Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Fuel Line - stranded in Branson Mo

Hi friends. Long story short....was supposed to leave this AM and right after starting I noticed a fuel leak (2017 Georgetown 31B3 f53). Have been all day with Coach Net and the best they can find is a auto repair place about 90 miles away with it sitting there for 4 weeks before they can look at it. I know the fuel line from the engine is the issue. The ford dealer in town is overnighting the part. It looks like the part is the fuel and return line all in one. It matches what I see under the cowling and under the RV. Each end has a clip and I am wondering if there is more to it than meets the eye on removing the old and installing the new. Mainly, once I remove the clip will the line easily come out of the connector or is there a certain way I should be going about it. Any suggestions are appreciated....Looks like the part will be here tomorrow. Coach net was not able to find a ford dealer within 200 miles of me that said they would help.

Attached a pic of the existing line and the replacement line ordered from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	259539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_085041_HDR.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	259540  
Old 07-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #2

Are you at an rv park? They might have numbers of mobile rv mechanics that could help.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Once you remove the plastic clip, the line just pulls off.

Typically, the new line is loaded with the clips and to install, you don't need to remove the clip, just push the line on. The clip expands and locks into place once seated.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Are you at an rv park? They might have numbers of mobile rv mechanics that could help.
We have tried all day to get someone.....the park only allows certain ones in due to insurance and the ones they allowed in were not available. One thing about Coach-net is they pay for 1 service call only so if they paid for a tech and he wasn't able to do it the tow would be on me. they have tried all day to help me......no ford dealers anywhere around would help......
Old 07-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Once you remove the plastic clip, the line just pulls off.

Typically, the new line is loaded with the clips and to install, you don't need to remove the clip, just push the line on. The clip expands and locks into place once seated.
Thanks for that info....that was my main unanswered concern. Looks like 4 clips total with the ones underneath being the type that needs to be squeezed. I was unsure how easily the line would come out. I just loosened the bracket with a 1/2 inch socket so other than removing the ends it should be relatively easy to swap out once the part gets here.

On a side issue after talking to ford I find out it is indeed under warranty except the dealer never notified ford that I purchased it in FEB of 2018 instead of the delivery date that ford has with its record of 5/2016 so it is 3 days out of the 5 year warranty period. They need my dealer to send them a "delayed warranty start date" form to get reimbursed so now I have another rabbit hole to go down.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
On a side issue after talking to ford I find out it is indeed under warranty except the dealer never notified ford that I purchased it in FEB of 2018 instead of the delivery date that ford has with its record of 5/2016 so it is 3 days out of the 5 year warranty period. They need my dealer to send them a "delayed warranty start date" form to get reimbursed so now I have another rabbit hole to go down.
You definitely are not the first person that a dealer pulled that on.

Our warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles with 5 years of Ford roadside assistance. If you have that number handy, I'd try giving them a call. They may have more pull.

Ray
Old 07-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You definitely are not the first person that a dealer pulled that on.

Our warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles with 5 years of Ford roadside assistance. If you have that number handy, I'd try giving them a call. They may have more pull.

Ray
Thanks. At this point i am going to try and fix it...i have the old one out and waiting on the part.....but next time i will definately go that route....hopefully fird will reimburse me the cost for the part once the dealer straightens it out...
Old 07-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
NXR

How did you find it? A smell, puddle on the ground, or what? I wouldn't think there would be much fuel in the line with the ignition off.

Any idea how the leak occurred? I'd like to crawl underneath and take a look for the same condition if it wasn't just a joint failure or similar.

Ray
Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
How did you find it? A smell, puddle on the ground, or what? I wouldn't think there would be much fuel in the line with the ignition off.

Any idea how the leak occurred? I'd like to crawl underneath and take a look for the same condition if it wasn't just a joint failure or similar.

Ray
We smelled gas after starting the engine and after running a few minutes we saw it start to puddle under the front. I popped the cover off and saw the cut in the line and a steady drip......after thinking back i believe it started as a very tiny leak.....on our last trip the wife mentioned smelling gas after i filled it up....i just blamed it on me maybe stepping in a gas spot at the station.....
Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #10

Getting service here is fairly easy on our Ram diesel pickup.

Is it generally hard to get help with motor homes?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Getting service here is fairly easy on our Ram diesel pickup.

Is it generally hard to get help with motor homes?
I found that out.....no one in a town with so many rvs could help on what seems to be a fairly simple problem....
Old 07-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #12

Special tool

On some of the fuel lines, the external clip is a safety clip. Once you remove it, you need an inexpensive tool to actually release the push-on fitting. Here is a sampling of some of the tools.

When I needed to remove the fuel line on my Tahoe, I registered the vehicle online with Advance Auto and then the website showed me only the tool I needed. Fortunately it was the $4.99 Lisle tool, the blue one. Worked like champ. I just removed the safety clip, then snapped it over the fuel line and pushed in hard.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #13

Part arrived next day.....10 minutes to put it in and no more leak! I would really like to know what caused it.....there us nothing any where near the crack in the line that would cause that. We stay at parks and feed squirrels....i wonder if a squirrel could have bit that.....i cant imagine one doing that but who knows.....happy ending and thanks for all the great info from you folks.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
On some of the fuel lines, the external clip is a safety clip. Once you remove it, you need an inexpensive tool to actually release the push-on fitting. Here is a sampling of some of the tools.

When I needed to remove the fuel line on my Tahoe, I registered the vehicle online with Advance Auto and then the website showed me only the tool I needed. Fortunately it was the $4.99 Lisle tool, the blue one. Worked like champ. I just removed the safety clip, then snapped it over the fuel line and pushed in hard.
I was able to squeeze just enough to get them off....one was partularly hard and almost headed to the parts store....
Old 08-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #15

Sad to hear you couldn't get help but glad it all worked out and was an easy fix. Nice work on your part all around.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
. We stay at parks and feed squirrels....i wonder if a squirrel could have bit that.....i cant imagine one doing that but who knows.....happy ending and thanks for all the great info from you folks.
Actually, it might have been a critter. We have a friend that has a miniature railroad in his yard and the squirrels love to sharpen their teeth on his aluminum rail. They've actually ruined some of the rail with their persistent sharpening. Glad you got it fixed.

Tags
branson, fuel