Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #1

Front windshield electric curtain

Looking for sources to replace the electric motor on my windshield electric shade! 2015 Georgetown 378XL. Looking for manufacturer.
Mike9224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

Your front motorized shade and rear day/night shades may be manufactured by Irvine Shade and Door.

If so, you are in luck as they have great customer service and have replacement parts. In my case they sent several new brackets at no charge.

Irvine Shade and Door, Inc
(574) 522-1446 (Phone)
(574) 522-0568 (Fax)
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #3

They may have great customer service but their product is sketchy. We have to replace our motorized shade for a second time, and it does not get heavy use. Unfortunately, this seems to happen when we are parked for the night, get buckled in the next morning and find there is no power to the shade.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #4

I have 2013 Georgetown 378 xl and had my curtain motor stop working , I discovered a manufacturer design flaw , and fixed it myself. The edge of the curtain was cutting into the motor wire when ever it went up or down because the wire had no grove to go through on the bracket , so I grinder a grove and repaired the cut wire , problem solved . Maybe you have same issue, I will send before and after pictures, good luck
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8168.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	261214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8169.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	261215
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpci View Post
I have 2013 Georgetown 378 xl and had my curtain motor stop working , I discovered a manufacturer design flaw , and fixed it myself. The edge of the curtain was cutting into the motor wire when ever it went up or down because the wire had no grove to go through on the bracket , so I grinder a grove and repaired the cut wire , problem solved . Maybe you have same issue, I will send before and after pictures, good luck
It's been a while since I looked at mine, but I do NOT recall the wire like that. Yours may be mis assembled nd possibly come out of the center hole vs having to cut a slot. Again, mine is fine and I do not recall the wire being like that - sorry i don't take apart working items on an RV.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
It's been a while since I looked at mine, but I do NOT recall the wire like that. Yours may be mis assembled nd possibly come out of the center hole vs having to cut a slot. Again, mine is fine and I do not recall the wire being like that - sorry i don't take apart working items on an RV.
Our shade had the exact same problem. When taken apart to replace the motor, the wires were frayed. This is likely the issue a second time. We can’t look at it until we return home, so no privacy at night for now. It’s obviously a design flaw.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #8

I'll say it again (last time). Probably 50-75+% of the problems I have seen/heard over the 4 years i have had the misfortune to be involved in the RV community dealing with problems, most appear to be assembly problems vs actual product defects. That is the RV manufacturer's fault/problem, not the subassembly manufacturer providing a defective product. Then there are scenarios like the 10-20,000 Dometic AC defects or the Battery Control centers that happen too. But then when that defect is replaced, the problem is at least gone - usually.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
Our shade had the exact same problem. When taken apart to replace the motor, the wires were frayed. This is likely the issue a second time. We can’t look at it until we return home, so no privacy at night for now. It’s obviously a design flaw.
Another one here with that exact problem. In my case the wire was cut thru right at the motor with not enough left to splice. Ordered a replacement. Hardest part was taking the curtain down but I made sure the wires were routed properly when I put it back together.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #10

I contacted Forest River and they sent me a new one for free. At the time it was 7 years old. Definitely a design flaw. They asked me to send the pictures and as soon as they saw it they sent me a new one right away. I also have a 378. Hope hat helps

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric