Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #21

Towing with Triton v-10 at high elevations

Expect 3% less horsepower for every 1,000 ft above sea level. 11,000 ft would be 33%less power although the fuel injection system will try to adjust fueling. A 5 star tuning helped me as did a K&N cold air intake system which the 5 Star Tune included. Definitely use the tow feature on the Ford 6 speed automatic trans. Downhill grades are easier as the 5 Star tune will downshift one gear with Each brake application until You release the tow feature. Saves brakes on steep grades and holds a reasonable speed downhill.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitcham View Post
planning a big trip next april to some great jeeping in moab. my wife questions how well the 2015 gtown 351ds will do going over the rockies pulling the jeep. we pull as a toad now, but hope to have a nice light aluminum trailer by then.

anybody have thoughts about how we will fare?

thanks.
Fine
Old 07-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
You said it was “almost redlining the tach”. Did the transmission allow the RPM to go beyond redline, or just almost to redline?
Actually there isn’t a redline on the F53 tach. The computer prevents overreving.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have a 2012 378TS with 5 Star installed and has more torque and like how it holds gears in high climbs. Over 75,000 miles so far.
How many miles have you had the 5 Star installed?
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsail View Post
Downhill grades are easier as the 5 Star tune will downshift one gear with Each brake application until You release the tow feature. Saves brakes on steep grades and holds a reasonable speed downhill.
This is what happens even without the 5 Star and Tow Haul engaged.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #26

BTW. When I went to RMNP area I stayed in Granby CO. To get there off of I70 you have to go over Berthoud Pass at 11,307ft. The switchbacks are very wide. And the speed limit is 35mph. My 2012 with the 5 speed and 5.38 gears (I was wrong on it having 4.30's like I posted earlier) went over them fine at that speed. However going up I70 to that point I was stuck at 40mph, down to 35 at one point. Like I said the F53 at 25k lbs combined will do it, but slow. I hoping the 5star will help,out with at least 10 more mph!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
How many miles have you had the 5 Star installed?
I Installed my 5 Star tune May 15, 2018 at 60,000 miles and now have 75,300 miles.
So the answer is 15,300 miles since I installed.

All good and glad I did it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #28

Iggy, just curious. How much speed do you lose going up a medium grade. I lose approx 15mph. So if I'm doing 65 I'm down to 50. Would love to still be close to the speed limit on such grades. Going up I70 out of Denver I was down to 35 from 65. That's a bigger grade, but again I would've been OK with 50.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Iggy, just curious. How much speed do you lose going up a medium grade. I lose approx 15mph. So if I'm doing 65 I'm down to 50. Would love to still be close to the speed limit on such grades. Going up I70 out of Denver I was down to 35 from 65. That's a bigger grade, but again I would've been OK with 50.
No way you can maintain highway speed going up a steep long grade.
The trick I learned over the years with my Georgetown is that when I know I have a big hill coming I increase speed a bit before the hill which helps a lot.
If you are not going at a speed entering the up hill with some extra rpms you will lose a lot if the hill is long. I rarely get below 45mph on long steep uphill grades.
I don't baby my V10 as it has lots of hp and torque and I have a heavy foot so I have no problems with my style of driving up a hill.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #30

I don't think the V-10 will think ill of you, but I'd definitely start with a clean air filter. Your engine is going to want air and lots of it.

I'm a believer in K&N Air Filters, but not everyone feels the same. I put them in everything I own and since their reusable you're not out that cost each time, other than the cost of the cleaning solution and oil.

But an off-the-shelf filter will be just fine too!

Safe travels.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #31

No issues what so ever.....

We have a 2009 v-10 SD, and we actually find that it seems to do better in the higher elevations. Mpg better, close to 10 mpg.....as opposed to the 7-8 mpg on the Interstates (I'm sure speeds has something to do with it). We pull a 26', 5700# trailer.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #32

Even in Colorado you are only ever at 11,000 on a paved road for a couple of minutes. You will spend most of your driving time at 6000-9000.
Relax and enjoy the scenery.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #33

We live near Denver. We did that very trip in March to Moab pulling 2014 jeep wrangler rubicon 4 door. Pulled with 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT 38' V-10 6 speed. K&N air filter only mod.

Does just fine. Going up 70 from Denver is a steep and pretty long incline with some flatter areas. We have done this route pulling jeep or ATV's for almost 20 years with ford V10 last was a 2004 Damon Challenger.

You'll be lucky to hit 45 MPH in some areas and you will be planting the gas pedal but just let it work. There are a couple spots that it drops to 1st gear but for a short time....like before Eisenhower tunnel.

Coming from Moab east the really steep part is coming up from Dillon again to the tunnel and its a longer stretch of 35-45 mph in lower 1/2nd gear. Just stay right and take your time.

Not sure when your going to Moab we were there like March 21st stayed at the big RV Resort there. Covid hit bad that week and the shut downs started. We booked partial week thinking we might move around. Then Earth Quake hit Utah, Covid got bad, wanted to head home but home had a huge spring blizzard. Tried to stay a couple more nights but RV Resort said we missed deadline to extend stay and we had to leave within hours (Covid 19 related). Drove to Palasaide Co and spent the night then drove back over 70 East to home in Elizabeth Co in the remnants of the blizzard. Was challenging but they had the roads in pretty good shape and we just took our sweet time.

Keep a eye on your covid changes and make sure you don't get the boot like we did! LOL.
gdcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Even in Colorado you are only ever at 11,000 on a paved road for a couple of minutes. You will spend most of your driving time at 6000-9000.
Relax and enjoy the scenery.
The problem I have is, for instance, on I94 coming up from the Missouri River I drop from 67 to 45. Anyone that knows that area knows it’s not a huge grade and not that long. On lesser inclines than that I’m dropping 15mph. I know I’m heavy (the MH) but to lose that kind of speed on that stretch is ridiculous. Which is why I want the tuner. Not for HP but for the improved drive by wire operation. I can tell and hear when the throttle is wide open, and in a grade it is not. I can hear it back off. I know they are trying to extend the life of Th engine a bit. But I’ll gladly lose 20k miles (figure a 300k mikes lifespan of the engine) to make it a much more enjoyable drive!

Old 07-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
The problem I have is, for instance, on I94 coming up from the Missouri River I drop from 67 to 45. Anyone that knows that area knows it’s not a huge grade and not that long.
What route are you using to get to Colorado? We have a number of very good U.S. highways that run E-W across the state that only have a single pass over the Divide, like U.S. 50 over Monarch Pass that takes you right into Grand Junction. And, if you go to Moab via I-80 or I-40, you don't have to go over any real passes, just small hills (well, small compared to the Colorado Rockies, anyway.).

BTW, I-70 has both the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158' and Vail Pass at 10,666' to cross between Denver and Moab.

Of course, in April, every pass will have snow since, even in Denver at only 5280', we often have a May snowstorm. Also, many Colorado campgrounds are closed until mid-May.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #36

We left CO and went to the Black Hills and then to Sioux Falls. That’s why I was on I94 after Colorado.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #37

We've been over i70 out of denver 3 times in a 2014 georgetown with no problems. Just put it in towhaul. Ours is used to the flat ground in Florida. We also had a toad.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #38

Ditto to the gear hold when climbing and making sure cooling system for radiator & transmission are in top working order including fresh antifreeze, oil & filters. . 3% of power lost per 1000 ft gain from sea level.
There is more concern to down the mountains then up
I live at 7k and have to do these mountains lots.
brewnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #39
FR3 Division

The dialog about speed & grade always reminds me of this old episode from the Andy Griffith Show. Not intended to ruffle feathers, just wanted to share...
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #40

I've read a lot of positive things about 5 star and a few say it's not needed. I'm all for making the machine wok better if it can be reasonably done. What does it take to install? I've pulled some long grades in North Carolina with my 2016 3010 DS pulling an Escape on a dolly and you sure won't set any land speed records but made it ok. Is 5 Star plug and play?
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford