Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
dfp

Fresh Water Tank

We do some boon docking and are finding that the fresh water tank lacking, 40 gallons. There is no direct access to the tank in order to pour bottled water into it so has anyone made that sort of modification. There is significant unused space in the basis, poor original design, so has anyone added an additional fresh water tank that could be filled from an external outlet and which could be piped to the OEM tank and maybe assisted with an electric pump.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

We bring a couple of 5 gallon extra water containers, the blue square ones. We have either attached a hose to it and dumped it in our water tank through the fill tube or used our winterization hose and pump to suck the water out of the container and use the outdoor hose to fill the tank. We also bring a lot of frozen water bottles to keep the fridge, freezer and beer coolers cold and drink that water.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
dfp

Fresh Water Tank

It seems to me I would have to pump the water in via a hose to get it in the existing portal. What would be great is yet another portal that was nothing more than a gravity inlet into the fresh water tank. We had a Safari Trek previously that had this secondary arrangement. I could then easily pour in a one or five gallon bottle of water.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

How do you fill your water tank now? Is there a garden hose city connection and a bypass valve to fill the fresh water tank?

Do you have a picture?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
dfp

Fresh Water Tank

I use a garden hose which screws into a fitting that is in the basement area and the water pressure causes the tank to fill.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #6

You could use something like this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-Pl...H-10/100372238

Or electric water pump setup.

https://youtu.be/1VKN2MDjyCo
Old 03-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

I don't boondock but I see a lot about making a jumper hose from the external spray faucet assembly to the fresh water fill port and use the winterization hose and water pump to fill the holding tank. Select winterization with the applicable valve and open the cold water faucet at the external faucet assembly and turn on the water pump. An easy project. Just need hose and the two fittings for the faucet and input fill port.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
dfp

Fresh Water Tank

Sounds like a good plan but now I have to figure out where my winterizing hose is. I winterize by always being where it is warm.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank