Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Doug, just stop and think about what they are stating that a pc of screen wire on the outside of the trailer causes a malfunction in an electrically energized gas valve inside the furnace. It defies logic and common sense. Just because Suburban published it doesn't make it fact. Like "it's on the internet, so it has to be true."
Ok, Neil.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Doug, just stop and think about what they are stating that a pc of screen wire on the outside of the trailer causes a malfunction in an electrically energized gas valve inside the furnace. It defies logic and common sense. Just because Suburban published it doesn't make it fact. Like "it's on the internet, so it has to be true."
Now you're totally making stuff up. It doesn't say or imply that in any form.

You shouldn't just assume that every screen is made like the one you use. You shouldn't just assume that every screen covers the same holes in the vent that yours does. You shouldn't just assume that you know more than the engineers that wrote that information to cover the range of conditions that their furnace might be used in.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
It sounds like it's failing to light, tries several times, and then locks out until you reset it (by having the thermostat tell it to turn off).

If you listen at the outside vent when someone turns it on, do you hear clicking (spark) and then does it light and go out,or not light at all?

If you have a bug screen over the outside vent, take that off and see if it helps.
Quote:
Now you're totally making stuff up. It doesn't say or imply that in any form.

You shouldn't just assume that every screen is made like the one you use. You shouldn't just assume that every screen covers the same holes in the vent that yours does. You shouldn't just assume that you know more than the engineers that wrote that information to cover the range of conditions that their furnace might be used in.
Seems to me you implied that the bug screen was a possible problem. I am merely pointing out how unlikely that is and challenging the published statement.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
A screen added to the outside intake/exhaust of the furnace that is designed for it will most likely have little effect on air flow. Add enough contamination to it (dirt, grease lint etc etc) to it and it might reduce air flow enough to affect the sail switch from closing or the over temperature disk in the burner section might open, thus a malfunctinning furnace....
Exactly what I was thinking, and what I believe Suburban has in mind as well.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Always Learning

And, at this point - we're far from helping Arvicu (yes, I'm guilty of the diversion from the OP's issues).

Arvicu, I think Dave posted a link to the manual. Barry offered a suggestion that appears to be highly contested of removing but screens if you have any.

Have you had any luck in getting this resolved?

Other folks on the thread- ignoring the big screen, are there other ideas for things to try with the furnaces wiring that the OP can try
Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #26

The OP indicated in post #4 that the problem had gone away.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #27

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

I think he should check for loose wires, etc in the thermostat.

To the screen issue, the Suburban RV FURNACES SERVICE MANUAL pg 39 states: MAINTENANCE
Preventative maintenance is essential if an RV owner is to have reliable, safe operation of his furnace. Two important areas to watch closely in order to assure safe, reliable operation are the venting and the main burner. An obstruction in the vent or main burner will reduce the combustion air which results in incomplete combustion. Whenever incomplete combustion occurs, the by-products are carbon monoxide (CO) and soot. If the furnace outside exhaust vent shows black soot forming, the furnace should not be operated until the problem is corrected. Two common causes are:
1. Restriction in the vent or furnace intake (screens, wasp nests, tape).
2. Dirty burner..."
Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
The OP indicated in post #4 that the problem had gone away.
Thanks, I see that now.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
Arvicru

All is well on the thermostat now. Just that first night. Still think altitude and possible air/moisture in the line. We are in Idaho now and furnace fired up and is working well (thank god, it is supposed to get down to 11-15 degrees tonight). Also, I have no screen on my outside vent and do believe the thermostats that are installed are bottom end and will replace them when I get back. Also developed a new problem, don't know if it is the cold/altitude or both. My mirrors are popping out in master bedroom closet doors and the glass above table??? Still having a great time..
Arvicru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace