Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #21
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
I have a 2013 378XL with a Civic toad I get between 7 to 8 with 6000 miles on the coach, but who worry's about mpg when you own a trailer or a coach just enjoyed it.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #22

milvet, just don't be obsessed with things you'll have to live with as a matter of fact.
RV's get lousey milage. Period!!!
Your rig is going to get rock and paint chips.
Your toad is going to get rock and paint chips.
Your rig is going to need upkeep and repair.
This is all part of it, just accept it and go on. Enjoy your rig for the reasons your buying it. I've read posts from members who seem so fixated on a minor issue, OMG, my new--- got a rock chip...what do I do now??? Or, I just heard my neighbor is getting 1/2 mpg more than I am!!! What do I do??? And that's all they can think of. That stupid rock chip or getting that 1/2 mpg more.
I, like you, am retired, and I have a lot more important things to worry about when me and the wife are out on the road. Like, what am I going to cook on the grill tonight, or when we walk the dogs tonight, do we turn left or right when we start. You know, important stuff.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The statement, "good gas mileage from my motorhome" is an oxymoron. Best example I can offer.
Kinda like worrying about the calorie content of a 7 layer triple chocolate cream cake.....it is what it is
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #24

After years of keeping track of mileage, I stopped last year because what it came down to was +/- a half mpg at 7 mpg whether towing the DW's RAV4 on our dolly or not. I just keep track of how much we spend on fuel now for budgeting purposes, miles traveled per year, nights camped and overall camping expenses. Like they say, gas mileage "Is what it Is".
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
milvet, just don't be obsessed with things you'll have to live with as a matter of fact.
This is all part of it, just accept it and go on. Enjoy your rig for the reasons your buying it. I've read posts from members who seem so fixated on a minor issue, OMG, my new--- got a rock chip...what do I do now??? Or, I just heard my neighbor is getting 1/2 mpg more than I am!!! What do I do??? And that's all they can think of. That stupid rock chip or getting that 1/2 mpg more.
I, like you, am retired, and I have a lot more important things to worry about when me and the wife are out on the road. Like, what am I going to cook on the grill tonight, or when we walk the dogs tonight, do we turn left or right when we start. You know, important stuff.
Grumpy
x2 well said grumpy0374
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #26

Smile

Quote:
Grumpy
Right on Grumpy. I've been running a 31' class C for seven years now and a would like bit more room (I travel with a wife and two Saint Bernards). Originally asked other folks who went from a C to an A to compare road handling and fuel mileage between the two. Didn't get much of a response so I came to the Class A site and just asked about mileage assuming the handling couldn't be much worse than my C. BTW, the mileage being quoted is for the most part better than my C. I'm in the firm 6 to sometimes close to 7. The front of a C isn't exactly aerodynamic.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #27

milvet, when I read your first post I took it you were a newbie and was looking to get your first rv. Didn't realize you were looking for info on upsizing.
I have a ScanGuage on my rig, though not to keep track of milage. Use it to monitor speed (more accurate than speedo) and temps.
But milage is on there. I run a few mph less than limit, but generally flow with traffic. I tow a Subaru, and on last trip of 1700 miles averaged 6.7 mpg. Thats thru mountains of Va, NC, SC, North Ga, and flats of Ga and Fla.
I would love to put a ScanGuage on some of the rigs that are claiming 10-12 mpg. Believe it would be a shock to some owners!!!
I really only have 4 incriments on my gas guage...
Full---just drivin along
3/4-- keep on truckin
1/2-- thinking about getting gas
1/4--looking for a gas station.
The mpg, to me, is not important.
The fact that we are away, out on the road, heading to a different area, is.
Have fun in your search, find that "perfect" rig, and enjoy.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #28

Right on grumpy with the 4 increment gas gauge!.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #29

You'll get better mileage in Canada! Our imperial gallon is a bit more than the US gallon. 😉🚍

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #30

PaulK I'll be sure to fill up when we visit bro n sister in law in Stony Creek. Every little bit we can do to convince ourselves of the great Milanese our rigs get, lol!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #31
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
Thinking of purchasing a 270 or 310 Georgetown. Concerned about MPG on these units (coach and toad). Can you owners give me an idea of what kind of gas mileage to expect.

You will never be happy if you are concerned about gas mileage. RVing is about having fun with family and friends. Gas mileage is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #32

25,000 miles of record keeping = 6.8 MPG. Now I don't keep records anymore.

By the way, the last time I was in Canada they sold me liters. I never saw an Imperial gallon.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #33

Quote:
In the long run, does it really matter that much ?
If one takes a 1000 mile trip, using $3.00 a gallon for gas---
7 mpg would cost approx $428.00 142 gallons
8 mpg would cost approx $375.00 125 gallons
So, if you get the lower mpg, your going to call off or shorten your planned trip cause it's going to cost you an extra $50.00? I really don't think so.
If your that concerned then you should be considering a Toyota Prius towing a teardrop camper.
Milage in my rig dosen't concern me. What is important is I have a clean bed to sleep in every night, fresh food everyday, our two dogs with us, a change of scenery when we want it, friendly people next to us (usually), and the ability to come and go as we please.
Think of it in terms of smiles per mile and enjoyment per trip instead of mpg.
Grumpy

X2. Nothing quite like it👍🏽👍🏽

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #34
Retired US Army CW4

When I can drive a 34 foot house pulling a four door Jeep down the highway at 60 mph and get 8 mpg I smile all the way! Besides, I can always say my Jeep gets GREAT mileage.......when I'm pulling it with the motor home.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Grape Escape

Just ask a salesman. They almost always inflate x 2 if it makes you happy.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #36

So if I get 7.3 mpgs towing my Tacoma that gets 24 mpgs (when not being towed) for 3000 miles, do I use the average for my trip mpgs ... which is around 15 mpgs? That's pretty good mileage!!
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #37

I would think if the op needs to worry about gas milage he would be better off buying a tent. As he already knows RVs aren't known for gas milage.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #38
Tinkerer and Putterer

Aerodynamics will play a bigger role in mileage than weight and length. I went from a 23ft C to a 32 ft C and the mileage change was 0.5 mpg. I was able to get it back by dropping 5 mph off my cruising speed and swapping a free flowing air filter for a dirty one. My bet is that moving from the C to the A you will see about a 0.25 to 0.5 drop in your average MPG based on your driving habits. That being said I have seen mileage ranging from 6.7 to 9.2 depending on weather, incline, towing and the speed I think I want to travel. The 9.2 was in the midwest on mostly flat roads, no stop and go and with a tail wind. The 6.7 was towing a toad down the east coast into a nasty head wind at 70 mph. I would LOVE 10 mpg but I know I'll never see it cruising at 60-65 mph. I played around with higher octane fuels, fuel cleaners and octane tricks with no noticeable difference other than I hear a part throttle ping when I run 87 so I now run 89 or 93. I still run fuel injection cleaner every three months but that's more for the genny than the rig. The carburetor on the genny does not like the ethanol in many fuels and the cleaner helps keep the gunk down in the carb.

Maybe if I dropped to 55 mph I could approach 10 mpg...
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #39

Fuel mileage should only be a curiosity. If it is a big concern, you need to find another sport/hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #40
Tinkerer and Putterer

For me personally it is a curiosity. Something that I can play around with to try and learn something but when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars (or thousands) I draw the line.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote