Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

fresh water overflow

One quick question. the fresh water overflow was leaking around the connection (I tightened it). The hose has a loop before and then it points to the ground. Is the hose suppposed to have the loop, or is it supposed to be straight? Sadly I 've never paid attention before. I had a lot of water laying around the tank. A picture would be nice if you can take one.
I forgot, a 2004 Georgetown 37ft.

Thanks!!!!1
Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Some models had trouble with overflow creating a siphon going down the road. The loop may prevent some of this. I would leave it in there.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Attached is a picture of how mine looked before I did anything to it.

Mine would siphon about half the tank out if you filled it all the way up. Also I would loose about 25% of the water from the tank in the first 20 miles I drove or so.

I took the loop out and put a large PVC ball valve on the line. I don't have a picture of the new setup yet. The valve prevents me from loosing water while driving.

When I fill the tank the tank bulges out on top. So I leave the valve closed until I use enough water that the tank isn't bulged anymore. Then I open the valve, which allows the water to start siphoning out. Then I blow hard into the bottom of the valve to clear it of water. Then I'm good until I fill up again.

I need to figure out a better system. I haven't worked out a better plan yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9082.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	6912  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

That was a little hard to see. Here is a zoomed in view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9082.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6913  
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #5

Yup! Thats it! Mine has tape on the exit to, and that's another mystery to check out.. The way yours looks, it seems to go ut past the top of the tank, and then drops down. Mine is setup in a full 360. It's been to hot outside today so I'm gonna take another look Sat.
I think as much as these things cost, there would be a better way for the overflow
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Speaking about Georgetown water tanks, why is the pump connected at the 1/3 full level? My 2005 sucks air when the tank is 1/3 full. That means that I have to carry about 57 litres (15 gal for my US friends) all trhe time. I can see that having an Arctic pack you might not want the tank to drain down to empty leaving the heater element high and dry so to speak. I'm going to look for the tank drain and connect my pump into it so that I can travel with only enough water to flush a couple of times while on the road.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #7

There are a number of threads about the water tank siphon issues in Georgetowns. Do a query and you will find almost an every year problem/resolution thread. Enjoy the reading. I would also recommend that you work your way through all of the old postings here. You'll find tons of wisdom and solutions to problems you didn't even know you had YET!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 AM   #8

The electrical tape holds a bit of window screen over the open end of the hose. To keep bugs from crawling up in there I suppose.