Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Front door swing 351DS

Has anyone figured out a better way to manage the front door swing? As it is, anytime there is even a slight breeze, the door gets slammed open and the piston breaks. I tried using a stronger piston, but it just opens the door even faster.
I thought about using one of those t shaped holdouts, but you can't keep the door open all of the way due to the awning being in the way.
Any suggestions?
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

I understand what you mean by opening quickly even without wind. We've gotten used to it. I wish there was a shock that would dampen it as it come close to being fully opened.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

Exactly
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

I just bought a 2012 Georgetown 351DS last week, and the front door is probably my biggest gripe. I'm used to the front door opening all the way (180 degrees in my previous motorhome) and then securing it to the exterior wall with a metal clip. It was very convenient, because my family and friends are always in and out of the RV, and we're used to just using the screen door to keep the bugs out.

I will be watching this thread like a hawk, just in case anyone comes up with a good way to keep the front door open.
Cyclone Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

My front door is falling apart. Opens to far and pulls against shock. Then any breeze aggravates the problem. On my list of warranty issues. Probably need to install a new door. If the awning is out, it helps stop the door. I don't use my awning much.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

The reason that they don't have the door open all of the way is that it hits the awning when it is down. I tried to get one of those t latches to work, but you would have to get a 10 or 12 inch bracket in the middle of the door in order to hold it out far enough that the canopy will open.

The gas piston works alright sometime, but if there is a slight breeze from behind the RV the door rips open. It opened so fast on me that the gas piston broke and I had to order new end fittings for it.

Another problem I have is that my door is tweeked so that when you try to shut it, the top hits first, then you have to yank the door to fully close it. When you go to open the door you have to pry on the handle to open it. My wife often has me get the door, because she cant even get it to budge when we are slightly unlevel. I sent it in for warranty work on that problem, they said they fixed it. Not so much. Next available appointment is two or three months. Nice. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #7

I'm feeling that pain too. The piston on my front door came broken... and the top of my door is bent where the piston attaches, most likely from the door opening up from a gust of wind.

I looked at a number of those T brackets and I'm not too fond of having a 10 inch latch dangling from the side of the RV. Nor do I want to put any unnecessary screw holes in the door and/or walls.

In a perfect world, I'd like to install a high quality piston that keeps the door from swinging open in the wind, and then something as simple as one of that catches they have on screen doors in homes in order to keep it open. Something so simple, yet I can't find one anywhere.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

[QUOTE=rkneifl;582137]I'm feeling that pain too. The piston on my front door came broken... and the top of my door is bent where the piston attaches, most likely from the door opening up from a gust of wind.
QUOTE]

Is your piston attached at the top of our door?? Mine is attached at the bottom.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Yes, mine is attached to the top.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

The first thing I did when I got my 2012 337xl was to remove the damper and attach a door latch to the side of the RV to allow the door to swing open 180 degrees. It is much better. I also used the top damper hardware and installed a nylon strap attached to the mounting brackets on the coach and door with a removable pin so it can be opened 1/2 way with the strap in place, or all the way with the strap disconnected.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #11

Hmmm.. Our piston is on the bottom. Wonder if adding another piston to the top would help stabilize it some. Just a thought.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
Hmmm.. Our piston is on the bottom. Wonder if adding another piston to the top would help stabilize it some. Just a thought.
Nope, wont work. Screen door is shorter on the bottom to accommodate the piston

Charleston SC
Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #13

Door at 180 degrees

Would you post a pic of the door at 180, the damper, and the strap - I'm very interestede
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #14

Get a 3/4" nylon strap about 24" long and sew a loop in one end.
Get a 2" hinge and remove the center pin, attach the wide part of the hinge to the top of the door, use a nail as a pin to go through the hinge plate and the loop of the strap. attach the other end of the strap to the top of the door. Attach a door latch to the exterior of the rv and the door. When the strap is in place the door only opens half way. When the nail is removed the door opens 180 degrees and attaches to the exterior of the rv.
When inside, the strap can also be used to pull the door closed. Very simple but works well I will attempt to attach pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	49615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	49616  
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #15

I just looked at our and it's at the bottom. The bracket that attaches the piston to the door frame has a busted sheet metal screw and it's being held by just one screw. I may remove the piston and install one of these so that it could be opened all the way and locked in place:

RV Travel Trailer camper motorhome Hauler Coach Door Holder Door Latch 6" White | eBay
Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #16

Al, I removed my piston as well, because it was broken and bending my door fram. I know your solution will work with that latch if the awning is closed, but what about when its open?

For my 2012 351DS, when the awning is out, the front door only open to a 45 degree angle (give or take a few degrees) and I'm not sure if a latch that length will reach? Just thinking out loud here. I will be curious to see what you come up with.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneifl View Post
Al, I removed my piston as well, because it was broken and bending my door fram. I know your solution will work with that latch if the awning is closed, but what about when its open?

For my 2012 351DS, when the awning is out, the front door only open to a 45 degree angle (give or take a few degrees) and I'm not sure if a latch that length will reach? Just thinking out loud here. I will be curious to see what you come up with.
You are right. I just looked and the door will definitely hit the awning's arms. I currently don't have an awning since it's on order, but once I get one installed I'll see what the solution is. It may be possible to install a latch to the awning's arms or something.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
It may be possible to install a latch to the awning's arms or something.
I can't wait to see what you come up with and copy it.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #19

We have a 2013 378 xl
Just finished replacing the front door because of this problem. The door would open just fast enough to bend the door frame when it opens all the way. The door was replaced under warranty. Now I need to come up with a solution so it won't happen again. Will post pics when I find a cure for a defective design.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneifl View Post
I can't wait to see what you come up with and copy it.
X2

Mine hasn't broke yet but looks like its just a matter of time. I noticed this weekend it has already lost pressure and the only thing is doing is keeping the door from opening all the way.

Charleston SC

Tags
door