Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #1

Ford AC Replacement

My previous thread on if anyone has had any success with Ford stepping up and helping out with the known AC compressor issues from around 2010 etc. didn't get many responses. So, I'm moving forward with getting it done anyways. Most truck repair shops in the Buffalo, NY area want somewhere between $900-$1100 for the job. Most quotes are around $566-$600 for the compressor and $50-$100 for the receiver/dryer. Looking up these parts online, I've found compressors from $138 for a UAC compressor, $216 for a Four Seasons unit, $195 Advanced AC (with one year warranty, which is the one I'm leaning too) and $301 for a Ford Motorcraft, which I know Ford doesn't make. Dryers range from $9-$16! Now I'm looking at shops that will do the repair for labor only, waiting for a call from my auto shop as I type. Any opinion out there on the different brands of compressors? Anything else I should look out for? All responses are as usual greatly appreciated!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Did your in dash A/C pack it in completely?

I’ve never figured the factory unit was as strong as it should be, but mine still puts out colder air but not SUPER COLD.

To help things out for when we’re driving in really warm conditions, I installed an 1 1/4” curtain rod with floor to ceiling curtains which close right behind both the pilot and co-pilot sears. When not needed, they fold up tight and remain against the wall right behind/beside the pilot seat. This curtain can also be used to minimize the cockpit for driving in colder weather too if needed.

I only use the mirrors for side and rear visibility so I don’t care if it blocks your rearward vision.

Just a thought.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Yeah dash AC totally gone. Since I've had the rig, 2012, I have had it checked out at the shop that does my yearly safety inspection and chassis lube three times. First time they tightened the compressor bolts, re-charged the system and said it was fine. Second time they said it was low on Freon, re-charged again, and said when they did a dye test they found no leaks! I asked where did the Freon go and they told me they didn't know but no leaks showed up. Third check out was last August. This time same shop told me it was just shot. So hear I am scoping the internet for compressor prices and calling mechanics to see who will do the work for just the labor. I'm not to interested in letting some shop make a 4 to 5 times mark up on parts to do the same thing I will do, order over the internet or toll free phone number.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, replacement