Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2022, 09:47 PM   #41
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvz
And when I did think about it, I just assumed a ford dealer would be able to repair it. Really does give me concerns about future trips and if I ever trade in my Georgetown, I am not sure if i would go with another F-53 chassis.
It is sad that the various gasser motorhome manufacturers have not already banded together and addressed this with Ford, since Ford has sold the only gas Class A chassis since Chevy left the market around 2010. (The chassis itself actually has been made by Detroit Chassis LLC for over a decade.)

We asked our selling dealer who they use for Ford warranty work and it is a local (to them) Ford commercial vehicle dealer. They're almost an hour each way for us but that works for the one time we used them.

From my reading, having a DP has similar issues. If you have a Spartan chassis your service options are also very limited. If you have Tiffin's Powerglide chassis, same problem. Even if you have a Freightliner chassis there still are problems finding places to service it and some charge higher hourly rates for motorhomes or won't work on it at all. But at least there is a lot of Freightliner expertise available from independents plus more parts availability.

It does not seem to be uncommon at all for Freightliner chassis owners to make an annual trek to Gaffney, SC for chassis service. I do know that NIRVC has Freightliner trained employees or Freightliner employees at their facilities to handle chassis warranty issues, though

Ray
Old 12-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #42

I know exactly how you feel. I am a Ford person and I have had my share of ford vehicles over the years and have enjoyed all of them. I am disappointed that Ford has not corrected this issue and I hope they will take a more proactive approach going forward. Speaking of Rush Truck centers,; I called all of the centers in my area and none of them will work on the Ford F-53 chassis. I will keep looking and I will continue to call Ford for a resolution. Thanks' for your feedback and i am glad you were able to get your Motorhome repaired. I am hopeful I will be able to do the same.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
A Good Way To See The Country!
cbell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
It is sad that the various gasser motorhome manufacturers have not already banded together and addressed this with Ford, since Ford has sold the only gas Class A chassis since Chevy left the market around 2010. (The chassis itself actually has been made by Detroit Chassis LLC for over a decade.)

We asked our selling dealer who they use for Ford warranty work and it is a local (to them) Ford commercial vehicle dealer. They're almost an hour each way for us but that works for the one time we used them.

From my reading, having a DP has similar issues. If you have a Spartan chassis your service options are also very limited. If you have Tiffin's Powerglide chassis, same problem. Even if you have a Freightliner chassis there still are problems finding places to service it and some charge higher hourly rates for motorhomes or won't work on it at all. But at least there is a lot of Freightliner expertise available from independents plus more parts availability.

It does not seem to be uncommon at all for Freightliner chassis owners to make an annual trek to Gaffney, SC for chassis service. I do know that NIRVC has Freightliner trained employees or Freightliner employees at their facilities to handle chassis warranty issues, though

Ray
Thanks Ray for the follow up. I hope the gets better going forward.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #44

Lose Traction Control at 73 MPH

Well on Friday I had a call from Apple Ford in York PA. They are backed up and had to cancel my Monday appointment till after the first of the year. Lot of good setting an appointment a month in advance does you. Well January 1st I'm heading south so I guess I'll try again in March when I return.
Bill from Middle River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #45

Has no one looked for a school-bus mechanic who wants to moonlight?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:30 PM   #46

It is always a bummer when they cancal you at the last minute. I hope it works out in March. Keep me posted on the repair. Happy Holiday!!

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #47

The only problem with that on this repair is it is a warranty repair. I think after the warranty is up, that might be a strong consideration.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 12-19-2022, 05:37 PM   #48

I think I might have a possibility in my area. I got a referral a couple of minutes ago. I will call the Ford dealer tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 02-04-2023, 03:33 PM   #49

Any word back on your lead for a Ford repair shop that will work with warranty claims?

Thanks!
mlkendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:40 PM   #50

Unfortunately, I did not find any Ford dealer that would help. I decided to move away from Ford and purchased a Diesel motorhome. I picked it up today. This motorhome is on a Freightliner chassis and I have five companies near me that will work on it. I am sorry to disappoint, but I needed to have some peace of mind.

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
Old 02-07-2023, 11:20 AM   #51
Jeff

Maybe a bit late on this, but I completely get the challenge finding Ford dealers that can work on medium to heavy duty rigs. Here in Orlando there are also truck service companies that do work (even warranty work sometimes) - like Rush truck centers for instance.

That may be another thread to pull for anyone looking.

Just thought I’d throw it out!
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell3 View Post
I decided to move away from Ford and purchased a Diesel motorhome..
Well, that’s certainly one way to solve the problem. You likely got a smoother ride, more towing capacity, and even larger pass-thru storage compartments. Safe travels!
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #53

Congrats on the DP! I've heard KW is the way to go!
mlkendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:18 PM   #54

Thanks Everyone, I am looking forward to my first trip!

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5

Tags
ford, motor, motorhome, repair, warranty