Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Found out the popping sound when retracting slide

So....after a while I have finally found out the source for my popping when I bring in my slide in. It is the plastic carrier that houses all of the electric/gas lines into the slide. Going out it is fine, when I retract the slide the rungs on the housing drag on the opening and with each rung I get a little pop. My thinking is eventually it will wear the carrier down and worse case could cause issues with the gas/electric lines housed in it. Looking for suggestions with reducing the drag or if it is something that is really not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_175330.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	198408  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Ya think it will eventually wear, question is...how long will it take. Not sure what you could get in there as guide for the cable chain.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
usnrete8

The links on my slide-out are large plastic 2" x 2" links that enclose a couple of power cables and they will definitely break, at least 2 are broken on my unit now. It is now a 2 person operation running the slide in or out, 1 person to press the slide button and a 2nd person guiding the broken chain into & out of the hole from the storage compartment in the basement.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds41crane View Post
The links on my slide-out are large plastic 2" x 2" links that enclose a couple of power cables and they will definitely break, at least 2 are broken on my unit now. It is now a 2 person operation running the slide in or out, 1 person to press the slide button and a 2nd person guiding the broken chain into & out of the hole from the storage compartment in the basement.
I was thinking about doing that. I removed the access cover and got my hands between the chain and the floor. It feels ok but I think doing as you suggested now may save me some pain later.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #5

Possible fix

I don't own a Georgetown but from your photo it looks like an industrial piece of cable track would replace whhat is there and last a long time without falling apart. I used to sell this stuff to my machine builder customers for this very purpose of cable control.
This is just one of several brands but if you search you'll find others and a myriad of configurations and attachment hardware.

https://www.ustsubaki.com/cable-carrier.html

Worth a shot to look.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrossan View Post
I don't own a Georgetown but from your photo it looks like an industrial piece of cable track would replace whhat is there and last a long time without falling apart. I used to sell this stuff to my machine builder customers for this very purpose of cable control.
This is just one of several brands but if you search you'll find others and a myriad of configurations and attachment hardware.

https://www.ustsubaki.com/cable-carrier.html

Worth a shot to look.

Thanks! I will book mark this link. For now I will probably stay with this one and keep a close eye on it. Now that I know what it is called and how it works I feel better!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

I had issues with the plastic snake on my '16 270. The action on sliding out is more troubling as the snake is under compression as the slide goes out and is fed into the hole in the floor. On my unit, the snake bound up on extension and broke two links with a loud "bang". I replaced the broken links and now watch and guide the snake into the hole while extending the slide. Retracting the slide doesn't cause any drama or noise as the snake is pulled up out of the floor. My dealer of course told me he'd never seen that happen before, but I can't believe that based on the dynamics involved. I'm sure it's worse in cold weather. If I ever have to disassemble the snake again I'll put a little little silicone grease on the hinge pins on each link. Otherwise, I plan to continue watching it each time I use the slide to make sure it works as it should.

Good luck.

Mark
my10539isok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by my10539isok View Post
I had issues with the plastic snake on my '16 270. The action on sliding out is more troubling as the snake is under compression as the slide goes out and is fed into the hole in the floor. On my unit, the snake bound up on extension and broke two links with a loud "bang". I replaced the broken links and now watch and guide the snake into the hole while extending the slide. Retracting the slide doesn't cause any drama or noise as the snake is pulled up out of the floor. My dealer of course told me he'd never seen that happen before, but I can't believe that based on the dynamics involved. I'm sure it's worse in cold weather. If I ever have to disassemble the snake again I'll put a little little silicone grease on the hinge pins on each link. Otherwise, I plan to continue watching it each time I use the slide to make sure it works as it should.

Good luck.

Mark
I ran my hand under the cable housing and felt at least 2 broken links. I will start supporting it like you mentioned when I bring it in. I wonder if wrapping the housing with a good tape like gorilla tape would help. Gorilla tape would hold up better than the cheap plastic that it is now I would think.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
I ran my hand under the cable housing and felt at least 2 broken links. I will start supporting it like you mentioned when I bring it in. I wonder if wrapping the housing with a good tape like gorilla tape would help. Gorilla tape would hold up better than the cheap plastic that it is now I would think.
I recommend you replace the broken links. The plastic is actually quite sturdy and is commonly used used on industrial applications like tractors and such. (You'll find that out if you try to replace it.) The last thing you want is sharp edges from a broken link gouging a hose or harness inside of it. I removed a broken link and found the manufacturer on the internet. I took the piece to my dealer and ordered a foot of it. You can replace a link individually (though not easily) or several together as it's slotted to snap over the cables/hoses. Anything (like tape) that you wrap around it will make it less flexible, so I don't recommend it. I plan to continue watching it.

Take care.

Mark
Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
usnrete8

Quote:
Originally Posted by my10539isok View Post

Good luck.

Mark
My '16 270 also broke a link, one that I can see where the chain disappears under the woodwork housing on the forward inboard end of the dinette slide. I would surely appreciate the manufacturer & part # data that you were able to get from the chain. Also how did you pry the links off of & onto the pins?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #11

Slide cable management...

I attempted to attach a few pics of the chain parts, but the wifi I'm on at the RV park won't allow me to upload pics. I'll try my best to describe.

The cable management chain on my coach consists of molded plastic links. To try and determine who manufactured it, I examined the broken parts. Each link has the manufacturer name/logo (igus) and part/type number (Z16.3.040) molded on it. Each link has two hinge pins, one on either side, and the bottom has slotted tabs that allow the cable/hose to be pushed through them into the chain.

When mine broke, I removed a section of the chain that included all the broken parts. I had two broken links with a couple of good ones between them. To do this, I used a small blade screwdriver to pry between the side plates and the body to snap the side off the hinge pins on the links. I then pushed the cable harness and propane hose through the slotted tabs on the link bottom to remove the section. (Wasn’t too hard.) Make sure you count how many links you remove including those that are broken so you can insert the same number of good ones when you reassemble it.

Here is the URL to the manufacturer’s site:
https://www.igus.com/

I located the item my unit had and was going to order from them, but had gone to my dealer to talk about this problem and ended up buying from him instead. The dealer had me provide the VIN of my coach and they ordered the item from Georgetown. Be aware that the part they ordered was the entire length of the chain with both ends attached. I didn’t need this or want to pay for it all. The dealer decided he’d sell me a foot of the chain instead which was all I needed. With some difficulty, I installed the section by assembling the number of links I needed, then pushing the cable/hose through the slots on the bottom of the link section. I then pried the sides over the hinge pins on the links that remained from the original chain. (Sounds easier than it was but I didn’t break anything.) The sides should snap on the pins and did with some coaxing.

As it stands now, the chain on my unit is intact and I watch and guide it when I extend the slide. Hope this is useful.
Good luck.
Mark
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
usnrete8

Mark that is exactly the info I'm looking for, as much as I hate going back to the dealer I'll see them tomorrow, if they are no help I'll contact igus with the part # you gave.
Thanks again - Dennis
Old 03-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
usnrete8

Mark I visited my FR dealer concerning the broken cable management chain, they said they would contact FR & get right back to me, that was 1 1/2 weeks ago.
This morning I contacted igus and gave then the part Z16.3.040 they said that was a good # and when asked how many links I needed told them 6, they said that would be $6.53 plus shipping & they would ship the links today.
I feel confident that I'll have the replacement links and my chain fixed within a week or so thanks to the good data you provided, thanks a bunch.
Dennis
Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds41crane View Post
Mark I visited my FR dealer concerning the broken cable management chain, they said they would contact FR & get right back to me, that was 1 1/2 weeks ago.
This morning I contacted igus and gave then the part Z16.3.040 they said that was a good # and when asked how many links I needed told them 6, they said that would be $6.53 plus shipping & they would ship the links today.
I feel confident that I'll have the replacement links and my chain fixed within a week or so thanks to the good data you provided, thanks a bunch.
Dennis
Dennis, you're very welcome. Take care.

Mark

Tags
slide