Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

Fresh water overflow issue

Wanted to make others aware of this. I have a new Georgetown 350 and one of the first things I did was to remove the black panel in the compartment housing the fresh water tank so I could physically see the level of the water.

Glad I did. 2 weeks ago when filling my tank, I let it overflow. For those that have looked, the overflow tube connects at the top of the tank, which one would expect, and then curves down and goes through the floor of the compartment. It has overflowed before with no real issue but 2 weeks ago, the overflowing water created a siphoning effect on the tank since the hose drains out below the tank and my entire tank started to collapse. It caved in a long ways and the only way I could stop it from continuing to collapse was to unscrew the hose clamp and release the overflow tube at the top of the tank. If I would have had the black panel in there, I likely would not have seen this other than being perplexed as to why water kept running out.

Tank popped back to its original shape and seems fine. I drilled a new hole in the side of the compartment and rerouted the drain hose so that the water overflows near the top edge of the tank. Tested it twice and it works great. Will try to post a pic in a couple of days to show others how I did it.
blightle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #2

This is a known issue for many FR products. Do a seach on the forums here and you will see what many of us have done to fix the issue. Most use a garden hose ball valve at the end of the vent tube and close it for travel then open it once set up or for filling the tank.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

I removed the tank cover panel as well. Really helps to see how full you are getting when filling. Plus there are more nooks and crannies to stash stuff back there
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Overflow

Having solved this problem in a prior post I'm thinking that someone from Forrest River ought to be monitoring this site and fixing some of the more egregious problems. My 07 had the issue and I think everyone for the last 3 years has it too.

I own a 391 on a UFO chassis and read IRV2.com to watch for Workhorse and UFO chassis issues. They seem to have a link back to the factory via the moderator. So they have an impact on the product and get lots of good information. Is anyone from FR listening? You don't have to fix it all for us, nor do we expect to have our hands held forever. We know you have to make a profit and warranties expire. Still good companies get better by listening openly and communicating with their customers. I worked for a start-up company that managed get big and successful. The CEO was always aware of what our customers were saying about us on email and online forums. He often responded directly. Early on I thought he was crazy burning up his time like that. Later I realized he was the best boss in the best company I ever worked for. Forrest River, how "best" are you?
Lawfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #5

Do you all leave the tank cover off? Or just take it off to check levels and replace?
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #6

Go to this link and you will see a whole discussion of the water siphoning issue and an inexpensive solution that has worked for several of us:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...phon-5479.html
Lawfive is offline   Reply With Quote