Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyda
Can’t most truck repair shops do warranty work for ford chassis
No. See: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos...ork-performed/

Where can I get warranty work done for my Ford?

Warranty repair work must be completed at an authorized Ford Dealer.

Certain warranty repairs require special training so not all Ford dealers are authorized to perform all warranty repairs. This means that depending on the warranty repair needed, your vehicle may need to be taken to a specialized Ford Dealer.

Ray
Old 09-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #22

Thanks for the updated information. I will keep you posted as I move forward.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
A Good Way To See The Country!
cbell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
How to find a Ford dealer that may be able to work on your motorhome:

Note that multiple people have said that some dealers listed with Ford as working on Class A's told them they do not.

Good luck,

Ray
Yes, that's what I am finding, I would say 1/2 of the dealers on the list that I searched do not work on Class A motorhomes. I am forced to drive over 200 miles to to get an appointment a month out. very disappointed.
2k05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:14 PM   #24
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k05GT
Yes, that's what I am finding, I would say 1/2 of the dealers on the list that I searched do not work on Class A motorhomes. I am forced to drive over 200 miles to to get an appointment a month out. very disappointed.

If you're in an area where there are multiple motorhome dealerships call a few up and ask who they use for chassis work. Heck, if that Camping World is local, so them who they use for warranty work. Ford requires one of their dealerships perform warranty work in order for it to be no cost.

We have a local truck shop that does a lot of motorhome work. It could be a lot cheaper overall for you to have someone like that look at the A/C problem because you'll not be burning so much gas.

A/C is not difficult. Maybe even a local auto parts store can help you out with a recommendation.

Ray
Old 09-19-2022, 11:15 PM   #25

Thanks for the followup. I am having problems with the ABS brake system and the closest Ford dealer that will work on my motorhome is one hour and 35 minutes. I think I live in the wrong area.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 09-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #26
NXR

Probably this because it's happening to a lot of people. The tone rings were damaged when originally installed:

February 18, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SSM 50514
Components: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

NHTSA ID Number: 10208152

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 50514

Summary

Some 2020-2022 F-53 Motorhome Chassis/F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis vehicles may exhibit an illuminated anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C0037 and/or C0038. This may be due to a damaged rear wheel speed sensor (WSS) ring. Minimal damage may cause DTCs and can be difficult to detect during visual inspection. If replacement is required, closely inspect the service part to ensure no damage is present and follow Workshop Manual, Section 206-09 to replace. Removal of the ABS sensor is required to avoid damage to a new ring when servicing. Use a suitable jack to aid with hub/rotor install on the axle to prevent ring damage during assembly. Some backorders may be experienced when ordering the ring. Submit a customer online parts inquiry system (COPIS) vehicle off road (VOR) ticket is recommended to prioritize orders.

Before driving on that trip to the Ford dealer I'd strongly recommend buying an OBDII code reader and see if you have the code(s) in the PDF below. If so, TELL the dealer you have those codes and ask if they have the parts in stock to replace the tone rings. People have been waiting months for those to get in stock.

Otherwise you'll drive 100 miles, they'll put a code reader on, tell you they'll order the parts, and to come back when they call.

There's a slight chance they may order the parts for you without seeing the codes themselves. If not, ask them if they could contact a Ford dealer local to you just to read the codes to avoid spending $100 in gas for each trip. The worst they can do is say "No."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...08152-0001.pdf

I keep a ScanGauge II installed in the motorhome all the time. It plugs into the OBDII jack by the driver's knee on our V10. I Velcro'd the ScanGauge to the bottom center of the dash. I coiled the excess wire and tucked it up behind the dash. I used a bread bag twistie to keep the coil of excess wire in place. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the dash, the lip, ran the twistie through the hole and around the coiled up wire.

The ScanGauge II acts as a backup set of gauges except with precision and can read a whole lot more engine parameters than you have gauges for, can read OBDII codes, and can clear codes. I recently used it for a Check Engine Light on my wife's SUV.

I bought mine at a local auto parts store for $130 three years ago. Looks like they're $160 on Amazon now: https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Aut...=20MKEXH7A06P6

Good luck,

Ray
Old 09-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #27

Thank you that is needed information. I will pass this on to the dealer.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 09-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If you're in an area where there are multiple motorhome dealerships call a few up and ask who they use for chassis work. Heck, if that Camping World is local, so them who they use for warranty work. Ford requires one of their dealerships perform warranty work in order for it to be no cost.

We have a local truck shop that does a lot of motorhome work. It could be a lot cheaper overall for you to have someone like that look at the A/C problem because you'll not be burning so much gas.

A/C is not difficult. Maybe even a local auto parts store can help you out with a recommendation.

Ray
Most Ford Dealers cannot handle a Class A or a Class C. I took mine to a Rush Commercial Truck Center for Ford warranty work. Ford Commercial Truck centers are familiar with your chassis and engine.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/dealerships/

2023 Jayco 195RB
wolfie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:04 PM   #29

Thanks I will reach out to them. I will give you feedback.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 09-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #30

Well, the Rush Truck Center in my area states that they don't work on Ford F53 Motorhomes. Back to the draawing board.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #31

I purchased the Scan II but unable to read the codes you are listing. Per the Help desk for the Scanner it can't read the codes for Traction Control. Did you have another method get or read the codes? My 2022 Georgetown is having the same Traction Control Problem occurring at 72+ MPH. I have to travel 50 miles to get a dealer to work on the unit.
Bill from Middle River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #32

I don't have a code reader. The info was on my dash panel. I have not taken my motorhome in for repairs because I don't have a dealer within 100 miles of me to do repairs.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #33

I called to every Ford Dealer in the Baltimore Metro Area and finally found a dealer in York Penn. that does service Class A motor homes. A 50+ mile trip from my home. When I explained my issues, Traction Control failure at 73+ MPH and Check Engine Light with message "Check Gas Fill Cap" he stated sometimes it is the result of the company that "Stretches the Frame" for the installation of the RV. Then that would not be covered by the FORD warranty. As stated earlier I purchased the ScanGauge II and it will show the code for the Gas Cap but NOT the codes for the loss of the Traction Control. My appointment is for December 19th at Apple Ford in York PA. They stated they will need a week to finish. 50 miles to drop off, 50 miles back home, and the same to pick it back up. I'll let you know afterwards my results.
Bill from Middle River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #34
Kanadian Kamper

Good luck on your appointment to address your issues.

Honestly, 50 miles to a dealer that handles large RV rigs?
You are way ahead of a lot of others when it comes to servicing these beasts.

In your case…..a good distance to test whether they do fix your problem or not.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #35

On Fords with the exception of using the factory scan tool, Forscan is the best aftermarket scanner software. Other scanners usually only read the engine/transmission codes/data.

https://forscan.org/home.html

I bought one of their recommend link modules when it was 99$ but it's now up to 140$.

https://www.obdlink.com/products/

You can see all of the possible modules that a Ford may be equipped with, not just engine.

https://forscan.org/modules_list.html
Old 12-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
On Fords with the exception of using the factory scan tool, Forscan is the best aftermarket scanner software. Other scanners usually only read the engine/transmission codes/data.

https://forscan.org/home.html

I bought one of their recommend link modules when it was 99$ but it's now up to 140$.

https://www.obdlink.com/products/

You can see all of the possible modules that a Ford may be equipped with, not just engine.

https://forscan.org/modules_list.html
If I understand their website correctly, if you have a Windows laptop, the cheaper option may be to get the reader with the hardwired USB connector? Can anyone confirm this? https://www.obdlink.com/products/obd...x/?ref=forscan
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill from Middle River View Post
I called to every Ford Dealer in the Baltimore Metro Area and finally found a dealer in York Penn. that does service Class A motor homes. A 50+ mile trip from my home. When I explained my issues, Traction Control failure at 73+ MPH and Check Engine Light with message "Check Gas Fill Cap" he stated sometimes it is the result of the company that "Stretches the Frame" for the installation of the RV. Then that would not be covered by the FORD warranty. As stated earlier I purchased the ScanGauge II and it will show the code for the Gas Cap but NOT the codes for the loss of the Traction Control. My appointment is for December 19th at Apple Ford in York PA. They stated they will need a week to finish. 50 miles to drop off, 50 miles back home, and the same to pick it back up. I'll let you know afterwards my results.
I will wait until you get your coach back before I proceed. Let me know the outcome. Thanks

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill from Middle River View Post
Just a heads up... we DO NOT stretch any frames as we use the exact wheelbase sent to us from Ford. We do however add to the rear of the frames and this is done at MORryde. Also, when Ford went to the V8 chassis they now have a microchip in the gas cap itself. Ford may just have to reprogram? Hope this helps.
Cdefrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #39

This information is good information. Thanks for the follow up!

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #40
Jvz

Ford Chassis Work

I just experienced a similar situation on my most recent 9,000 mile trip from Florida to out west and back. I was told while at an RV dealership in the state of Washington getting my oil changed that my front hrdro booster seal was leaking power steering fluid. Note I have a 2021 Georgetown with about 22,000 miles. I said OK can you repair it and they said they did not have the resources to do the repair. They said I would have to take it to a ford dealer. I must have called 50 ford dealers in the Washington, Oregon, northern California region and not a one would work on a Class A MH. Needless to say, this was very frustrating when you are 3,500 miles from home. Fortunately I found a Rush Truck Center in Ceres, CA that did the repair and processed it through Ford warranty. So i know exactly how you feel. Before the trip I was so concerned about being able to handle issues with the coach (slides, jacks, etc.) that i never really thought about issues with a new chassis. And when I did think about it, I just assumed a ford dealer would be able to repair it. Really does give me concerns about future trips and if I ever trade in my Georgetown, I am not sure if i would go with another F-53 chassis.
Jvz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, motor, motorhome, repair, warranty