Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Gasolia or Kolor Kut water detecting paste.

I started a thread a few days back concerning possible varnishing of gas in my fuel system in addition to phase seperation ( water absorbtion ) . I had filled the gas tank full last October and had difficulty adding stabilzer. Some of the responders thought there might be an issue with varnishing in the generator carb but that would be it .Others thought the gas might be compromised and should be replaced. ( 80 gal) .

In doing some research I ran across water detecting paste ( Gasolia or Kolor Kut) which gas stations smear on the end of their measuring sticks ( Kolor Kut website also mentions weighted string) When dipped into station gas tank it turns a certain color if water is present.

I was thinking if I smeared some of this on the end of a flexible rope and somehow got it to go down into the tank I could determine if I had to go siphon out the gas or not . I know it's a long shot but has anyone done this or want to comment.

The other question I have is my intitial ( and not so successful) addition of stabilizer was October . Spring ( the earliest chance to work do anything ) doesn't arrive here until late April . Would the addition of more stabilizer ( estimated amount not making it in) now make sense

Thanks to all for yor ideas etc
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #2

My advice is to worry less, camp more.

Just drive the thing and I think it will be fine. 6 months of sitting for a motorhome is really nothing to worry about.

Also, if there is a rollover valve or anti siphon device in that fuel tank, it may not be so easy to stick things in there.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

Just drive the thing and I think it will be fine. 6 months of sitting for a motorhome is really nothing to worry about.

Also, if there is a rollover valve or anti siphon device in that fuel tank, it may not be so easy to stick things in there.

Appreciate the reply . It's really tempting for me to do what you suggest . However past experiences of being too cavalier have made me more cautious than perhapes I need to be.
I'd like to at least test the gas quality . That way I know I can do as you suggest without the risk of damaging the engine ($$) . I have a Ford Workshop Manual for model year of stripped chassis and it has an exploded view of the Fuel Tank and Filler Pipe Assembly as well as a list of components . It doesn't list a rollover valve or any anti siphon device ( due to locking door covering gas cap?) . So I'm thinking it might be possible to get something down with this paste I've read about and ,if need be ,siphon the gas out if it looks to be contaminated
Old 03-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My concern using your 'rope' method would be if one would really get an accurate measurement of whether/how much water/moisture you had in the tank. (if any)

You'd never really have peace of mind unless you dropped the tank and removed the sender/pump.

With that said... I think this is much ado over nothing. We have had motorhomes in the past and other vehicles that sit for months and it was never an issue. My plow truck often sits for 8 months straight without moving/starting and it fires right up with no issues every fall.

Unless you feel you loaded your tank with water contaminated fuel, I'd not be so concerned with today's blends in an automobile/vehicle.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
I started a thread a few days back concerning possible varnishing of gas in my fuel system in addition to phase seperation ( water absorbtion ) . I had filled the gas tank full last October and had difficulty adding stabilzer. Some of the responders thought there might be an issue with varnishing in the generator carb but that would be it .Others thought the gas might be compromised and should be replaced. ( 80 gal) .

In doing some research I ran across water detecting paste ( Gasolia or Kolor Kut) which gas stations smear on the end of their measuring sticks ( Kolor Kut website also mentions weighted string) When dipped into station gas tank it turns a certain color if water is present.

I was thinking if I smeared some of this on the end of a flexible rope and somehow got it to go down into the tank I could determine if I had to go siphon out the gas or not . I know it's a long shot but has anyone done this or want to comment.

The other question I have is my intitial ( and not so successful) addition of stabilizer was October . Spring ( the earliest chance to work do anything ) doesn't arrive here until late April . Would the addition of more stabilizer ( estimated amount not making it in) now make sense

Thanks to all for yor ideas etc
Gasolia or Kolor Kut is not going to give any answers that have value. It is used to see how inches of water are on the top of large industrial oil or gasoline storage tanks. a lot water in gasoline will typically plug the fuel filter. If you are not willing to drive it you will have to drop the tank and empty it. It's the only way to be sure.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

Don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post

I agree.

I spent several years of my (misspent) youth servicing small engines. Stale gas was never an issue. In my dotage (now), I use my 4-cycle mower once a year for mulching leaves and then blow them with my 2-cycle blower. I probably get gas about every third year. Gas cans and mower are stored outside. Never had any issues with stale gas. Maybe you are overthinking this.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

I have used that product for years in checking my personal underground tanks. In vehicles I put it on the end of some old speedometer cable material. Then you will know when you hit bottom and it is good snake material.
Someone mentioned that is for checking how much water is on top, of course we know that is not correct.
As for how good the gas may be is widely variable. One never knows how much water was already absorbed when it was purchased. I have replaced numerous small motor tanks due to water rusting them out. You are much safer with the enclosed systems today on vehicles.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Someone mentioned that is for checking how much water is on top, of course we know that is not correct.
I used it 5 days a week for several years. I had crude oil tanks that had to be manually gauged with a tank strap. Basically a plumb bob on the end of a tape measure. I would spread the paste on the foot or two of the tape that I suspected would indicate how many feet of water was on top of the crude oil. Nobody wants to buy 500 barrels (42 gallons to the barrel)of crude oil with a foot of water on the top. So it's not wrong, just an application you might not be aware of.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I used it 5 days a week for several years. I had crude oil tanks that had to be manually gauged with a tank strap. Basically a plumb bob on the end of a tape measure. I would spread the paste on the foot or two of the tape that I suspected would indicate how many feet of water was on top of the crude oil. Nobody wants to buy 500 barrels (42 gallons to the barrel)of crude oil with a foot of water on the top. So it's not wrong, just an application you might not be aware of.
You are telling me water sits on top of gasoline?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #10

Gas

If it is running fine, put a couple of bottles of “Heat” in it and drive the gas up. I used to sale and service power equipment. The ethanol in gas breaks down and absorbs moisture. The small power tool engines today designed for better emissions, will not handle this. Car engines are not as critical.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Delivered gas, diesel, and jet fuel for six years. We always use Koloa Kut. IIRC it goes on dark yellow and turns red where the water is.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

Heet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
If it is running fine, put a couple of bottles of “Heat” in it and drive the gas up. I used to sale and service power equipment. The ethanol in gas breaks down and absorbs moisture. The small power tool engines today designed for better emissions, will not handle this. Car engines are not as critical.
Ah! Heet (two ee's). It's actually methanol. See the MSDS. With non-ethanol gasoline, you are adding alcohol to mix with any water that's gotten in, often by condensation. Not sure what the benefit is when added to E10, E15, or E85 since there's already alcohol in the gasoline.

That said, I make sure to run pure gasoline (no ethanol blends) in all 2-cycle equipment and any 4-cycle gear that's not 100% metallic (e.g., Viton float needle tip in the carburetor). The ethanol blends seem to make the clear fuel tubing brittle in chainsaws and leaf blowers and cause early failure of the rubber-like parts in the carburetors.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
I have used that product for years in checking my personal underground tanks. In vehicles I put it on the end of some old speedometer cable material. Then you will know when you hit bottom and it is good snake material.
As for how good the gas may be is widely variable. One never knows how much water was already absorbed when it was purchased. I have replaced numerous small motor tanks due to water rusting them out. You are much safer with the enclosed systems today on vehicles.

Thanks for the tip on the speedometer cable I'll check out some auto supplies. As the day's gone on I've thought of another option to explore. The mh has Onan gas onboard generator which draws fuel from the gas tank. It could serve as a proxy for the motorhome motor to see if the fuel sourse is ok . And since they're meant to run a fair bit I can draw down older fuel in order and replace it with fresh gas .

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to offer their ideas and comments
Old 03-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
Professional Texan

Quote:
You are telling me water sits on top of gasoline?
No

Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #15

Hi Just having a few issues getting logged on . I am a computer dummy. If you suspect water in your fuel , add gas line de-icer or another alc. such as methel hydrate or the fuel they run in sprint cars. Use about 1/2 cup per 20 gallons of gas. Then just use your engine normally . Thats the old school way from the 50s and 60s.Works every time without failure. Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
No
Just wondering because your post said gasoline as well as crude oil. Since the question applied to gasoline anyway.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb16fq77 View Post
Hi Just having a few issues getting logged on . I am a computer dummy. If you suspect water in your fuel , add gas line de-icer or another alc. such as methel hydrate or the fuel they run in sprint cars. Use about 1/2 cup per 20 gallons of gas. Then just use your engine normally . Thats the old school way from the 50s and 60s.Works every time without failure. Rob
Not if phase separation has already occurred.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the speedometer cable I'll check out some auto supplies. As the day's gone on I've thought of another option to explore. The mh has Onan gas onboard generator which draws fuel from the gas tank. It could serve as a proxy for the motorhome motor to see if the fuel sourse is ok . And since they're meant to run a fair bit I can draw down older fuel in order and replace it with fresh gas .

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to offer their ideas and comments
Just keep in mind the generator doesn’t draw from as close to the bottom as the main engine.
Speedometer cable is old stuff these days, but also used as tachometer cable on older tractors.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #19
Professional Texan

Quote:
Just wondering because your post said gasoline as well as crude oil. Since the question applied to gasoline anyway.
I've never used it on gasoline. I used to measure the level of water on top of crude oil.

Any time I have seen water in gasoline it emulsifies with it and with ethanol mixed with it would help that process.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
I've never used it on gasoline. I used to measure the level of water on top of crude oil.

Any time I have seen water in gasoline it emulsifies with it and with ethanol mixed with it would help that process.
I was just going by what you said. As far as emulsification it would take alcohol to creat that, but it eventually ends as phase separation. Then you have major problems.

Tags
gas, water