Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #1

Flat towing question

I am getting my base plate installed today on my Dodge Dakota and will be towing it with the Blue Ox Aladin tow bars. My question is whether the use of a Brake Buddy or similar brake assistance is necessary? A good idea? Not necessary?

Thanks,

Eric
EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2

Eric. Your Dodge weights at least 3400 lbs. Most states require a brake of anything over 2500 lbs. That said, we have the Roadmaster even brake. A little pricy, but it works with no spcial attachments. It fits in front of the drivers seat and all in one componant like the brake buddy. The even brake has a receiver that mounts in the RV that tells you the condition that the brake is in. It even tells you when the brake is being applied in the towed car. And then goes back to normal. its worth the extra money.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

what they dont tell you is that you have power brakes that only work when vehicle is running...that brake buddy does min. to stop a vehicle..wasted money..... drive your vehicle , turn it off and see how hard and how much pressure is needed to stop.
ravenmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenmike View Post
what they dont tell you is that you have power brakes that only work when vehicle is running...that brake buddy does min. to stop a vehicle..wasted money..... drive your vehicle , turn it off and see how hard and how much pressure is needed to stop.
Yes all vehicles have power brakes, but it is not true that they don't work with the engine off. It just takes much more pressure on the pedal. The supplemental braking systems like Brake Buddy are made to apply the needed pressure to the pedal to apply the brakes with the engine off.

It is NOT wasted money. 1000s of RVrs use these systems all the time and for good reason.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #5

NWJeeper is right, systems like brake buddy and similar units are designed to work with vacuum assisted power brake units and apply the extra pressure needed to overcome the "hard Pedal" when there is no vacuum assist. These units, however, will NOT work with vehicles that have the newer Hydro-boost power assist (electric boost). That I was told directly from the Brake Buddy Tech support. They will cause the toad to go into a skid and lock up the brakes, if your toad has the hydro-boost system you have to go with a system like the Unified Tow Brake by US Gear or a similar type of system. Been there, done that, just so you know.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

When we first starting RVing years ago we didn't use a Brake Buddy. Coming from flat lands didn't think I needed one. On our first trip coming down our first grade I knew I had made a big mistake. Found a campground, called Brake Buddy office in Colorado and waited at the CG until it came in.

By all mean get something. Even when we had a big 40' pusher we still used it.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

Ended up getting the Brake Buddy Vantage, thanks for the advice on this forum.
EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote