Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Furnace turning off

Ok so I've had the new camper at home for a week and I've been trying to test it out driveway camping to learn the systems and do quality control. In two separate occasions the heat turned off. Thermostat was on and showing furnace as selected and an obviously higher temp displayed than was actually in the coach. It wasn't blowing any air out of the floor vents at all? I had to turn it off for a minute and then turn it back on for it to work. Another time it was just blowing air but not warm air. Is this normal?
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Happily Retired Member

Don't know what model and year you have. My 2013 378 XL had a similar problem. The main furnace would just shut down. Found that the over temp safety was shutting the furnace off. The problem was that the air flow through the furnace was inadequate. Their was only two heater vents coming out and the heat inside the furnace would build up and the safety would shut it down. The fix was to add another hot air outlet on the furnace. We built another hot air vent that ran behind the love seat and exited behind the recliner just behind the drivers seat on the main slide out.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Furnace turning off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeystamper View Post
Don't know what model and year you have. My 2013 378 XL had a similar problem. The main furnace would just shut down. Found that the over temp safety was shutting the furnace off. The problem was that the air flow through the furnace was inadequate. Their was only two heater vents coming out and the heat inside the furnace would build up and the safety would shut it down. The fix was to add another hot air outlet on the furnace. We built another hot air vent that ran behind the love seat and exited behind the recliner just behind the drivers seat on the main slide out.

Forgot to mention it is a 2016 364TS. Funny you mention the need for an additional vent register because it was pretty cold today and I noticed not very many vents and not very evenly spread out vents for even heat distribution. I have two furnaces I assume since I have two thermostats. It happened to both though. You didn't happen to take pics of your mod did you? I have NO IDEA how to do that myself. Seems I shouldn't have to though if it is a faulty design. The thing is only a month old.....
Melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Happily Retired Member

Furnace turning off

Melvinson404

My 378 also has two furnaces. Only the main furnace had an issue. Sorry no photos, the modification was under warranty, but a simple mod. The main furnace had two heat ducts, both came out near each other close to the furnace. The added heat vent just taped into an existing break away on the furnace metal body. A flexible heat duct was added to the removed break away and a box section was built behind the love seat running forward with the exit at the forward end behind the love seat with the flexible heat duct inside. On my 378 the furnace and added duct work is all contained on the main slide out which is just behind the driver on the left side. If both furnaces are experiencing the same issue, you may have an LP flow problem, especially if both furnaces go out together.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
toolman_57

Probably the sail switch
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

Not to sound like an SA, but do you have propane? We ran into a similar issue while camping and didn't realize that we were low when we set up. Filled the tanks and the problem resolved.

Tags
furnace