Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

Found water damage - where to look for the source?

Hi friends. Finishing up year 3 with my 31b3. Has been so far so good until thie latest outing. I noticed a bubbling in the wall paper int he rear bedroom and sure enough it was damp underneat and a little on the carpet next to it. I think it is coming in from the rear window seal as the window frame seems to be in line with it. The area above the buddle seems dry. The damp portion is not wood it is insulation that absorbed the water (so far). Looking for some advise on where to start my search. If it is the window seal what are my options with correcting it? Pic attached.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_131847.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	242691  
Old 11-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

I used to have a travel trailer with the same issue. Turned out to be a leak in the window frame itself. Wind blown rain would enter the "weep holes" in the frame and then in turn it would leak through the frame itself.

Solution was to first caulk the frame seam where the water leaked into the wall and then cover the weep holes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
NXR

Buy a pinless moisture meter. "Pin" ones need to poke holes. The meter will tell you how large the area of moisture is, probably using a "relative" measurement due to the wall covering.

The meter may give you a clue and also tell you how large your issue really is. Big box stores carry them as well.

Here's a selection: https://www.homedepot.com/s/moisture%2520meter?NCNI-5

Ray
Old 11-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Buy a pinless moisture meter. "Pin" ones need to poke holes. The meter will tell you how large the area of moisture is, probably using a "relative" measurement due to the wall covering.

The meter may give you a clue and also tell you how large your issue really is. Big box stores carry them as well.

Here's a selection: https://www.homedepot.com/s/moisture%2520meter?NCNI-5

Ray
I forgot I had one. It has 4 settings wall, masonry, soft wood and hard wood. It is 85% straight up from that spot all the way to the top of the window. The area at the spot shows 100%. The other side which show no signs is 85% so I assume 85% is low to no moisture with it set to wall setting. It measures 100% at the bubble spot and about 4-5 inches around it. It could also be below that spot but that is a carpeted ledge there so I can't inspect lower. I'm wondering if it could be the weep holes. I plan on cleaning them out tomorrow morning. Should I peel back the wall paper? If I do than I have what could be a tricky repair job once the leak it eliminated.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I used to have a travel trailer with the same issue. Turned out to be a leak in the window frame itself. Wind blown rain would enter the "weep holes" in the frame and then in turn it would leak through the frame itself.

Solution was to first caulk the frame seam where the water leaked into the wall and then cover the weep holes.
Can you elaborate on "caulk the frame seam"?
Old 11-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Can you elaborate on "caulk the frame seam"?
Realizing that often window frames are different, on mine it was where the inner half of the frame joined the outer half. The window frame on mine was a two piece, one fitting in from the outside of the hole and mating with the inner trim piece which held it in place. There were little slots cut in the bottom of the frame that were supposed to drain any condensation out of the window frame but often allowed wind blown rain in.

Look for a seam on the inside of the window in the frame. If it isn't caulked I'd suggest adding some sealer to it so water that collects there doesn't leak into the wall. I used some black silicone sealer that I picked up at an Auto Parts store. To make sure it stuck good I wiped the seam down with some Acetone first. Stinks so use plenty of ventilation if you use it. It evaporates fast so the smell goes away fairly quickly.

Also, it may be possible that there is a leak above the window where roof and side meets. It could be anywhere along the length of the window and the window frame is channeling the water to one end where it's accumulating where the blistered area is.

Leaks are a real PITA to find.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
I forgot I had one. It has 4 settings wall, masonry, soft wood and hard wood. It is 85% straight up from that spot all the way to the top of the window. The area at the spot shows 100%. The other side which show no signs is 85% so I assume 85% is low to no moisture with it set to wall setting. It measures 100% at the bubble spot and about 4-5 inches around it. It could also be below that spot but that is a carpeted ledge there so I can't inspect lower. I'm wondering if it could be the weep holes. I plan on cleaning them out tomorrow morning. Should I peel back the wall paper? If I do than I have what could be a tricky repair job once the leak it eliminated.
Be certain to check other walls as well to assure 85% is a good baseline. Hopefully it is.

Ray
Old 11-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

So to follow up....I pushed open the window and indeed the weep holes were clogged.......we have 3 dogs and that channel had a lot of dust and dirt in it. I will be caulking the seam of the window in the bottom channel of the frame and a few inches up on each side. I am hoping that will stop future penetration. Attached a pic to see if that makes sense.

Thanks a bunch for the advise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_172426.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	242703  
Old 11-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
NXR

Do you have frameless windows like me? I hate that gap at the top of the top of the window where water can do nothing but sit. So I just started running a small bead of sealant in that gap, which will extend down each side just a bit.

I have read of some people who had leaks in those windows because the inside screws came loose and the window dropped slightly. If you have frameless, assure those screws are tight.

Ray
Old 11-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you have frameless windows like me? I hate that gap at the top of the top of the window where water can do nothing but sit. So I just started running a small bead of sealant in that gap, which will extend down each side just a bit.

I have read of some people who had leaks in those windows because the inside screws came loose and the window dropped slightly. If you have frameless, assure those screws are tight.

Ray
Yes, I have frameless.....I have never looked at the top but that's on my list tomorrow. Did you run a thin bead on the very top at the seal and the wall of the camper?
Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Yes, I have frameless.....I have never looked at the top but that's on my list tomorrow. Did you run a thin bead on the very top at the seal and the wall of the camper?
Yes, between the glass and the wall. Just enough to hopefully keep any water from leaking through. Don't know if it will help but hopefully it will not hurt.

Ray

Tags
water