tire pressure. My tire chart in my 351 called for 92 PSI. When I picked my new RV up it had 80 psi. Not sure how long you've been RVing but I'd also advise 3 things (listed in order of importance IMO):

1. Progressive Industries HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System (we stalled the built in model). Without this your electronics are subject to unconditioned power). Look around you find this for under $300.

2. On board air compressor. If you've ever chased around to find a compressor with a worn out nozzle you'll gladly spend $100-$125 for this. This is not a convenience item, one of the most important systems in your RV is where the rubber meets the road - take care of it.

3. Along with the air compressor a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Read the stories of RVers that have had blow outs. While the TPMS won't prevent tire issues it will tell you about them - before they are blowouts as a rule.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #38

Bigben -
Which air compressor did you end up getting? I'm trying to find one that is compact and goes over 100 psi, would love your experience!

Have the EMS and bought the TPMS (to be installed once we get the tire stems extended....)

Always something to work on I think!!!

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #39

I was able to snag a 150psi pancake compressor at harbor freight when it was on sale for $99 less a $25 coupon. Yes it may have been built in China, but works great. Has 6 gal capacity and does the job fine. I need 105# in my GT378.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #40

First trip with our new 378xl

I purchased a craftsman on Amazon for 108.00 including freight. It is not a pancake design and sit upright. The footprint is 12 inches x 7 inches
Very compact and easy to store
150 psi

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
378xl