Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2023, 08:17 AM   #1

Ford F53 Class A Motorhome v8 real world fuel mileage

I have a few trips and just completed a 2700 mile trip on our new 2023 Georgetown GT 7 36d7 Gas Class A motorhome.
One thing I noticed is that fuel mileage seem to increase noticeably around 3000 miles. This most recent trip was 2791.8 miles with 370.44 gallons used. Mileage is hand calculated. I can say the dash mpg monitor is fairly accurate compared to others I have been around.
This is towing my Jeep Wrangler and fully loaded with gear, food, full propane, nearly full fuel tank ( maybe add 70-90 lbs for fuel), 2/3 tank of freshwater and more or less empty gray and black water tanks.
Scale weight is 28020 lbs.
7.54 miles per gallon average for the entire trip. From a low of 6.75 mpg in very mountainous terrain to 7.97 mpg in better conditions. No real headwinds, and I would say I had some favorable tailwinds a good bit of the time. Very little generator use. I run 65-67 on interstates, 68-69 when needed so not to hold up traffic. 62-63 on more rural roads.
On the same exact trip last year my 2014 Berkshire 400 QL Diesel Pusher got 8.75 mpg average. Same Jeep in tow, but of course more weight at about 35K total. With average diesel prices quite a bit higher than 87 octane gasoline, plus having to pay for DEF fluid, this 7.3 V8 costs less per mile to drive. If diesel comes down to gasoline prices....that will change but I still am very happy I went to gas on this coach. There is a hill on I-79 where the Berkshire would top at 42 mph. This 36d7 topped the same hill at 45 mph! I am surprised at the power the gas coach has. I can pull out to pass easier with it, it does not downshift much on hills. It does make more noise in the cab of course, but I have spent several hundred dollars and lots of time to quiet the cab. Now you have to listen closely to hear the engine at 65-70 cruise. Wind noise is much louder than engine. Even when downshifting on hills you don't really have to raise your voice to talk. When the engine fan clutch kicks in...it is rather loud but that is not too often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1678.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	287819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1680.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	287820  
Old 05-29-2023, 01:48 PM   #2

Ford F53 Class A Motorhome v8 real world fuel mileage

We are pleased with the performance of the V8. Plenty of power and a little better fuel economy than our V10Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	287858
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:07 PM   #3
TD7

I have a 23 GT7 36d7 in the mountains of PA pulling a 23 Ford ranger. Seeing 6.5 mpg on gauge, running 63-70 mph.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD7 View Post
I have a 23 GT7 36d7 in the mountains of PA pulling a 23 Ford ranger. Seeing 6.5 mpg on gauge, running 63-70 mph.
The tank I listed at 6.75 mpg was from a fill up in eastern Kentucky then over to Charleston WV and north up I-79 to Buckhannon. Then back down the mountains toward Wytheville VA. Most all of this is in the heart of the mountains. I was running over 65 mph much of this tank.
So, like I mentioned, the dash readouts on the new F 53 seem fairly accurate.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby
The tank I listed at 6.75 mpg was from a fill up in eastern Kentucky then over to Charleston WV and north up I-79 to Buckhannon. Then back down the mountains toward Wytheville VA. Most all of this is in the heart of the mountains. I was running over 65 mph much of this tank.

So, like I mentioned, the dash readouts on the new F 53 seem fairly accurate.
This is my record mileage with our V10. We left Santee, SC going to Pigeon Forge, TN on an interstate, up and down through the mountains. We do run the generator while driving to provide A/C for the dog but that's only about 1/2 gallon per hour so it knocks a few tenths of a gallon off the calculated mileage.

Yeah, we could almost see the fuel gauge dropping in real-time.

We plan for 6 MPG and that trip "exceeded expectations"...

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5 MPG.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	287921  
Old 05-30-2023, 08:06 AM   #6

Ray, 3.5 mpg would scare me! But I have learned that one tank can be off a bit. Depends on how much fuel is in the tank after fill ups. That can vary depending on how level the coach is for instance.
I filled up with 93 octane in Wytheville ( all they had at the moment ). Was seeing upper 8 mpg range for much of that tank on the dash readout. There were some mountain driving on that tank too, ended up at 7.98 mpg on that tank. I am sure it does better on premium. Engine seemed quieter and smoother on it. But no way it is worth the extra money. Might try a tank again on flat ground and see what I can get!
I do wonder if the GT 7 with the very rounded front cap isn't a bit more aerodynamic that other coaches. Has to have less drag, but no real way to prove it.
Bottom line is that I hoped to average 7 mpg when I bought the GT 7. It has exceeded that!
Old 05-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby
Ray, 3.5 mpg would scare me! But I have learned that one tank can be off a bit. Depends on how much fuel is in the tank after fill ups.
Yeah, no kidding. That stretch of I-40 also has very few gas stations off it. As we were down to 3/8ths of a tank (having filled the tank right before we arrived at Santee) we saw an upcoming Love's on their app. From the satellite view it looked great. Reality was different. We came within inches of needing to disconnect the car so we could back up to get out of that that place. As it was, I had to stand outside to block parking spots in front of their store. People were very understanding, fortunately.

We've never had that low a mileage before or since. Lesson Learned.

Ray
Old 06-18-2023, 06:44 PM   #8

Our first trip with our 2022 G7 was from Virginia to Orlando and we averaged 8.8mpg @ 65
2k05GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, ford, fuel, mileage, motor, motorhome